IGNORED

David Moyes thread

Must disagree with you there Mark, when he went to united he was telling Rio Ferdinand, one of the best English centre backs in the premier league era, to play and learn to play like Jags, who is by all means a decent defender but he isn't anywhere near the level Rio was. His problems started when he left us, thought he was billy big bollocks and look how that's turned out.

yep i could see that, my point is that he didn't do that bad when he was at United. LVG and Mou with similar results and both have spent way more. I agree tactically and how he went about it was all wrong, but results speak for themselves in the table.

Must disagree with you there Mark, when he went to united he was telling Rio Ferdinand, one of the best English centre backs in the premier league era, to play and learn to play like Jags, who is by all means a decent defender but he isn't anywhere near the level Rio was. His problems started when he left us, thought he was billy big bollocks and look how that's turned out.

Agree with this. The Sunderland thing was never going to work for him because he was so obviously still bitter about what happened with Utd, and the morning he went into training trying to tell Rio and co to defend like Jags, well he must have been on the whiskey because that was just career suicide imo.

I dunno what year it was that I said I wanted him gone but it was met with objections.

He became the manager we see now when he was at Everton.... long had gone the bright, hungry, meticulous manager. He found a 4-5-1 formation.... overrelied on what worked till the point teams knew how to play us.

After that point he just tried the same formula with different players... won some against shit teams...drew away from home in many and shit out vs the better teams.

What he was really good at round this time was front loading his excuses.... fuck me did he get them in... once he left he continued mastering the art of this.

Don't miss him one bit... thanks for the first few years dave. Outstayed your welcome by 5 years too many.

He was good for us he stabilised the club and we had a lot more good seasons than bad.

And every season he had to work with one of the smallest budgets in the premiership, also was very astute in the transfer market made sure anyone who went after our players paid top dollar.

I dunno what year it was that I said I wanted him gone but it was met with objections.

He became the manager we see now when he was at Everton.... long had gone the bright, hungry, meticulous manager. He found a 4-5-1 formation.... overrelied on what worked till the point teams knew how to play us.

After that point he just tried the same formula with different players... won some against shit teams...drew away from home in many and shit out vs the better teams.

What he was really good at round this time was front loading his excuses.... fuck me did he get them in... once he left he continued mastering the art of this.

Don't miss him one bit... thanks for the first few years dave. Outstayed your welcome by 5 years too many.

Man united away, 4-4. http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/17718154

Bell end was shouting at McFadden to just defend when he had a clear run on and united were wobbling. It was like he was scared to win and upset his mate SAF. It's easy to see why we never won away to the sky teams.

• 5 months later...

their fans are in an uproar.  i visited a WH forum yesterday to see their reaction and the mass lot of them have said it's the last straw for these owners.  they all think they are dead cert to go down with moyes.  they have even said he's more archaic than fat sam.

funny thing the top managers they had on their list to take over (fans that is) were Pardew or Fat Sam.

1 hour ago, hafnia said:

Their fans are the most entitled bunch I've come across for such a friggin small time club.

Moyes has basically had to go cap in hand for this... he's excusing them for all the shit they've thrown at him. 

How the mighty has fallen eh. 

his contract is basically you get paid if we stay up.  your last line is spot on.

not  sure why this thread is still open.  or cn we talk about out of work and other club's managers in threads too?

Moyes is manager of  West Ham not Everton  and he is ex manager of a few other clubs now too.   He will not be back here except in away room.  So this thread is pointless now/unless there are wet spam fans around.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Matt said:

No idea why he’s tanked so much in his career, but even less of an idea why people are enjoying it. He did a good, not great, job here and I’m not understanding the hate at all

manily because of this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/23753129

Then twisted the knife in with this bellend shout : https://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/aug/23/david-moyes-marouane-fellaini-leighton-baines

1 hour ago, Matt said:

No idea why he’s tanked so much in his career, but even less of an idea why people are enjoying it. He did a good, not great, job here and I’m not understanding the hate at all

Its quite simple for me....

1.  He had a great opportunity to use his reluctance to sign a contract to get the board to stop with the ridiculous constraints on his transfer budget in order to strengthen the team.... he said he would only sign the contract if he had assurances about getting funds.  They made him one of the highest paid managers in world football and he more or less immediately told the press that we don't have much money and that we will be looking at loans etc.

2. Penknives to gunfights comments - top half is a great achievement for a club like Everton.... constant dampening of expectations which led to us being viewed somewhat patronisingly.

3. His crass pursuit of Leighton baines and fellaini when he went to united.... his comments were a disgrace and wiped away anything good he fostered with the fans in his 11 years here.

4. He just wasn't that good really....

2 hours ago, Matt said:

Because Everton fans are always fickle and often irrational. An emotional bunch, not always a logical bunch.

1. Underselling the club and expectations - Common workplace sense, "underpromise, overdeliver". Yes, it can be quite annoying when done to the extreme, but most managers do it. The ones who don't are like Roberto Martinez - promise us Champions League and take us to eleventh. His overambition and overdreaminess certainly got old quickly.

In the context of the fact that the club had battled relegation since the beginning of the PL era and that we were cash strapped, it was a great achievement to get us the consistency that Moyes did. Not necessarily in the overall context of the club, but you have to be with the times. 

2. If we had sold Fellaini and Baines for 30m total, it would've been a masterstroke for Moyes and shown Kenwright's true inability in all things business.

3. Nobody argues that Moyes is great, but most argue that he was a consistent and  more than competent performer here.

I would really hate to be the ex-girlfriend of some of the members here.... 

There's a saying, "If you meet an asshole one day, you meet an asshole. If you meet an asshole everyday, you're the asshole."

2 minutes ago, rubecula said:

think he was well off it when he joined utd.

i actually think he did ok at united.  Just something about getting let go of his dream job after taking over from his mentor/friend SAF just did him in.  Real Sociedad was a disaster, Sunderland an epic failure, and now West Ham i just don't see him turning it around.