IGNORED

Joel Robles

You know if he has an error leading to a goal that he might be out though -- Koeman favored Stek for a reason. I much prefer Joel at this point, but he's still on thin ice due to how he's perceived by most fans (as in a lot of people still think we need a new number one).

Each week I become more convinced that he's the GK of our future.

He used to really make me nervous, but the way he's started commanding his area, looking unafraid, catching every cross he can get to and charging down long balls/through balls coming into his box has made me start trusting him a lot more. I think the skill set has always been there, but the mentality hasn't. But, he's calm, confident and perfectly competent out there now. So, we don't need to be in a rush to sign a new number one just yet. I think we should ride our luck with him for the rest of the season and see where he gets us.

• 2 weeks later...

The stats are impressive but it's a small sample size. He hasn't started all season. Just when we have played well.

Yes but if you take into account his patches with us over the last years they stats are quite consistent. He's got a good frame for the premier league, good feet, athleticism and a good age.

The big thing is, he might make a mistake soon, but he absolutely deserves everyone to get behind when/if that moment occurs.

Edit:

Premier league

31 games for us - 35 conceded - 12 clean sheets

On those stats over a season we could look roughly at

38 games - 43 conceded - 15 clean sheets

And I believe that would only get better due to our defense being absolutely shit the last 2 years.

Edited by Btay

This is where the think I have underrated him.

On way it shows the point I was trying to make in that he hasn't really faced games where the pressure has been on the defence. The stats show we have lowest shots faced.

But against Bournemouth he faced that pressure and also faced a number of shots.... he saved the big ones and kept us in the game.

But I am also starting to recognise that he may be the reason why our defence is being so tight. His organisation and calmness.

He has been impressive recently.

Certainly not shy to claim a cross or throw himself in the mix. Pretty good shot stopper. Gets his angles a bit wrong at times, and his timing. But here's hoping he works it out.

He does, but if you'd barely had a sniff of continued action you'd be rusty too.

He reminds me of De Gea in so many ways. He has all the attributes but there is nothing link experience to help someone grow. Just as Ferguson permitted De Gea to learn from his mistakes, I'm hoping Koeman does the same with Joel. He deserves his chance to prove people wrong.

Another clean sheet and saved us a point. Wondering how much he has to do for people to release he's good enough to be our number 1

More for me. Still think we need more quality at first choice.

But I do admit he has had a few games that have made me think. Today is nothing to talk about though as they had a keeper that saved a few one on ones too.

Happy to be proved wrong though and if he keeps it up he will have that game when he faces pressure.... if he responds well then I'll gladly take myself to the vault and lock me up!

Another clean sheet and saved us a point. Wondering how much he has to do for people to release he's good enough to be our number 1

Cary on with this form until the end of the season and that'll be one less position to fill in the summer.

I think Williams will have at least one new centre back partner this summer so as much continuity as possible will be important.