IGNORED

West Brom (Home)

Matt

without Anelka playing for the Baggies our chances of winning this one has exponentially increased -

they are for all intent and purposes without a firing striker - Long and Rosenberg and some new loan striker -

let us also hope they try and play 3 at the back without Popov - then we should score 3 or 4

Why is it everybody on here reckons it will be an easy game for Everton!!.... Only West Brom....Without Anelka we will score 3-4 and not concede!!

I think we will be in for a surprise. Yes, WBA didn't have the best record at the second half of the season but I do believe that Clarke is a good manager and needs time. If he gets his tactics right and stops us from passing the ball then who knows. WBA have a tendency to hoof the ball long and over the top and if we defend like we did against Norwich (playing a high line and leaving ourselves open) then Sinclair will be in on goal. This is why we lost last year against the "smaller" teams, we underestimated them. Against the big teams we would perform with the best but last year we lost against teams we should have been beating. (no disrespect to the other teams btw) WBA are a similar club to Everton, we have got better players, yes, but I do think we will be in for a surprise, never underestimate your opponents...

Why is it everybody on here reckons it will be an easy game for Everton!!.... Only West Brom....Without Anelka we will score 3-4 and not concede!!

I think we will be in for a surprise. Yes, WBA didn't have the best record at the second half of the season but I do believe that Clarke is a good manager and needs time. If he gets his tactics right and stops us from passing the ball then who knows. WBA have a tendency to hoof the ball long and over the top and if we defend like we did against Norwich (playing a high line and leaving ourselves open) then Sinclair will be in on goal. This is why we lost last year against the "smaller" teams, we underestimated them. Against the big teams we would perform with the best but last year we lost against teams we should have been beating. (no disrespect to the other teams btw) WBA are a similar club to Everton, we have got better players, yes, but I do think we will be in for a surprise, never underestimate your opponents...

I don't think Martinez nor the players will underestimate WBA but agree with your concerns about our defence and this will be a regular topic of discussion until it's stabilised or sorted properly. I don't think it's Sinclair we have to worry about with the tactics we think they're likely to bring and neither would it have been Anelka. Shane Long is our danger in that respect especially if he's fully fit as he'll run our stretched defence round all day - just hope he hasn't got too much end product tomorrow.

As for WBA being a similar club to Everton - sorry, not a chance. They are a long-standing club but that's where the similarity starts and ends.

Edited by Cake

I predicted a big win for several reasons before it was announced Anelka would be missing.

edit: I too like Clarke, but the football they played 2nd half of the season, and the opening game highlights, plus not having Lukaku to pull them out of the shit, all adds up to a thrashing on Robertos first competitive home game, in my opinion.

Edited by Matt

I thought Distin was out?

doubtful I think, might not play the whole game.

Everton (to face West Brom): Howard, Baines, Jagielka ©, Distin, Coleman, Osman, Fellaini, Pienaar, Barkley, Mirallas, Jelavic.

subs: Joel, Heitinga, Kone, Deulofeu, Naismith, Stones, Anichebe.

doubtful I think, might not play the whole game.

Everton (to face West Brom): Howard, Baines, Jagielka ©, Distin, Coleman, Osman, Fellaini, Pienaar, Barkley, Mirallas, Jelavic.

subs: Joel, Heitinga, Kone, Deulofeu, Naismith, Stones, Anichebe.

Not really a fan of playing someone who is carrying an injury (if he still is).

Strong team and strong bench, should be a good game.

Mulumbu is a very good player and definitely someone that will cause us problems if we let him have his way.

I think Long will be the problem. The way he presses and closes down it will make it difficult to play out from the back so Jags and Distin need to be sharp and dont force it if the pass isnt on.

Mulumbu is a very good player and definitely someone that will cause us problems if we let him have his way.

I think Long will be the problem. The way he presses and closes down it will make it difficult to play out from the back so Jags and Distin need to be sharp and dont force it if the pass isnt on.

He'll be busy trying to kick Barkley. Can see WBA booting the ball long, as long as Distin/Jags don't get caught out by the flight of the ball we should be safe. I think today will be our first clean sheet of the season.

Love the fact that Barkley is starting - DM would have dropped him after that top performance last week!

Interested to see Osman's performance today, will he step it up from last week in front of the home fans.

This is what I've been thinking, this could be Ossies last season being consistantly in the starting line-up.

He'll be busy trying to kick Barkley. Can see WBA booting the ball long, as long as Distin/Jags don't get caught out by the flight of the ball we should be safe. I think today will be our first clean sheet of the season.

I think that will be Yacub's job.

Im sure they will probably go long and quite early but both Jags and Distin have the speed and physicality to deal with him if they are on the ball.

I think that will be Yacub's job.

Im sure they will probably go long and quite early but both Jags and Distin have the speed and physicality to deal with him if they are on the ball.

Both have had howlers in the past especially Distin struggling with the bounce, possibly their main weakness (when paired together). Bollocks, I was optimistic a moment ago aha.