IGNORED

Joel Robles

Of course they do, everyone makes mistakes in all walks of life. The best make fewer mistakes and that's what we need.

the best are given time to become the best.

I can think of many, many more examples of him saving us in games than costing us

I wouldn't get hung up on stats. There isn't a stat that shows which saves he should have made and which saves he made but had no right to.

This!

He could have 6 saves a game but they are all tame shots that I would save or only face one shot a game but make a worldy with it. I prefer to judge by my eyes and Robles is nowhere near De Gea yet he's the same age.

This!

He could have 6 saves a game but they are all tame shots that I would save or only face one shot a game but make a worldy with it. I prefer to judge by my eyes and Robles is nowhere near De Gea yet he's the same age.

and he never will be if he's not given a chance to develop

Maybe a compromise. I see huge potential in him, have done since he was at Wigan. I'd tie him down to a new contract and loan him out for a season provided he was going to get first team football.

My issue is that the names bandied around to replace him (Pickford, Forster, Butland) I don't know enough about because I don't watch them week in and out, and I'd be very surprised if there's someone here who does. Which makes me sceptical about spending mega money on other developing keepers

He's not agile enough. Looks as though he's carrying an extra stone on his thighs and arse.

See I think he moves extremely well for his size. Countless times he's come off his line and smothered a 1v1 and he gets up and down to shots well.

I still think he's constantly looking over his shoulder waiting to be dropped again despite performances ( Howard related ). I'd stick it out with him until the end of the season - I don't think he 100% believes in himself just yet because of how he had been dropped previous seasons and started as number 2.

If there is anything we can all agree on - it's that his attitude and application throughout his years here have been nothing short of excellent and based on that and performances this year I think he should be number 1 for atleast the rest of the season and only replaced if we get a "loris" esq transfer.

Edited by Btay

Yep. They've both had chances.

A new GK will be a target. It was always going to be.

And note that Koeman referred to 'the last few weeks' regarding Robles, so it wasn't just a quick snap decision. He'd obviously grown concerned about his levels dropping.

• 5 weeks later...

I still like him and he is still improving. yes he has made a few mistakes but even the best keepers do. With experiences the lapses in concentration will become less. I think there are other areas which need to be prioritised. Definitely worth a contract extension, whether he is offered one or he believes the manager rates him enough for him to want him to stay.

• 1 month later...