IGNORED

Joel Robles

He's not shit but he's not a top class keeper either, that's the problem.

To seriously push on we need a De Gea, Lloris, Courtois or dare I say a Hart!

he was second fiddle to De Gea for years, 2nd again now and I'm convinced he'll improve massively if he's given a run. Plus, for a keeper, hes still very young.

I have been critising him regularly.

But I have to concede that I have been wrong recently. He has been much better than I thought.

My point about him not facing many shots though was the number of them. If you gave one and save it you are 100%

But he is saving them when h faces them.

I have been critising him regularly.

But I have to concede that I have been wrong recently. He has been much better than I thought.

My point about him not facing many shots though was the number of them. If you gave one and save it you are 100%

But he is saving them when h faces them.

plus, he's facing less because the team in front of him are cutting down the chances which is a massive factor too

I think he can be a very good shot stopper, his reach alone is massive.

The save that impressed me most was the Silva chance. Well in fact it wasn't even a chance in the end because before Silva could even get the ball under control properly, Joel was off his line and at his feet. Most keepers would have still been on the goal line making it a really good chance.

He is clearly still raw. There was a time that he came for the ball miles away from goal before someone else cleared it, and on another day that could have caused problems, as could the penalty challenge but young keepers need games and lots of them. I see plenty in him to say that he could be a really good keeper in a few years time but he will need to mature and be a lot more composed.

I think he can be a very good shot stopper, his reach alone is massive.

The save that impressed me most was the Silva chance. Well in fact it wasn't even a chance in the end because before Silva could even get the ball under control properly, Joel was off his line and at his feet. Most keepers would have still been on the goal line making it a really good chance.

He is clearly still raw. There was a time that he came for the ball miles away from goal before someone else cleared it, and on another day that could have caused problems, as could the penalty challenge but young keepers need games and lots of them. I see plenty in him to say that he could be a really good keeper in a few years time but he will need to mature and be a lot more composed.

I think he can still improve. Not a worldbeater but worth keeping around at the moment.

I don't normally like to take unnecessary and likely inaccurate swipes at ex-managers, but I'm going to do it here: He probably spent the past 3-4 years under Martinez learning more about passing and the rhythm of the game than he received about actual defensive goalkeeping skills.

He's good. Simple as that. He looks big in goal, he commands the box better than Howard ever did, he's quick, he thinks well, and occasionally, like all other keepers save the Cechs of the world, he finds himself out of position. He's still 26 and I'd feel pretty good about spending the next few years with him as our number one.

He's good. Simple as that. He looks big in goal, he commands the box better than Howard ever did, he's quick, he thinks well, and occasionally, like all other keepers save the Cechs of the world, he finds himself out of position. He's still 26 and I'd feel pretty good about spending the next few years with him as our number one.

I'm starting to come around to that idea too. If he keeps up his performance then I don't see how he could be replaced.

Still don't think he is a number one though.

I will judge him when he has a game where he faces a lot of shots and makes saves.

Better than I give him credit for recently, but still hasn't had to face many shots on target really.

but when he has, he's saved most of them so I really don't get the point

Pretty simple Matt, when not facing shots your unlikely to concede goals. If he faces shots where he needs to make better than average saves....and he makes them, then I might change my opinion of him.

You think he has been making great saves while I think he has faced shots that a premier keeper should save. I don't want an average premier keeper, I want a top end keeper to take us another step.

Take the city match.

He has received a lot of credit for his performance and rightly so, even from me. But did city have any efforts that you wouldn't have expected 70% of premiership keepers to save?

That's the way I look at him. A decent enough stop gap, but a stop gap all the same!

From what I have seen he deserves the chance to finish the season as no 1 and try to hold onto it for next season.

I think his positioning is very good, as is his shot stopping, communication. I do have concerns about his ability to deal with crosses.

I hope he can improve this over the course of the season as I think there is a top quality keeper in there, and its nice to have him develop with us and make the position his own.

Pretty simple Matt, when not facing shots your unlikely to concede goals. If he faces shots where he needs to make better than average saves....and he makes them, then I might change my opinion of him.

You think he has been making great saves while I think he has faced shots that a premier keeper should save. I don't want an average premier keeper, I want a top end keeper to take us another step.

Take the city match.

He has received a lot of credit for his performance and rightly so, even from me. But did city have any efforts that you wouldn't have expected 70% of premiership keepers to save?

That's the way I look at him. A decent enough stop gap, but a stop gap all the same!

Tending to agree with this!

Take the city match.

if the number of shots he has to stop goes up, I'll be looking at the players in front of him before I criticise his performance.

And honestly, you can have all the shots in the world but if they're shite and easy for the keeper but he concedes a wonderstrike which is the only shot of the game, how is quantity relevant?

I know what you're getting at but it's a flawed logic. I want a top end keeper too, but I honestly think Joel will grow to be one and have had this opinion of him when we signed him. He just hasn't ever been given an extended chance but when he has, he's grown game by game.

I'm not critising him mate, I have been praising him for it recently.

It's not a flawed logic either. A shit keeper with a world class defence is still a shit keeper. Even if he doesn't concede.

Same as a world class keeper with a shite defence is still a world class keeper.

But it's all subjective, you may be right and with a run of games he may end being a really solid keeper. And to be fair his recent outings have not done him any harm.

I would just rather hold my judgement on him until I have saw more that's all.

Not sure of the exact figures, but city had a lot more shots on goal than we did, we scored 4 but they didn't score any.

Trying to dismiss the thinking that because they are not getting peppered with shots they shouldn't concede goals, it doesn't always work out that way.

Think Joel had a good game.

Not sure of the exact figures, but city had a lot more shots on goal than we did, we scored 4 but they didn't score any.

Trying to dismiss the thinking that because they are not getting peppered with shots they shouldn't concede goals, it doesn't always work out that way.

Think Joel had a good game.

So you think against any average prem keeper they would have scored?

I honestly thought our defence was good and that we didn't give them a clear shot on goal other than the ones Sterling hit high and wide....which to be fair ... didn't need saving.

Watch the highlights again, you'll see the best chance was the free kick which was a basic standard save.

I think he had a good game too, but my point stands....if you don't come necessarily shots you shouldn't concede goals, and any goalkeeper regardless of his level would get the same result.

Quality of shots rather than quantity will determine the quality of the keeper. I agree, he wasn't really tested by quality shooting in the City game with only 5 of the 13 on target. incidentally, we only had 4 on target (2 more off target)....

Regarding quality shots though, we've seen him stop them time and time again, vs West Ham springs to mind immediately.

Finally, there's a reason why keepers peak much later and it's down to the amount of game time and experience (at least, in my opinion). This is a concern for me regarding Joel, because he's still never done a full season so he's missed a lot of experience.