IGNORED

January

Romey 1878

Don't get it. I was all for moving his wages but it was under the assumption that we'd utilize that spot to bring in someone else. This team is currently hit by a ton of injuries. I'd rather of Heitinga for depth than nothing. I trust Martinez, but I can't kick away the thought that this was strong-armed by Kenwright.

That conjures up one of the most the most unlikely images in the world...."Kenwright" and "strong-armed" in the same sentence :lol:.

I'll say it again; Martinez said all we were looking to do was get cover for Kone and Gibson - we did neither and sold a striker, replaced him with a loan striker who is injured, bought a winger and a 17 year old goalkeeper for our youth side, and then got rid of a defender.

Odd to say the least. Right now is my first test of faith in Martinez.

Fucking joke. I'm sorry but Robert had said we needed players to cover kone and gibbo. We sell jelly and jonny aswell and get mccgeady and an injured forward. How does that leave us stronger? I've not even mentioned our injuries and were bound to pick up more. So pissed off its untrue. Just when you think we're moving forward as a club the board pulls this shit. Pretty much think it's 7th for us now

I'll say it again; Martinez said all we were looking to do was get cover for Kone and Gibson - we did neither and sold a striker, replaced him with a loan striker who is injured, bought a winger and a 17 year old goalkeeper for our youth side, and then got rid of a defender.

Dont usually agree with ur sometimes overally negative remarks (opinions?!!!)....but kind of with you on this one.

Not feeling too happy at the moment....not sure whats going on but we seem to have made a small squad....smaller!!!

The thing is, as you (I think) have mentioned in another thread this kind of situation has happened way too often in recent years. There is one common denominator in all these transfer debacles, and that's the board. Maybe I'm just pissed off right now, but I feel like I've been fooled again.

We'll just have to wait and see if the money we supposedly have in the bank is still there come the summer. If we have to sell to buy again I'm going to be one fucked off Evertonian. But I'm sure the club will have an excuse ready, they've got a while to come up with it between now and then.

Dont usually agree with ur sometimes overally negative remarks (opinions?!!!)....but kind of with you on this one.

Not feeling too happy at the moment....not sure whats going on but we seem to have made a small squad....smaller!!!

Sorry, not smaller....2 out, 2 in...not counting the GK.

Just lookin at the likes of Zaha, Ince, Holtby, Berbatov etc moving. Damn.

Got to agree, no doubt Roberto thinks it was a phenomenal window, but if we assume that because Alcaraz has played 90 minutes he is now either injured or will be by half time on Saturday, then we now only have 4 fit defenders

Add to that the fact we have no fit forwards, I refuse to consider Vellios, then its starting to look pretty grim, I can see this season just petering out into mediocrity if we aren't careful

But on the plus side Johnny and Nikica might get to go to Brazil

We'll just have to wait and see if the money we supposedly have in the bank is still there come the summer. If we have to sell to buy again I'm going to be one fucked off Evertonian. But I'm sure the club will have an excuse ready, they've got a while to come up with it between now and then.

Isn't that what we've done for the past few summers though? Where is the Arteta money.

Come....let it all out gents...let it all out!

Bit of a bummer this...but I guess once the wounded troops are back we will kick on strong again...the next few games may be a bit tough!!!

In 'good' news....redshite couldnt get their man!

Just gotta hope it's not too late by the time they're back and we kick on.

Short term injuries have made us temporarily weaker; losing a bit of dead wood in the window hasn't. If Roberto could've improved us today he would've done; players will come back and we'll be fine, we've got where we are with the players we have and they'll keep us there (with the help of the two new faces).....Tuesday was a freak result that's rattled us but it was just a freak result, nothing more.

Nobody else in the top eight strengthened to any extent, all there was tonight was panic buying/loans from and to desperate clubs at the wrong end of the table....I'm glad we weren't part of it.

Keep the faith!

Just gotta hope it's not too late by the time they're back and we kick on.

Yeah, definately.

Some tough games in feb....spurs and chelsea away. Villa and Palace at home. FA Cup too.

Who we got out for the next few weeks? Coleman, Distin, Lukaku, Traore, Gerry....that right??? (Plus oviedo long term)

Who's 'just' fit ? Jags, Alcaraz, Barkley, McGeedy, Pienaar

Man, thats a whole team!!!

Fasten your seatbelts peeps!!!

Short term injuries have made us temporarily weaker; losing a bit of dead wood in the window hasn't. If Roberto could've improved us today he would've done; players will come back and we'll be fine, we've got where we are with the players we have and they'll keep us there (with the help of the two new faces).....Tuesday was a freak result that's rattled us but it was just a freak result, nothing more.

Nobody else in the top eight strengthened to any extent, all there was tonight was panic buying/loans from and to desperate clubs at the wrong end of the table....I'm glad we weren't part of it.

Keep the faith!

Thanks for that,, needed that!!!

Was starting to get all pessimistic! !!

Tim Howard, Joel Robles, Seamus Coleman, Tony Hibbert, Phil Jagielka, John Stones, Sylvain Distin, Antolin Alcaraz, Leighton Baines, Luke Garbutt, James McCarthy, Gareth Barry, Ross Barkley, Leon Osman, Steven Naismith, Steven Pienaar, Aiden McGeady, Gerard Deulofeu, Kevin Mirallas, Romelu Lukaku, Lacina Traoré

That's a squad of 21 players, they're pretty much the ones that are gonna have to get stuff done for the remainder of the season and that's still a decent squad imo.

Koné's injured and he's been replaced by Traoré who'll be here for the remainder of the season. Jelavic has gone and while he hasn't been replaced like for like, you could have seen it coming that no one was going to come in considering what Martinez said when we signed McGeady:

I still think a couple of players could play in that forward position so that's why it was important for us to do Aiden McGeady now rather than at the end of the season. I've seen Aiden play on the left and he probably played more on the right for Spartak. Probably his best games for Celtic were rotating between the two positions. His understanding of the space is what's important."

Obviously it's shitty that both Traoré and Lukaku are gonna miss the next 3 games or so, but would those be worth it to get another loan in? Also, just have a look at how many centres forwards Arsenal (Giroud, Bendtner, ?), Tottenham (Soldado, Adebayor, ?) or Liverpool (Suarez, Sturridge, ?) have. They'd all have to move wingers up front as well if their two centre forwards get injured.

Mirallas and Naismith are just gonna have to get the job done for a couple of games. Thinking about it I would probably have preferred Mirallas up top over Jelavic anyway and with McGeady and Deulofeu back soon as well we can afford to move him up front.

I don't care about Heitinga leaving as I wouldn't have wanted to see him on the pitch for us even if he would have stayed.

However, I would have liked a central midfielder in with Gibson out, but Martinez told the Echo in november:

"We're always looking, and in January we'll have to see where we are. What's important though is we never bring in players for the sake of it." "It won't be a case of getting someone just to make up the numbers. "If we find the right players we'll look into it, but if not I will look at the U21s and younger players here and make sure someone steps up because I've been impressed in that regard and it's important we keep that in mind."

Looking at what players moved today I don't think we missed out on anything. I would have liked Holtby, but who knows whether he would have wanted to come here considering the reason he wanted to move in the first place was playing time. If Barry or McCarthy is unavailable we can still move Barkley I guess considering the options we've got for the three positions behind the striker now. And in case of a crisis, Conor Grant or whoever's gonna have to step up. We could have signed the central midfield version of Senderos circa January 2010, but I think I prefer what we've gone with.
Obviously we HAVE to be able to spend without selling in the summer or we've been screwed over.

Keep the faith!

bugger off :shaking fist:

Good post Steve_E (and MikeO).

I dont think we have lost anything in this window and I think the amount we got for Jela is very good business.

We desperately need to get players fit again and if we do then we have a very good squad, its just really shit that half of them arent available at the moment.

Money had better be available in the summer though!

I really don't understand the negativity. Jelavic hasn't been part of the first team for ages. He played one game recently - big whoop. He's started twice for Hull and missed some sitters. No big loss. And then there's Heitinga, who similarly has not been part of the team but consumes large sums of cash in salary. Isn't it a positive simply to be rid of these players? If we really do become stretched further (unlikely since several injured players will be back soon), we do have several younger players who are close to being ready for prime time. For sure, they are no worse than the two players we let go.

And I would reiterate: This is not the right window to bring in players. If a player is good, a team will not release them halfway through a season. If there really is a reason to do so, the price will be inflated. Why would we want to blow cash on second-rate players? Of course, we wouldn't. Even then, we did bring in two players - both good deals. One was out of favour and wanted to return to Britain. The other was a recent buy at Monaco who needs toughening up.

So, we've again made money, and we've cut the wage bill. We did so by selling two players who were not likely to make it again into the first team. In my book, that is good business. Anyone who thinks we could have brought in a top-notch player for a low fee is living in cloud-cuckoo land.

Edited by Cornish Steve

Obviously we HAVE to be able to spend without selling in the summer or we've been screwed over.

My guess is that there will be quite an overhaul in the summer. Player who are stretching it to be on the first team - such as Naismith, Hibbert, Osman, Vellios, and Gueye - will be history. Two or three of the younger players will join the main squad - my guess being McAleny, Browning, and Hope. We'll replace half the on-loan players with permanent replacements. And, very importantly, we'll continue the transformation to being a younger team - which means finding long-term replacements for Jagielka, Distin, and Pienaar.

Guest blueboy122

I am gutted to see us not signing anyone and quite annoyed with the departures and no replacements.

As Romey said we always seem to get to the stage where we can really push on and make a statement and then fail to act on our good work done previously so infuriating.

I don't believe that there was nobody available Lewis Holtby should have definitely been on his way to Goodison

i completely agree cornish steve. y'all have been doom and gloom up in this crib ever since we lost to the shite. chill out, drink a few pints and clear the mind. we still have 15 or so matches, and the FA cup. We get ross back (fully fit), gerry back, coleman back, new striker fit in a short amount of time. rom will be a couple weeks, but it's not the end of the world, and better than the rest of the season.

also everyone's bashing RM now (when they were having a love fest just before the shite match) and people need to understand, he is not God, he is fallible (makes errors). He hasn't even finished his first season yet, let's slow our roll and just chill out for a minute. damn some of you cats are cranky!!

Edited by markjazzbassist

we must realize the Everton squad requires some major construction for it to become competitive in Europe on a sustainable basis -

with our lack of funds it is going to take at least 2-3 seasons moving in the right direction -

we just have to be patient and guard against stagnation - demanding a long term upward curve at all cost