IGNORED

January

Romey 1878

Hmm, no quotes but this article in the Daily Star reckons Roberto will turn down the £10m (??) transfer kitty on offer in January and would prefer to bring in McGeady on a free and some unspecified loan signings: http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/356757/Everton-boss-Roberto-Martinez-doesn-t-plan-to-spend-in-January

It also reckons that Gibson and Kone are due to return in the New Year, which doesn't sound right and throws the whole article into doubt for me.

The Mirror suggests the same, but adds Donovan to the January wish list: http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/everton-boss-roberto-martinez-not-2944677?

With Gibson, Kone out for the season and Deulofeu out for maybe a few months we need to look at bringing a few in. we're in a great position at the mintute one thing that stands against us for the rest of the season is that we don't have a squad capable of pushing for the whole season for top 4. there has been very little rotation this season and with injuries building up i think its imparitive we do some strengthening in january to keep the momentum going. don't think we're ever going to see the top 6 or so say as week as they are this season for a very long time.

i'd clear out jelavic, heitinga, naismith, hibbert in january, free up some funds and wages to bring other guys in. the first two listed there are big earners for being peripheral bench warmers. guys i'd like to bring in, need a cb, dm, winger, striker and maybe a few younger talents who we can blend into the squad or loan back to their clubs for the rest of the season., most notably robertson, gauld, souttar, will hughes and any other guys martinez has his eye on. mmcgeady is being linked he is a free contract in the summer could come cheap but i'd like to see someone with more quality and better potential. decent striker option could be shane long, his contract is up in the summer also so could be cheap, but again, maybe someone with higher quality would be prefferable but i'd definetely rather him than jelavic at present.

open to suggestions on the others but that's where i feel the squad needs to clear out and strengthen in order to push for top 4 or even higher thsi season, simply sitting back and thinking what we have now for the rest of the season will not be good enough.

Hmm, no quotes but this article in the Daily Star reckons Roberto will turn down the £10m (??) transfer kitty on offer in January and would prefer to bring in McGeady on a free and some unspecified loan signings: http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/356757/Everton-boss-Roberto-Martinez-doesn-t-plan-to-spend-in-January

It also reckons that Gibson and Kone are due to return in the New Year, which doesn't sound right and throws the whole article into doubt for me.

The Mirror suggests the same, but adds Donovan to the January wish list: http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/everton-boss-roberto-martinez-not-2944677?

This is simply a negotiation tactic. The last thing you want to imply is that you're desperate (note the price United paid for Fellaini). Seeming disinterest keeps prices low.

Yeah, he could get in the way of Scottish superstar Steven Naismith, or worse, Magaye Gueye.

Naismith is ok. We dont need Landon, there must be better options out there. I loved Landon in the first spell and he was ok second time around but we should be passed him now.

We should loan some of these 20 mil youngsters being offered to us instead.

Edited by Peter H

Naismith is ok. We dont need Landon, there must be better options out there. I loved Landon in the first spell and he was ok second time around but we should be passed him now.

We should loan some of these 20 mil youngsters being offered to us instead.

Martinez didn't drop any names, so I wouldn't be certain any future worldbeaters are being offered to us. Landon's first spell was overrated while his second spell was highly underrated. Pienaar is still in the squad, so clearly we are not past Donovan, as he is still a quality player (I might know this as I watch USMNT and MLS). I think it'd be wise to bring him in, as Gerard D is out for 2 months.

Martinez didn't drop any names, so I wouldn't be certain any future worldbeaters are being offered to us. Landon's first spell was overrated while his second spell was highly underrated. Pienaar is still in the squad, so clearly we are not past Donovan, as he is still a quality player (I might know this as I watch USMNT and MLS). I think it'd be wise to bring him in, as Gerard D is out for 2 months.

If he replicates his form from the end of this season then I'd definitely have Landon back. He's, by far, a better option than Naismith.

If he replicates his form from the end of this season then I'd definitely have Landon back. He's, by far, a better option than Naismith.

I find it absurd that some here have rated Naismith over Donovan. Naismith is the epitome of mediocre, although I still think he can do a job here and there.

But he is here, Everton are already paying his wages. Get behind the lad, scored the winner against Chelsea

When did I say I'm not behind him? When he's on the pitch I'm all for him, but in reality, he's nowhere near Donovan's level.

Oh, and Dan Gosling scored the winner against Liverpool in the FA Cup derby.

Landon's first spell was overrated while his second spell was highly underrated. Pienaar is still in the squad, so clearly we are not past Donovan, as he is still a quality player (I might know this as I watch USMNT and MLS). I think it'd be wise to bring him in, as Gerard D is out for 2 months.

This. I know I've said this before, but I don't understand why people say he wasn't great the second time around. 6 assists in 9 matches played. I'm not sure those were all starts either. Sure, there were no goals that time around. But his effect on our play was dramatic.

I find it absurd that some here have rated Naismith over Donovan. Naismith is the epitome of mediocre, although I still think he can do a job here and there.

He's not a "sexy" signing.

Naismith has nowhere near the technical skill of Donovan, and that's crazy to think about, because it's not like Donovan has the golden touch of Ronaldinho, Berbatov, et al. I definitely believe Donovan is far more intelligent, and he hasn't lost his pace. Admittedly, I'm probably a bit biased considering my American connection, but I really just don't see anything in Naismith besides his work rate and determination.

However, when it's all said and done, I don't believe for one bit that Donovan is actually a consideration of Martinez'. Like others have said: a rehash.

with barry, lukaku, deulofeu all on loan how many more loanees are we allowed in a premier league squad? i may be wrong but thought there was a cap or something? also if we have no money to spend in january that is a farce, 33.5 million in total for fellaini and anichebe and we brought in robles £3m mccarthy £13m kone £6m for transfer fees and maybe loan fees for lukaku and barry and deulofeu but can't imagien them being huge, where has the £15m gone left over from those player sales plus we were always told we had money to spend in the summer so budget some in for that? now we're talking about more loan signings? unbelievable..

Edited by Walker

with barry, lukaku, deulofeu all on loan how many more loanees are we allowed in a premier league squad? i may be wrong but thought there was a cap or something? also if we have no money to spend in january that is a farce, 33.5 million in total for fellaini and anichebe and we brought in robles £3m mccarthy £13m kone £6m for transfer fees and maybe loan fees for lukaku and barry and deulofeu but can't imagien them being huge, where has the £15m gone left over from those player sales plus we were always told we had money to spend in the summer so budget some in for that? now we're talking about more loan signings? unbelievable..

Probably split between player wages and paying off some of the debt at a guess

The bank?

I'm pretty sure at least Lukaku's up-front loan fee was pretty high. That seemed to be public knowledge, right?

Anyhow, there's nothing wrong with holding back the funds in January. As others have mentioned, the window is smaller, there are less players available, and you'll generally overpay. Loan signings (maybe with a view to permanent deals, come the end of the season) seem a great way of handling the January window. We don't NEED any new permanent signings right now, but if we could get a few potentially promising players in on loan in January to beef up the squad, just in case, then that would be great.

The way it sounds heitenga will leave and jelavic loaned out. So well need to bring in either Duffy or get a CB, and well need to replace jela with someone like vellios, gueye, or get a signing.

I see another loan coming in and one signing. I'm comfortable with saving the money till the summer, using it plus champs money and going big to get depth and replace lukaku for champs league next year.

The way it sounds heitenga will leave and jelavic loaned out. So well need to bring in either Duffy or get a CB, and well need to replace jela with someone like vellios, gueye, or get a signing.

I see another loan coming in and one signing. I'm comfortable with saving the money till the summer, using it plus champs money and going big to get depth and replace lukaku for champs league next year.

I dont think we need any CBs this window. Jags and Distin are obvioulsy Robertos first choice pairing and we have Stones and Alcaraz as back up with the option to recall Duffy if things went really bad with injuries in that department

A CF has got to be the top priority if only to keep Lukaku on his toes, and maybe another winger

http://www.evertonfc.com/news/archive/2013/12/20/roberto-targets-are-set

We need to guard against losing a little form and if we could find two players that have the right personalities, that would be exactly what we need. If not, I have been very impressed with the way a few of the Under-21s have been performing and working, so we will have fresh legs, whatever happens.

I like this, in particular.