IGNORED

Joel Robles

Hamsters or no hamsters, Scarlett Johannsen or no Scarlett Johannsen......THREE (3) clean sheets in a row.

Doesn't matter how or why. Bottom line is that Joel plays with confidence, the defence plays with confidence with Joel in.

Bravo Joel!!! You go lad!!!!

What will make us supporters nauseous is that Howard will go right back in, and I just can't understand that logic.

In any event, hats off to Joel. Clean sheets? I'll take them, thank you very much.......with a side order of Scarlett Johannsen.

Guest rusty747

Joel does seem to be having a calming effect on the back four. I think he should stay in goal now and Howard can get splinters on the bench.

Edited by rusty747

Joel does seem to be having a calming effect on the back four. I think he should stay in goal now and Howard can get splinters on the bench.

definately agree with this, in the city semi at the Etihad a ball got played over the top and Robles come out headed clear and dealt with it. You could see the defence trusted him. I know he may punch the ball a bit much for some but that's just his style. We have to play the inform players and if Howard is such a pro he should readily accept this

I agree with what your saying Matt but the players do seem to be more calm with him there I know certainly am

His positional awareness distribution etc has been head and shoulders above Howard's tbh and he seems to have alot of confidence in himself which is infectious and I think it's starting to show

they do but I really don't think it's down to Robles. He's a part of it, but not the biggest contributer.

they do but I really don't think it's down to Robles. He's a part of it, but not the biggest contributer.

Maybe this a bit corny (or tacky) this....... but:

to properly make bread you need just a few ingredients. However, if you forget the yeast, you won't have bread. Only a little yeast is needed, but oh so important.

Right now with the synergy created by this current back 4 (and Joel), the bread is being baked properly due to all of the correct ingredients. The style of play has also improved, but at the core the bakery is fully operational. Its working, folks. I told you this was corny, but I think there is some truth here. Sometimes one ingredient can make all the difference. Is Joel the magic ingredient? Is Stones absence also part of the magic? Ask the baker.

In any event, why would anybody (i.e. Martinez) change anything with three wins and three clean sheets in a row? I say let it roll for as long as it keeps working. I am not sure Roberto shares this logic unfortunately.

JOEL IN. HOWARD OUT.

COYB!!!

People are going on about him barely having anything to do, but when he's had saves to make he's made them. Plus, the goalkeeper is expected to do so much more than shot stop. He needs to be a good distributor, organise the defence, be a calming influence to the defence, make saves, command the penalty area etc etc.

Joel's distribution is high quality IMO, he speaks to his defence so there's good communication there, he clearly IS a calming influence on our defence (you can visibly see it), he has made saves (most of them routine, but a few that weren't), and he definitely commands his area. To this last point - he may get it wrong occasionally but at least our defenders know without a doubt that he's going to come, so they don't need to hesitate like they do with Howard.

Yes, the defence are playing better but I honestly believe a big reason behind that is Joel Robles. He may not be our answer to being our new number one but he's having a good crack at it so far.

Edited by Romey 1878

People are going on about him barely having anything to do, but when he's had saves to make he's made them. Plus, the goalkeeper is expected to do so much more than shot stop. He needs to be a good distributor, organise the defence, be a calming influence to the defence, make saves, command the penalty area etc etc.

Joel's distribution is high quality IMO, he speaks to his defence so there's good communication there, he clearly IS a calming influence on our defence (you can visibly see it), he has made saves (most of them routine, but a few that weren't), and he definitely commands his area. To this last point - he may get it wrong occasionally but at least our defenders know without a doubt that he's going to come, so they don't need to hesitate like they do with Howard.

Yes, the defence are playing better but I honestly believe a big reason behind that is Joel Robles. He may not be our answer to being our new number one but he's having a good crack at it so far.

Kinda his job though.

I've always been a supporter of Robles, was made up when we picked him up because he had impressed me the few times I saw him play at Wigan.

I agree, he is a step up in terms of distribution and commanding his area, and I absolutely don't mean to take all credit away from him. But, McCarthy and Cleverly have more influence than he does I believe, Lennon to an extent too - that energy has snuffed out most attacks before they get to the 18y box, meaning the CBs are more composed. Most importantly is the right and left footed CBs in their natural positions and not having Jags playing out of position as LCB to accomodate Stones.

Anyway, like I said, don't want to take anything away from him and made up he's impressing :)

I don't think so, everybody knows he is going in the summer so there is no long term reason to play him.

Rubles has kept clean sheets in 2 PL matches in a row, when clean sheets are so hard to get.

Martinez has said that form is the ultimate decider.

4 clean sheets in a row including Fa Cup.

10 Games, 9 conceded, 5 clean sheets.

Stand by him Roberto.

Punches more, but also looks quite solid on most of the things he does.

Something I noticed, he's not scared of kicking it far away to Lukaku. I feel this has helped the team tremendously, as Lukaku is winning most of the headers and also our lines regroup.

Same trend with Jags and Funes Mori, when they feel they can play short passes they do, but when they doubt they aim for the big man up front and we look much more solid.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...