IGNORED

Joel Robles

Solid again tonight. How annoying is it to imagine how well we could have done with him in net from the beginning of this season? Where would we be now (in the table)?

Title challenge!?

Think we would have been top 4 or there abouts last year with the switch.

We are so much more confident in the back right now its ridiculous. Martinez can go eat a dried shriveled-up hot dog for not putting Joel in sooner. Its not just him and his commanding the area that's better, but its the confidence he exudes on the four lads in front of him. Later Howard - enjoy the Rocky Mountains.

Actually I went to grad school in Colorado and its a very beautiful state - but LOTS of fuckin' rednecks who like them some guns, cowboy boots, and big hats. No joke.

Also unsure here.

Flapped at a cross yet again yesterday and his distribution was erratic.

Makes me uneasy.

It was his worst game since becoming our number one, but again, he's still learning his role as a first-teamer. After the patience shown with Howard, who is an experienced keeper, it's incredible how quickly people jump on Joel.

It was his worst game since becoming our number one, but again, he's still learning his role as a first-teamer. After the patience shown with Howard, who is an experienced keeper, it's incredible how quickly people jump on Joel.

Ye I think I'm so unsure of any keeper for the last few years it just makes me jittery.

If Joel played all season, McCarthy didn't get injured and Jags didn't get injured, we could be challenging.

In fairness, Martinez had influence in the decisions to actually play Joel. He can't predict the injury list, but that (Joel for Tim) alone, could have gained us a few places. I genuinely believe that.

In fairness, Martinez had influence in the decisions to actually play Joel. He can't predict the injury list, but that (Joel for Tim) alone, could have gained us a few places. I genuinely believe that.

Absolutely a few places - you can include last season as well. Joel is learning and not an "ace" yet, but his overall presence is far and above Flappy Howard at this point.

• 2 weeks later...

exactly. he defended well and had a couple wild plays but clean sheet and he's still so young, he will grow and learn.

still haven't conceded a goal in the cup.

Doesn't inspire confidence in me though, not a number one if we're aiming where we should be. Even Graeme Sharp on Football Focus earlier when asked about our Summer priorities said goalkeeper first.

Think the clean sheet was more about the players in front of him today. They had 1 shot on target.

Looked a bit flappy today. And has done a few times.

I want to see him in a game where he has to save shot after shot, claim every cross cleanly etc. Then you'll know if he's 'the one'.

I'm not sure he is but he will do for now.

Thought he did well today Costa would've had a penalty today if Howard had been playing, at least Robles got him into a position where scoring wasn't that simple.

Kept De Gea out of the Spain U21 team and he's only 25 (isn't he?) so loads of time to improve but to improve he has to play.

spot on. i thought he played that very well and made it impossible for costa to make the shot. also when he went into a slide on the other close run by a chelsea player and pulled out at the last second it was another well timed play. didn't give a pen and it was a goal kick and prevented a shot.

Thought he did well today Costa would've had a penalty today if Howard had been playing, at least Robles got him into a position where scoring wasn't that simple.

Kept De Gea out of the Spain U21 team and he's only 25 (isn't he?) so loads of time to improve but to improve he has to play.

He was supposed to be very good when he was young but never got the chance to play regularly early in his career.

He's got the frame and the looks of a decent keeper that can become very good, but he needs to be more commanding. Let's see if there is something in there of that alleged potential.

Can we put this one to bed now?

I honestly would rather have Howard.

Shots to conceded goals ratio Howard is the better keeper.

Howard has 12 shots on target, conceded two or three.

Robles, it's pretty much 50% conceded.

Not sure of actual stats but come on, anyone can see that one we get shots on target, we concede.

Get Howard back in, or try someone else.

Not sure of actual stats but come on, anyone can see that one we get shots on target, we concede.

I agree, said the same in the match-day thread earlier.

You forget that Howard did major mistakes every game.

But I don't think it's ever been a possibility that Robles would be #1 next season.