IGNORED

Joel Robles

http://www.foxsports.com/soccer/stats?competition=1&category=goalkeeping&sort=10

These stats show Robles as 5th out of 32 keepers used in the PL this season. His stats are impressive (see number of Saves relative to amount of games played) and we only notice his clangers more because we watch him for 90 mins every week, i'm sure fans of other teams would have lots to say about their own keepers mistakes too!

He can definitely improve without a doubt, but he's good enough at the moment.

And how many have been raving about Jordan Pickford? #20 in the list.

but he can get there, and to do so he needs a real chance. This season he's had a real chance and for the most part he's been very good to excellent. He's had some shocking moments too, but that happens (incidentally, in the games he has been poor, the entire team has been poor)

matt between all the starts at wigan and everton he's been given a chance. Adrian for West ham was 4th best keeper a few years ago as well, look at him now, average. it's called consistency and why the De Gea, LLoris, Courtois of the world are better and everyone knows it.

matt between all the starts at wigan and everton he's been given a chance. Adrian for West ham was 4th best keeper a few years ago as well, look at him now, average. it's called consistency and why the De Gea, LLoris, Courtois of the world are better and everyone knows it.

But as things stand, we aren't in a position to get any of those keepers.

Edited by MatthewT

Robles has been good and had the odd couple of excellent matches.

Don't want to harp on again, but any keeper can keep a clean sheet when there are no shots on target.

He is a very good second keeper, but if we want to move on we need to get past the Robles, Heitingas, Ossies and all the other squad fillers. These players were good when our first target was 49 points..... but not to challenge for the top four.

but we are in a position to get a keeper from another league or lower side. Leno, Ruffier, Butland, Perin, etc. All have the makings of a Lloris or Courtois, young and talented.

I agree, but we could have afforded a new keeper in the summer or January so maybe Koeman already has plans for this coming summer.

edit:

Plus we may have more chance of getting a better keeper once we've qualified for Europe.

Edited by MatthewT

he is yet to have a complete season, that's hardly being given a chance. When he got his chance at Wigan, he did well over his 9 games (in an pretty much relegated team). At Everton for the most part he's started, hes done well with some cockups.

Not sure if people remember how much shit De Gea got when he first started at United, it took him the best part of a season to settle and from that chance he's developed into one of the best around. It takes time and if you think starting 39 games over 4 seasons is sufficient, then I there's no point in discussing further.

Goalkeeper is probably the most experience dependent position which is why most only start to peak at 27 or so and go onto their mid 30s.

He's been injured half the season and he's playing for a team that's bottom and about to get relegated so he's not going to be high up is he!

Stats are stats. Save percentage and saves per goal, for example, are independent of league position (more shots on goal, but that would mean more saves, too). Vorm is near the bottom, and he plays for the #2 team. Some were calling for him just a few months ago. Arsenal's, City's, and Liverpool's goalies are way below Joel. Hart's stats are not as good as Joel's this season. Frankly, we excel in this aspect of the game right now.

Don't get me wrong: Joel needs to improve. That, however, will only come with experience and consistent game time. Right now, he's on a better trajectory than was De Gea when he joined a PL team.

Edited by Cornish Steve

Joel has played enough first team football in the premier league now to know how good he is or could be.

People are comparing De Gea 's first 12-18 months in the country to Joel now and it's completely different.

I get that Joel hasn't played loads of games but he has enough 1st team experience and he has now had enough of a run in the team to consider how consistent he will be.

He has some elements that are really impressive such as his reach and general shot stopping but he still makes novicey mistakes too regularly. Nothing massive, I don't take the same view as Pad for example with his mistakes, but there are little things that make me nervous about him.

He is a solid mid table premier league level keeper and he will be a great buy for a relegation level team because he will make plenty of saves but I don't think he is any better than that.

1st major cock up and people are calling for his head. I'd be surprised if any keeper in the league hasn't done similar in their career. He's young, and only going to get better with experience. He's won the team more points than he's lost.

First major cock up?? Spurs, the derby, All rightons goal last week and a fucking ridiculous challenge today. I thought Howards was back in goal.

I'm not calling for his head, just pointing out if we want top 4 we need a better keeper.

First major cock up?? Spurs, the derby, All rightons goal last week and a fucking ridiculous challenge today. I thought Howards was back in goal.

I'm not calling for his head, just pointing out if we want top 4 we need a better keeper.

Liverpool and Spurs were the fault of out field players. Robles just has a weird body shape makes him look out of place. Fellaini used to be a Booh boys target for the same reason.

Barkley scored one like Albrighton's against Spurs and no one blamed their keeper.

Liverpool and Spurs were the fault of out field players. Robles just has a weird body shape makes him look out of place. Fellaini used to be a Booh boys target for the same reason.

Barkley scored one like Albrighton's against Spurs and no one blamed their keeper.

How do you know Spurs fans never? We wouldn't as we're not arsed. Sorry Pete but 2 of the goals against Liverpool he shouldn't let go in, he had a shocker at Tottenham and he was out of position for Albrightons goal. Today was another of his latest calamitys. He's a decent keeper but never ever will he be a top 4 sides keeper he's not good enough.

He's not been great this season either.

I think Schmeichel, Butland and Pickford, in that order, will be the best options.

I think I'd prefer Schmeichel. Progressed so well these past couple of seasons and is a real leader.

Don't fancy Butland. And pickford is too young for him to be a first choice starting goalkeeper for us, he's got bags of natural ability but makes a lot of mistakes.

Plus Schmeichel's distribution is the best in the league, and he's very quick off his line. Would suit games were pushing higher up and trying to dominate as much as the counter attack.

Edited by AidanLewis

Matt that's many season compiled together. Joes is 7/8 of a season not yet completed, could be more there. Highlight reels every season for club and country of gaffs

point is the same; even the best mess up even when they're established, seasoned pros.