IGNORED

January

Romey 1878

Not in the Premier League hes not

I know I've made this argument before, and it is flawed, but the goal is the same size, as is the ball, and Rhodes seems to know how to get said ball into said goal consistently. He's only not done that in the Premiership because he's not been given a chance, why not now? I'd be worried about how much he would cost though... Edited by Matt

I know I've made this argument before, and it is flawed, but the goal is the same size, as is the ball, and Rhodes seems to know how to get said ball into said goal consistently. He's only not done that in the Premiership because he's not been given a chance, why not now? I'd be worried about how much he would cost though...

If it was that easy Premier League clubs would be buying the leading scorers from the Conference and they'd replicate it at the top.

Like Marco said, it's about the amount of chances. And also, the Premier League is played at a much faster speed and players from lower league's often can't cope with it. When they do make the step up you hear them talking about how much faster just training is, nevermind a proper game.

One plays as an out and out striker, the other plays mostly as a winger... so you'd expect that?

But the point is that we covet some players with no Premier League experience while slamming others. There's no logic to it. If a player, year after year, can score a boatload of goals in the lower leagues, why does he not deserve the opportunity to prove it in the Prem?

But the point is that we covet some players with no Premier League experience while slamming others. There's no logic to it. If a player, year after year, can score a boatload of goals in the lower leagues, why does he not deserve the opportunity to prove it in the Prem?

If they're good enough most do get the opportunity in the prem eventually, some succeed some don't - Beckford, Nugent, etc. I'm sure somebody will give Rhodes a chance in the prem, assuming Blackburn don't get promoted that is. They paid £8m for him though I think? They would want to make a profit considering he's still scoring the goals

Because he likely doesn't have the exotic allure of somebody coming from [insert overhyped country here]. If they play in England, people think they are a known quantity. We seem to overlook how some of our best players have come from shitty leagues.

Because he likely doesn't have the exotic allure of somebody coming from [insert overhyped country here]. If they play in England, people think they are a known quantity. We seem to overlook how some of our best players have come from shitty leagues.

But looking at it from the other point of view, you could buy 4 Michu's for the price of a Rhodes. Just playing devil's advocate here that's all

But looking at it from the other point of view, you could buy 4 Michu's for the price of a Rhodes. Just playing devil's advocate here that's all

Oh, I totally get where you're at. That's what I'm saying, too, in a way. We got Coleman from Sligo Rovers for 60k. Nobody has a boner for that league, and we got him cheap. If he had played in whichever league people had the biggest boner for that year, we may have paid way more for just as unknown a commodity.

It's rarely money that people use as an argument for why we shouldn't buy from the lower English leagues. People just assume there's no quality because the premier league is x,y,z and those players just won't be able to hack it here. The same could really be said for any other league. There really isn't much science to the league somebody came up in influencing just how well they can succeed. It really is down to the player.

Yeah, I'd rather take that chance on a £2m player from the Netherlands than a £8m player from the Championship. We don't exactly have the largest checkbook around.

Seamus Coleman being an excellent example.

Bargain of the millennium but he came from am obscure league, probable equivalent to our Conference in terms of standard? Most of the talented youngsters will get hoovered up by the academies of the prem clubs these days, but yes definitely some diamonds still out there in the lower league ps waiting to be given the chance. And some late bloomers too, like Ian Wright going back a few years

I'm a little surprised that there's not more focus on people leaving. As we look at the squad, we need to be at the point where we pleased to have every one of them. That's not true of Vellios or of Gueye or, in the eyes of some, of Naismith. So why are we not shipping them out?

Because, like it or not we need numbers. Shipping them out would mean we would need replacements, and January isnt the best market as it is, so we would be paying over the odds just for squad fillers. Heitinga and Jelavic were always the likely outs. Heitinga because of the contract situation and Jelavic because we needed to get something for him while we can. I think thats the reason we havent signed a replacement for Jelly yet, teams asking too much because its january. Im still confident we will get someone in though.

Edited by GoodisonRoad

I'm a little surprised that there's not more focus on people leaving. As we look at the squad, we need to be at the point where we pleased to have every one of them. That's not true of Vellios or of Gueye or, in the eyes of some, of Naismith. So why are we not shipping them out?

Has Gueye even made the bench this season? I find his whole situation perplexing.