IGNORED

January

Romey 1878

I'm a little surprised that there's not more focus on people leaving. As we look at the squad, we need to be at the point where we pleased to have every one of them. That's not true of Vellios or of Gueye or, in the eyes of some, of Naismith. So why are we not shipping them out?

Major change, rather than a few tweaks, would have to wait until the summer I guess; and would depend on the league position and associated extra revenue

Not got a clue tbh, just know that they bought him from Charlton out of the blue, and he went pretty much straight into their side because Sagna broke his leg.

It depends on the definition of "straight from the conference league"...

Jenkinson joined Conference South side Welling United on loan in January 2010, before starting a three-month loan with Conference Premier side Eastbourne Borough in November 2010. However, he was recalled by Charlton after a month. He made his first appearance for Charlton Athletic in the Football League Trophy Southern Section semi-final clash with Brentford at Griffin Park in December 2010, playing the whole match in the right-back position. Jenkinson signed for Arsenal in June 2011 for an undisclosed fee.

The point is, though, that players from the lower leagues can excel in the EPL - but it needs a smart scouting eye to find them. Getting back to Rhodes, I'm surprised no EPL team has taken a closer look. He is a prolific scorer.

Getting back to Rhodes, I'm surprised no EPL team has taken a closer look. He is a prolific scorer.

I think it's basically that no prem club was willing to match Blackburn's £8m for a player from League 1. I'm sure a few looked at him but thought that was a bit much. There are players that have been hugely prolific at that level but are nowhere near prem quality. Dele Adebola going back a few years again. I'm certain a few lower half prem teams would have taken a punt on a league 1 top scorer if it had been more like £2 to £3m

Edited by Ant1979

I'd say the main reason why no one has gambled on Rhodes is the price he'd cost. Blackburn paid £8m so a club is going to have to pay at least that and most clubs won't want to gamble that much (or more) on him.

If Blackburn hadn't paid so much for him I reckon a newly promoted side to the PL would've snapped him up this season.

But the point is that we covet somewhy does he not players with no Premier League experience while slamming others. There's no logic to it. If a player, year after year, can score a boatload of goals in the lower leagues, deserve the opportunity to prove it in the Prem?

I dont think anyone is slamming Rhodes but you have kind of alluded to the problem yourself. ,he is unproven and thats a lot of money for a n unproven player

My first choice striker would be Rodriques from Southampton - 8 goals this season - 1 less than Lukaku - quick feet and great runner with the ball - more suited to our style -

Jones won't make it - just my opinion -

Berbatov has a much better chance of a comeback - his contract is running out - he does not look happy at Fulham

My first choice striker would be Rodriques from Southampton - 8 goals this season - 1 less than Lukaku - quick feet and great runner with the ball - more suited to our style -

Jones won't make it - just my opinion -

Berbatov has a much better chance of a comeback - his contract is running out - he does not look happy at Fulham

Jay Rodriguez would be nice, but seeing that he's English and young he will be pricey. but i agree, if southampton implodes i would love to grab a good number of their players (schneiderlin, ward prowse, shaw, lallana, gaston ramirez). fire sale on aisle 9

I wouldn't go for Schneiderlin. Michael Essien hasn't really been playing a lot for Chelsea and if we could get him on loan then I would take it.

Plus his agent has said he will be leaving soon. If I had a choice I would pick Everton over AC Milan. 11th place and look like doing nothing this year.

Or a team who are competing for champions league place...

Edited by bluenosetoffee

I wouldn't go for Schneiderlin. Michael Essien hasn't really been playing a lot for Chelsea and if we could get him on loan then I would take it.

Plus his agent has said he will be leaving soon. If I had a choice I would pick Everton over AC Milan. 11th place and look like doing nothing this year.

Or a team who are competing for champions league place...

Mark's said some of it. Essien's career declined when he left Chelsea the first time, massively overrated on present form/play.

Schneiderlin's 24.

Essien is nearly 32.

What would you rather pay the money on? An ever declining old boy, with a wage that would make Gareth Barry gulp or an established, exciting, potentially fantastic player (who is MASSIVELY underrated btw) who will get you a further 10 years service at the very top?

No argument really.

Edited by tenaciousj

http://www.evertonfc.com/news/archive/2014/01/17/boss-happy-to-bide-time

“In January it is not easy. Things that seem impossible one day, there can be an opportunity the day after. Normally it goes down to the last day of the window and I think it is going to be the case this time. I am quite happy to wait for the right person. I don’t want to bring in a player just for the sake of it.

Get comfy lads!

Edited by Matt

“In January it is not easy. Things that seem impossible one day, there can be an opportunity the day after. Normally it goes down to the last day of the window and I think it is going to be the case this time. I am quite happy to wait for the right person. I don’t want to bring in a player just for the sake of it.

Thats fine but we shouldnt jave let Jelavic go until we had someone else in,

He's as bad as Moyes for flip flopping during the transfer window; not that long ago he was saying we weren't letting Jela go without a replacement and that we'd have all our business done well before the last day.

Im sure someone is lined up. Hes not talking about another player, doesnt mean there isnt one in the wings.

He's as bad as Moyes for flip flopping during the transfer window; not that long ago he was saying we weren't letting Jela go without a replacement and that we'd have all our business done well before the last day.

It's all a negotiation ploy. Don't worry. Here's what likely happened.

- Everton agrees on a handshake to shift Jelavic and buy/loan Person X from Team Y

- The Jelavic deal goes through

- Team Y decides to take advantage buy asking for more

- Everton now come back and say they don't need to buy

Next? Team Y backs down and we hear an announcement before or on January 31.

Sadly, there's far more business in football today than in the past. A person's word or handshake, while important, can be overridden by the accountants.

what if we already had the replacement in vellios? lukaku isn't scoring anymore which isn't hurting us, so why get a big ego striker if we don't need to? we can wait till the summer and give vellios a much needed go to see if he has it or not. remember that duelofeu should be back within a couple weeks as well in early february.

what if we already had the replacement in vellios? lukaku isn't scoring anymore which isn't hurting us, so why get a big ego striker if we don't need to? we can wait till the summer and give vellios a much needed go to see if he has it or not. remember that duelofeu should be back within a couple weeks as well in early february.

by all accounts, Toils is a big ego striker (refusing to go on loan). I'd like to see him given a run out still, always thought he could make an impact. Maybe if we don't get a replacement for Jela he will give us a chance to show us what he can do...

Tell you what is pissing me off....the amount of shite being linked to us. And I know its pissing others off too!

Relegation threatened teams get linked to all sorts of shite....teams with around 20k at home games get linked with shite...but a team chasing CL footy? Oh fuck off!

Is it a true reflection of finances though? That does make me wonder!

I'd rather we just wait until summer than bring in some shite arse.