IGNORED

Joel Robles

He deserves his place no doubt. And even I have warmed to him recently. I feel more confident with him in goal than steks.

I'm not blaming him for any of the goals conceded. I just haven't saw him have one of those matches yet. Most of the votes for MoM have been due to the rest of the team being so bad rather than him so good. Saturday is typical of this. They had three shots on target,

One header straight at him.

One blocked.

And an excellent stop to earn us a point.

His kicking was woeful, but I blame the team for sitting so deep for that.

He also had a few nerdy punches out to the edge of our area.

Yet he gets MoM!

Was there anyone that deserves it more? No, we were awful second half.

He is proving that he is a solid keeper, I'm just not sure he is a top six keeper.

He's at least a top 7 keeper though! :67:

In fairness to Joel if you go through the PL teams who are definitely better keepers?

Courtois

Lloris

Vorm?

De Gea

Cech

Hart

That's about it. People seem to rave about Forster but he makes plenty of mistakes and he is glued to his line. Butland and Begovic maybe but both haven't been seen for a while. Adrian was last year, but terrible this. Pickford maybe in time.

The rest are much the same. Good moments and the odd howler.

Think we'd struggle to get better than Joel for less than big bucks. It's always going to be a risk with new keepers - look at Karius at the shite, or even Stek, started well but fell apart. We don't want a confidence keeper, we want a consistent keeper. Consistent keepers will make mistakes from time to time but will also have the respect of their teammates and understand what's at stake. I actually believe that Joel is about as close as we will get to that for the time being with where we are at.

Edited by MatthewT

• 2 weeks later...

Matt, I. Could get a clean sheet if there wasn't a shot on target.... surely even his biggest fans can see that.

Put Messi in goals... no shots on target = clean sheet!

agreed, matt a little naïve to act like today was solid for joel. he didn't have to do anything. howard, stek, stanek, Griffiths, they'd all have a clean sheet too. he needs to have the matches where he sets himself apart from that lot.

Matt, I. Could get a clean sheet if there wasn't a shot on target.... surely even his biggest fans can see that.

Put Messi in goals... no shots on target = clean sheet!

If Messi was in goal then shots on target would be flying in from all angles; the opposition wouldn't feel the need to try to engineer openings, they'd just have a shot whenever they had a sight of goal if they knew the 'keeper wasn't capable of the job.

Maybe Joel is making the defenders confident to play their game without worrying about him.

It's s team game and the clean sheet is as much his as theirs.

bingo. Stopping shots isn't the sole role of a keeper, he has to inspire confidence and organise his defence

It's naive to not recognise that, Mark ;)

So basically, we need the defence to have a shocker, Joel to be bombarded with shots? He's bound to concede one if that's the case, and then rather than Joel get credit for the five or six he does save to help the defence out he'll get slaughtered for the one he does concede while no one looks at the defence.

Personally, I'd rather just give both the defence and goalkeeper credit for our run of solidity!

I agree...a GK that instills confidence into his defenders allows the defenders to fully concentrate on their own jobs without feeling nervous of what's behind them. That's the aim of a proper team in all positions I suppose.

My earlier worry about him was that I wondered if he loses focus after having a few games on the run. That seemed to be what happened in his earlier runs, he would could in, impress, then get sloppy. He's doing a good enough job now though.

He just needs to keep performing thats all.

But if you think I am going to change from not rating him, to singing him up like he is some messiah because he kept a clean sheet in a game where he didn't face a shot.....

Matts point was, how many more does he need to convince people. My answer was simple..... more.

We're talking him up like he is he answer to all our goalkeeping dreams. I just don't agree.

But again ... yet again.... he is performing to a good standard and proving me wrong. But funnily enough... I am glad. But just like other players in our team.

And I agree with most of he above posts. It's a team game and the whole defence and midfield deserve just as much credit as the goals.

I don't think it's down to any particular individual being spectacular, but rather they are all performing to a good standard...not great, but good.

So basically, we need the defence to have a shocker, Joel to be bombarded with shots? He's bound to concede one if that's the case, and then rather than Joel get credit for the five or six he does save to help the defence out he'll get slaughtered for the one he does concede while no one looks at the defence.

Personally, I'd rather just give both the defence and goalkeeper credit for our run of solidity!

Agree mate... what idiot suggested that?

Agree mate... what idiot suggested that?

Well, apparently he's only a good goalkeeper if he's making loads of saves. The other things a good goalkeeper needs to do like command his area, and save shots when he's not had much to do in a game (like the one against Stoke that saved our bacon), don't really make a difference. He needs to be facing loads of shots. He doesn't, he just needs to do what's asked of him. If he's only asked to come for crosses during a game and he does that then that's what he needs to do. There were times when he'd fuck up things like that. He's growing with game time and experience all the time.

At the same time I'm not bothered if Koeman judges him not good enough, and goes after someone else in the summer.

Well, apparently he's only a good goalkeeper if he's making loads of saves. The other things a good goalkeeper needs to do like command his area, and save shots when he's not had much to do in a game (like the one against Stoke that saved our bacon), don't really make a difference. He needs to be facing loads of shots. He doesn't, he just needs to do what's asked of him. If he's only asked to come for crosses during a game and he does that then that's what he needs to do. There were times when he'd fuck up things like that. He's growing with game time and experience all the time.

At the same time I'm not bothered if Koeman judges him not good enough, and goes after someone else in the summer.

Well whoever suggested that is wrong, if I was you I would call them out for that one. That's ridiculous.

I don't think he's being talked up like a messiah.

He's just being given the credit that he's due.

He started the reason as rank outsider, he's worked his way to No1. Good for him.

Agree. He has even changed my mind and again that a goalkeeper isn't such the priority now.

I still don't think he is good enough to take us to the next level, but he is a solid No1 for us and deserves his place.

Credit to him for sticking at it and proving some of us wrong, me included.

Agree. He has even changed my mind and again that a goalkeeper isn't such the priority now.

I still don't think he is good enough to take us to the next level, but he is a solid No1 for us and deserves his place.

Credit to him for sticking at it and proving some of us wrong, me included.

I don't disagree with you, but I'm curious of people's opinions. What are his deficiencies or what could he improve on? Joel is playing really well, loves the club and seems well liked. What is he lacking? While I know there are positions all along the pitch that will be strengthened, there's also a high level of positivity around the team/club that seems too good to disrupt.

For example, I see the depth we have at CM to be up with the best in the league. It's perfect how it is; it just depends on if rotation and minutes, as opposed to full matches is enough to satisfy those who are often on the fringe.

our next run of games will be his test, he's done well against "the weaker" teams, 5 out of 7 clean sheets, including one against city. Remember the days when he wouldn't save with his hands? He's come a long way since then. I used to distrust him, didn't want him starting, he's convinced me otherwise

Guest rusty747

If Joel helps us keep a clean sheet v Spurs then he will have me convinced.

Anyone remember Southall's save from the point blank range bullet header when we won 1-2 at The Lane in April 1985? That's what wins you titles - or, in our case, gets us into Europe.

Edited by rusty747