IGNORED

Joel Robles

He looked ok yesterday because they had 2 shots on target (no joke) he saved one (spilt it) and conceded one.

I don't think he's the best shot stopper. However so far so good with him. Ain't been tested too much though.

Exactly this. Wait until he has 5 or 6 shots on target against him.

Can't believe people are changing their minds after one performance where there were 2 shots on target and as you said he spilled one of those the other he could do nothing about.

Exactly this. Wait until he has 5 or 6 shots on target against him.

Can't believe people are changing their minds after one performance where there were 2 shots on target and as you said he spilled one of those the other he could do nothing about.

Im not included in this as I have always stated he should be given a chance.

Guest rusty747

He will never be our regular first choice keeper and he knows it too which I think is affecting his attitude and confidence. The sooner we can get Marshall in with Hennessey as cover the happier I will be. We need 'keepers like Southall and Mimms not Laurel and Hardy.

He will never be our regular first choice keeper and he knows it too which I think is affecting his attitude and confidence. The sooner we can get Marshall in with Hennessey as cover the happier I will be. We need 'keepers like Southall and Mimms not Laurel and Hardy.

Hennessey is a clown, no better than Howard. Marshall, though, I'd have him for sure.

Guest rusty747

Marshall for me as well with a young, quality keeper to keep him honest. I have seen Griffiths a couple of times and would be ok giving him some game time at the end of the season when we have nothing left to play for.

How many goalkeepers end up on the scrap heap because they made mistakes at a young age? EVERY GOALKEEPER makes mistakes.

You don't become a premier league/championship goalkeeper without having top reactions and agility. The deciding factor is confidence and the ability to brush mistakes off.

Whats the difference between Jim Leighton and Peter Schmichael? Both won trophies under SAF - both domestic and European. The problem with Leighton was that he cared too much and when he made a mistake when United were under pressure he carried the can. Fergie always made keepers the fall guy, Schmichael had an arrogance that meant when he made a mistake he never believed he actually did.

Fergie turned a top WC winner in Barthez into a wreck. Tim Hiward had many good years with us because of SAF, Ben Foster actualluy is playing well now. Its all confidence and security. Give the lad a run of games.

Guest rusty747

I wouldn't argue with the need for a winger but I do think a quality keeper is vital. I thougjt Marshall was 'only' 29 but that could give us 6 years at the top of his game. If that gets us another 5-10 points a season then I would say £8mill is cheap.

Im not included in this as I have always stated he should be given a chance.

Well he's got one now and I genuinally hope he proves me wrong it would be great if he became a de Gea (sp) and we had a goalie of that calibre so young but I just don't see it in him.

I'm glad he's getting a chance though cos at least we'll know for sure after he's had a decent run.

He looked ok yesterday because they had 2 shots on target (no joke) he saved one (spilt it) and conceded one.

I don't think he's the best shot stopper. However so far so good with him. Ain't been tested too much though.

The first shot was at a tight angle, and I thought he did well to block it. Immediately, he pounced on the spilled ball as a City player rushed in. Frankly, I think that shot would have been difficult to hold.

Agree with you that he needs to be tested, and maybe the next few weeks will allow that. Personally, I think he has considerable ability and just needs the chance to prove it.

If an outfield player barely played for a year and a half and then was put straight into the team you'd expect rustiness on their apart, so I don't know why goalkeepers don't get the same leeway. Judge him after he's had a good run of games (which he's going to get), and if he still makes basic errors then fair enough.

If an outfield player barely played for a year and a half and then was put straight into the team you'd expect rustiness on their apart, so I don't know why goalkeepers don't get the same leeway. Judge him after he's had a good run of games (which he's going to get), and if he still makes basic errors then fair enough.

He needs games that's evident. However, I look at a couple of goals he's conceded: Southampton at home (13/14) and Kransnodor. Basic Goalkeeping and he has made terrible blunders. The last two games he has not been tested. He just doesn't put faith in me.

If we do get a keeper in this month and Robles is dropped, I think that tells us Martinez doesn't trust him either.

He needs games that's evident. However, I look at a couple of goals he's conceded: Southampton at home (13/14) and Kransnodor. Basic Goalkeeping and he has made terrible blunders. The last two games he has not been tested. He just doesn't put faith in me.

If we do get a keeper in this month and Robles is dropped, I think that tells us Martinez doesn't trust him either.

Put an outfield player in a competitive game when he's rusty and you will see "basic" errors in their control and passing. It's just that they aren't the person in between the ball and the goal.

The first shot was at a tight angle, and I thought he did well to block it. Immediately, he pounced on the spilled ball as a City player rushed in. Frankly, I think that shot would have been difficult to hold.

Agree with you that he needs to be tested, and maybe the next few weeks will allow that. Personally, I think he has considerable ability and just needs the chance to prove it.

I'd rather he wasn't tested personally, I'd prefer it if he just spectated while we banged in a few at the other end every game :).

I'm surprised no one has posted to this thread after today's game. I was working and couldn't watch but, by all accounts, Robles played a blinder. He's taken so much flak ever since he joined the team, so maybe it's time to now give the lad credit. He's earned the right to continue in goal, and he even has the chance to keep the position when Howard is back.

Just a tad hypocritical there

No. I just don't subscribe to the usual boo boys. If we spend £28m on someone who tells us he's complete and strolls around then he's gonna get it.

It's funny, it's always the players desperate to prove themselves who suffer, not the ones who become legends before they are players.

Gutter for Joel in the pens!! Really wish he had sunk it because he deserved to win it! Top performance and with Carroll (and cole) up top for west ham, it was good to see him coming out and being dominant!!

Did he get a yellow in the Shootout for getting in the ear of a west ham player?? Because Adrian the cocky wanker was doing it for nearly every spotty!!

Gutter for Joel in the pens!! Really wish he had sunk it because he deserved to win it! Top performance and with Carroll (and cole) up top for west ham, it was good to see him coming out and being dominant!!

Did he get a yellow in the Shootout for getting in the ear of a west ham player?? Because Adrian the cocky wanker was doing it for nearly every spotty!!

No, he was booked for time wasting during extra-time.

He had a good game yesterday, more of the same please and I'll be delighted. Thought he had his positioning wrong for their first goal though, he saved one pen but never got near any of the others but his performance in the 120 minutes was great.

I'll reserve judgement for another 5 games though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...