IGNORED

David Moyes thread

Over a short period but over a longer service  would Joe Royle have been in the top seven for eight years out of ten.

"After his success at Preston, he succeeded Walter Smith as manager at Everton in March 2002. He took over the Merseyside club when they were above the relegation zone on goal difference and led them to safety with a 15th place position.

An impressive transformation of the club’s fortunes followed and they finished seventh in Moyes’ first full season in charge.

In the 2004/05 campaign, Everton finished ahead of Merseyside rivals Liverpool in fourth position, their highest ever Premier League finish to date, and secured UEFA Champions League qualification as a result.

Moyes established the Toffees in the top seven of the Premier League from 2006/07 onwards and led the side to UEFA Europa League qualification on three occasions."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/everton/5392431/Evertons-David-Moyes-is-manager-of-the-year.html

1st manager to win it 3 times, I'd be quite happy if we could get a manager to match him.

2 hours ago, Bill said:

Over a short period but over a longer service  would Joe Royle have been in the top seven for eight years out of ten.

"After his success at Preston, he succeeded Walter Smith as manager at Everton in March 2002. He took over the Merseyside club when they were above the relegation zone on goal difference and led them to safety with a 15th place position.

An impressive transformation of the club’s fortunes followed and they finished seventh in Moyes’ first full season in charge.

In the 2004/05 campaign, Everton finished ahead of Merseyside rivals Liverpool in fourth position, their highest ever Premier League finish to date, and secured UEFA Champions League qualification as a result.

Moyes established the Toffees in the top seven of the Premier League from 2006/07 onwards and led the side to UEFA Europa League qualification on three occasions."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/everton/5392431/Evertons-David-Moyes-is-manager-of-the-year.html

1st manager to win it 3 times, I'd be quite happy if we could get a manager to match him.

He "won" nothing Bill.... he couldn't get a win away from home against the top 4 in over 40 attempts. Never mind a trophy.  He bottled the cup final.... Chelsea were knackered, there for the taking. 

Top 7?  That's not a feat worth celebrating... Martinez and koeman both managed that.  The latter being one of the worst managers I've seen in charge of the club.  

Top 4 once, top 5 twice, top 6 twice and top 7 twice in 10 seasons,  3 times Manager of the year in those ten, a Wembley Final, and Euro footy 4 times. I won't say any more Haf your like a dog with a bone, you will continually reply until everybody gets fed up.

Just look at the figures Mate, our best Manager since Kendall in the Eighties.   No doubt.

38 minutes ago, Bill said:

Top 4 once, top 5 twice, top 6 twice and top 7 twice in 10 seasons,  3 times Manager of the year in those ten, a Wembley Final, and Euro footy 4 times. I won't say any more Haf your like a dog with a bone, you will continually reply until everybody gets fed up.

Just look at the figures Mate, our best Manager since Kendall in the Eighties.   No doubt.

Do you honestly think those stats above are worthy of the 4th most successful side in England?  They indicate varying degrees of "runners up"....   we never became the 4th most successful side in virtue of where we finished with the other also rans..... we got it by winning things.  11 years- no trophy.  There ain't trophies for 4th place I'm afraid.

Joe Royle accepted the Everton job without even looking at what he was going to get paid.  He resigned on principle of not getting a player signed.... not leveraging it to get a pay rise like moyes.  He had a nice settled job last year and resigned on principle due to fat Sam being hired. 

Royle is the last manager to deliver us a trophy.  He is the last relevant manager. 

15 hours ago, Bill said:

So because you don't like the man you are dismissing his achievements, I knew you would come back with some weird and wonderful useless information.

This is my last word on it but I'm sure it won't be yours Haf.

Amen

What did he acheive? Finishing a mean average place of 8th in his 11 years? There isn'tt anything that recognises that as success. 

Regardless of whether I like him or not he is the longest ever serving Everton manager to never have won anything.  Compare him on a list to other Everton managers and he represents failure really....  there is nothing that argues the case for him. 

16 hours ago, Bill said:

So because you don't like the man you are dismissing his achievements, I knew you would come back with some weird and wonderful useless information.

This is my last word on it but I'm sure it won't be yours Haf.

Amen

On win percentages both Colin Harvey and Martinez were better.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...