IGNORED

January

Romey 1878

Bang on that Cornetto Steve, bang on!

I guess RM believes we'll have players back sooner than I believe and no one available was going to genuinely strentghen the team.

I suppose we have had our nightmare game for the season....so we will march on and push hard!

Have to say I wasn't that surprised with our lack of activity. Although we have money in the bank from transfers and increased income, January transfers only occur if we were in desperate need, or if a player we wanted was available at a price we could afford. Mcgeady was a long time target and available at a fee that was acceptable.

I trust Roberto Martinez, he knows that we need at least 2 center midfield players even if we sign Barry, and a long term replacement for Pienaar, and a striker, cover Right Back and Center Back. That's quite a few players so to waste money on unnecessary players, or players who aren't as good as or better than targets identified by already would be a mistake.

At the beginning of the season I would have settled for playing good football Martinez style and finishing top 10. By November we had got to grips with the new system early and I was hopeful of a top 5 finish. Now with injuries I hope for a top 6.

But the main thing is adopting the new playing style, which we have more or less done, and the important transfer window will be the summer when we have to bring in our targets.

I really don't understand the negativity. Jelavic hasn't been part of the first team for ages. He played one game recently - big whoop. He's started twice for Hull and missed some sitters. No big loss. And then there's Heitinga, who similarly has not been part of the team but consumes large sums of cash in salary. Isn't it a positive simply to be rid of these players? If we really do become stretched further (unlikely since several injured players will be back soon), we do have several younger players who are close to being ready for prime time. For sure, they are no worse than the two players we let go.

And I would reiterate: This is not the right window to bring in players. If a player is good, a team will not release them halfway through a season. If there really is a reason to do so, the price will be inflated. Why would we want to blow cash on second-rate players? Of course, we wouldn't. Even then, we did bring in two players - both good deals. One was out of favour and wanted to return to Britain. The other was a recent buy at Monaco who needs toughening up.

So, we've again made money, and we've cut the wage bill. We did so by selling two players who were not likely to make it again into the first team. In my book, that is good business. Anyone who thinks we could have brought in a top-notch player for a low fee is living in cloud-cuckoo land.

Who would you rather have upfront Jelavic or Naismith?

I take your point about neither Jelavic or Hietinga not featuring much when everyone is fir, but the problem is that we have an horrendous injury list. Kone, Gibson and Oviedo are all out for the season and needed replacing, none of them have

I grant you the January window is a difficult one but there are players out there, we signed Arteta in January and he didnt do too badly. The club have known for months that Kone and Gibson are going to miss the season and I think its very dissapointing that they havent done anything to replace them. If we got an injury to either McCarthy or Barry we would be in big trouble

The bottom line is that if Evertons scouting network couldnt identify any replacements for Kone and Gibson then we shouldnt have sold Jelavic and Hietinga. Its just very frustrating that a promising start to the season is in real jeopardy of being derailed

Jelavic has been sold and Traore has come in. As strikers we have lukaku, Traore, naismith plus mirallas and Deulofeu can play there.

I'm not getting upset over lack of additions, Mcgeady will be fit in time and players will return.

It's always nice to sign a £10m potential superstar but we ain't in the market at January.

I've had a sleep and not feeling so down now. I think it's clear that nobody was doing much business apart from the bottom teams which is surprising considering the world cup looming and players looking to make their respective squads. It could be worse, arsenal got rejected by a load of tripe ha ha. It's obvious the big work is in the summer and I'm sure Roberto has our targets lined up. I think browning will be back up for Coleman next year after a championship stint at Wigan and lundstram if good enough will be competing alongside Osman for a place. I know he would have been on good wages but wasn't diego available from Wolfsburg for a couple of mill? He would have been mint

Jela and Heits gone. Sad to see them go, but 100k-ish a week off the wage bill for none starters is good business. They had become "what if X gets injured" players and that's a lot of money for what if players. 21 weeks til end of June (when I think Heits contract ran out) is 1.2m saved, 2.1m saved including a non-scoring striker, not to mention a profit in Jela.

Considering they were not playing, we've not lost much. I know the argument, they were there just in case, but maybe the just in case opportunities go to our youth players instead, you know, develop the talent were bringing through.

Disappointed we didn't get that marquee signing? A little. But overall not fussed. More money in the bank, so I'm excited about the summer. If nothing is pulled off in the summer, then I will be pissed off.

I take your point about neither Jelavic or Hietinga not featuring much when everyone is fir, but the problem is that we have an horrendous injury list. Kone, Gibson and Oviedo are all out for the season and needed replacing, none of them have

I grant you the January window is a difficult one but there are players out there, we signed Arteta in January and he didnt do too badly. The club have known for months that Kone and Gibson are going to miss the season and I think its very dissapointing that they havent done anything to replace them. If we got an injury to either McCarthy or Barry we would be in big trouble

The bottom line is that if Evertons scouting network couldnt identify any replacements for Kone and Gibson then we shouldnt have sold Jelavic and Hietinga. Its just very frustrating that a promising start to the season is in real jeopardy of being derailed

Its not being derailed by the lack of signings though, its been derailed by the horrendous injury list that seems to have happened all at once. I would have liked to see more bodies in the squad but I wouldnt want us to buy players just for cover. When our main players do return, all they would be doing is filling the bench, taking up wages and also taking up transfer fees that we (should/hope) be able to spend on players who will improve the first team in the summer.

I just hope that we can find a way to get through these next couple of weeks picking up as many points as we can so that we can really push on after that. Its always something that Moyes was able to do with the squad so it will be interesting to see if Martinez can also show the same qualities.

Its not being derailed by the lack of signings though, its been derailed by the horrendous injury list that seems to have happened all at once. I would have liked to see more bodies in the squad but I wouldnt want us to buy players just for cover. When our main players do return, all they would be doing is filling the bench, taking up wages and also taking up transfer fees that we (should/hope) be able to spend on players who will improve the first team in the summer.

I just hope that we can find a way to get through these next couple of weeks picking up as many points as we can so that we can really push on after that. Its always something that Moyes was able to do with the squad so it will be interesting to see if Martinez can also show the same qualities.

Yeah I get that and I wouldnt want us to sign sub standard players just to get the squad numbers up, but what I am saying is if we cant find the right players to bring in then we shouldnt be letting players go

Martinez himself has been saying for months that we needed to replace Kone and Gibson and we havent managed to do that. Since then weve lost Jelavic and Lukaku which leaves us without a CF at a crucial time of the season

Yeah I get that and I wouldnt want us to sign sub standard players just to get the squad numbers up, but what I am saying is if we cant find the right players to bring in then we shouldnt be letting players go

Martinez himself has been saying for months that we needed to replace Kone and Gibson and we havent managed to do that. Since then weve lost Jelavic and Lukaku which leaves us without a CF at a crucial time of the season

We have brought in 2 more bodies to replace the two that have left though. I get what you mean, especially in relation to Kone/Gibson but I think the two players in (certainly McGeady) will have a much bbigger impact that the two we lost. The Lukaku injury is just incredibly bad timing although I do think it might do him wonders in the long term given he wasnt at his best recently.

Lets see how Mirallas copes today along with Naismith if he comes on. Hopefully we will know more come 5pm.

It's the first of February and I'm already thinking about the summer window and about what we should get in. :unsure:

We're good in goal for another couple of years. Tim's having a good season, though he really should have stopped that Villa goal, until the summer of 2016. And Robles is tied down to 2018. No reason at all to bring in another senior goalkeeper until Tim decides he wants to retire or move to the States or something considering there are areas of real concern where the money should be spend.

I hope we're fine at full back. Baines, Oviedo and Garbutt means we're good on the left. If Oviedo can prove he's fully recovered from his injury, I wouldn't be entirely opposed to cashing in on Baines to add to the famed war chest. Simply go with Oviedo as the starter and Garbutt backing him up. On the right we've got Coleman and Hibbert. Hibbo's turning 33 in a couple of weeks though, he's been struggling with injuries and his contract's up in the summer. I think it's in our best interest to move on. Hopefully Browning can prove to our coaching staff that he's good enough at Wigan and we don't need to waste money on bringing someone in from the outside. Martinez sure was complementary of him in that podcast.

On to centre back then where we've got Jags, Distin, Stones and Alcaraz under contract. That should be enough if we don't need Stones to cover at right back as well. However, if Alcaraz is gonna keep having these injuries then we are gonna need more cover probably. Though some teams (like Arsenal) seem to get by with three centre backs. Duffy is 22 now and I think he's found his level in the Championship. Pennington is 19, hopefully he can impress at Tranmere. I'd like to bring another cheaper prospect in though, someone like Jamaal Lascelles for example. He could still stay at Forrest on loan so he doesn't have to waste away with the reserves until Distin retires, or we could simply wait to bring someone in til January so it's only a couple of months like we did with Stones.

In central midfield it's just McCarthy and Gibson plus the youngsters. Hopefully we can work out a deal with Barry. Given Gibson's injury record though, I'd like one more in ahead of Grant, Lundstram and Ledson (though he's probably a couple of years off). I think if we're to push on someone that could grab Barry's starting spot wouldn't be a bad thing anyway. I really like what I've seen of Delph so he'd be great imo.

On the wings we'll have Mirallas, Pienaar and McGeady. I'm not mentioning Naismith here as I hope he doesn't have to play here again, though obviously he can cover here when we're in need. If we can get Deulofeu back we should, but I think that's unlikely. If Kennedy continues to impress at Tranmere, I wouldn't mind having him as fourth choice though.

In behind the striker we'll have Barkley with cover from Osman. Hopefully Barkley can continue growing into a match-winner. Naisy or Kev can cover here as well. And perhaps George Green will come knocking on the door, if he doesn't become a wide man that is.

And at centre forward we'll only have Koné, Naismith and the youngsters. I don't see Conor McAleny or Chris Long as one up top centre forwards leading the line so they'll have to aim at the position in behind the striker. Hope and Duffus do have that leading man frame I think, but who knows what their level is. Duffus is just 18 anyway. So besides central midfield this is where I'd spend most of the money available to bring someone in. I'd take the gamble on Batshuayi (who's just scored 2 more goals btw) for 8m.

So in conclusion, a good window for me would be:

-we get another young centre back like Lascelles or perhaps Souttar or whatever other player that has impressed our scouts by then for 2-3m.

-we get a good starting caliber central midfielder in. Delph for 12-14m would be great.

-we get a classy centre forward in that can receive the ball in his feet. I like Batshuayi for 8m.

Don't think we'll have the money to get all of that done, but I'd sell Baines to get that done. And I'd use the remainder of the funds he'd bring in to get a playmaker that can play in the hole or on the wing (where he could be Pienaar's eventual replacement perhaps), would love to get Ryan Gauld.

It's the first of February and I'm already thinking about the summer window and about what we should get in. :unsure:

We're good in goal for another couple of years. Tim's having a good season, though he really should have stopped that Villa goal, until the summer of 2016. And Robles is tied down to 2018. No reason at all to bring in another senior goalkeeper until Tim decides he wants to retire or move to the States or something considering there are areas of real concern where the money should be spend.

I hope we're fine at full back. Baines, Oviedo and Garbutt means we're good on the left. If Oviedo can prove he's fully recovered from his injury, I wouldn't be entirely opposed to cashing in on Baines to add to the famed war chest. Simply go with Oviedo as the starter and Garbutt backing him up. On the right we've got Coleman and Hibbert. Hibbo's turning 33 in a couple of weeks though, he's been struggling with injuries and his contract's up in the summer. I think it's in our best interest to move on. Hopefully Browning can prove to our coaching staff that he's good enough at Wigan and we don't need to waste money on bringing someone in from the outside. Martinez sure was complementary of him in that podcast.

On to centre back then where we've got Jags, Distin, Stones and Alcaraz under contract. That should be enough if we don't need Stones to cover at right back as well. However, if Alcaraz is gonna keep having these injuries then we are gonna need more cover probably. Though some teams (like Arsenal) seem to get by with three centre backs. Duffy is 22 now and I think he's found his level in the Championship. Pennington is 19, hopefully he can impress at Tranmere. I'd like to bring another cheaper prospect in though, someone like Jamaal Lascelles for example. He could still stay at Forrest on loan so he doesn't have to waste away with the reserves until Distin retires, or we could simply wait to bring someone in til January so it's only a couple of months like we did with Stones.

In central midfield it's just McCarthy and Gibson plus the youngsters. Hopefully we can work out a deal with Barry. Given Gibson's injury record though, I'd like one more in ahead of Grant, Lundstram and Ledson (though he's probably a couple of years off). I think if we're to push on someone that could grab Barry's starting spot wouldn't be a bad thing anyway. I really like what I've seen of Delph so he'd be great imo.

On the wings we'll have Mirallas, Pienaar and McGeady. I'm not mentioning Naismith here as I hope he doesn't have to play here again, though obviously he can cover here when we're in need. If we can get Deulofeu back we should, but I think that's unlikely. If Kennedy continues to impress at Tranmere, I wouldn't mind having him as fourth choice though.

In behind the striker we'll have Barkley with cover from Osman. Hopefully Barkley can continue growing into a match-winner. Naisy or Kev can cover here as well. And perhaps George Green will come knocking on the door, if he doesn't become a wide man that is.

And at centre forward we'll only have Koné, Naismith and the youngsters. I don't see Conor McAleny or Chris Long as one up top centre forwards leading the line so they'll have to aim at the position in behind the striker. Hope and Duffus do have that leading man frame I think, but who knows what their level is. Duffus is just 18 anyway. So besides central midfield this is where I'd spend most of the money available to bring someone in. I'd take the gamble on Batshuayi (who's just scored 2 more goals btw) for 8m.

So in conclusion, a good window for me would be:

-we get another young centre back like Lascelles or perhaps Souttar or whatever other player that has impressed our scouts by then for 2-3m.

-we get a good starting caliber central midfielder in. Delph for 12-14m would be great.

-we get a classy centre forward in that can receive the ball in his feet. I like Batshuayi for 8m.

Don't think we'll have the money to get all of that done, but I'd sell Baines to get that done. And I'd use the remainder of the funds he'd bring in to get a playmaker that can play in the hole or on the wing (where he could be Pienaar's eventual replacement perhaps), would love to get Ryan Gauld.

Seeing as though we only have Kone and Vellios I would say we desperately need at least 2 CF in the summer

Jesus what a scary thought that is!!

Well, let's look at what happened today. With ten minutes to go, Jelavic broke clear with only Lloris to beat in the Spurs goal. He hit a tame shot right at him, and Hull dropped two points. With twenty minutes to go, Naismith came on as a sub and scored - the start of a comeback that saw Everton claim all three points. I'd say the answer to your question is obvious.

Well, let's look at what happened today. With ten minutes to go, Jelavic broke clear with only Lloris to beat in the Spurs goal. He hit a tame shot right at him, and Hull dropped two points. With twenty minutes to go, Naismith came on as a sub and scored - the start of a comeback that saw Everton claim all three points. I'd say the answer to your question is obvious.

Are you being serious or are you taking the piss?

Credit where its due it was a great run and a good finish but he hasnt suddenly become Gary Lineker

Seeing as though we only have Kone and Vellios I would say we desperately need at least 2 CF in the summer

Jesus what a scary thought that is!!

Desperately need at least 2? We only play 1, you know. You really don't need at least three senior players at every position, nor can we afford it. One starter, one for cover (and we've got this one in Koné), then play Naismith or Mirallas or one of the youngsters.

Are you being serious or are you taking the piss?

Credit where its due it was a great run and a good finish but he hasnt suddenly become Gary Lineker

I'm being serious. How many goals has Jelavic scored for Everton in the last year? How many goals has Naismith scored?

Agreed that he's not suddenly a superstar, but you asked which player I'd rather see as an Everton striker.

Edited by Cornish Steve

Desperately need at least 2? We only play 1, you know. You really don't need at least three senior players at every position, nor can we afford it. One starter, one for cover (and we've got this one in Koné), then play Naismith or Mirallas or one of the youngsters.

Not sure which part of that statement you dont understand??

Ok we have Kone, who I dont rate but thats another argument, and its already been pointed out that Vellios looks like he is off

If you honestly think a side with top 4 ambitions is ok to have Kone and Naismith as its attacking options then I think you need to step away from the glue

Not sure which part of that statement you dont understand??

Ok we have Kone, who I dont rate but thats another argument, and its already been pointed out that Vellios looks like he is off

If you honestly think a side with top 4 ambitions is ok to have Kone and Naismith as its attacking options then I think you need to step away from the glue

Thought I was being clear enough in posts #347 and #352, we'd bring bring someone in ahead of those and we'd still have the youngsters as well. Though I know Ross would still be with the U20s where belongs if you'd have your way.

Thought I was being clear enough in posts #347 and #352, we'd bring bring someone in ahead of those and we'd still have the youngsters as well. Though I know Ross would still be with the U20s where belongs if you'd have your way.

:huh:

Ok Ive had a few beers at the game so you will have to walk me through this one again

I said we need at least 2 for forwards in the next transfer window because Kone and Vellios arent good enough for a side harbouring top 4 ambitions and you imply that I want Barkley to be banished to the U20s

Could you be so kind as to fill in the gaps for me ??

:huh:

Ok Ive had a few beers at the game so you will have to walk me through this one again

I said we need at least 2 for forwards in the next transfer window because Kone and Vellios arent good enough for a side harbouring top 4 ambitions and you imply that I want Barkley to be banished to the U20s

Could you be so kind as to fill in the gaps for me ??

You were saying I needed to get away from the glue for wanting to go with Koné and Vellios. I know my English can be spotty sometimes, but I'm pretty sure you can't have taken that from what I posted unless you're intentionally misconstruing what I'm saying. I explained we'd still have the youngsters as cover as well, but that I know you don't want them to play for us as evidenced by your repeated claims that Barkley wasn't first team material and that he would be in the team if he was good enough in previous seasons. It was a personal dig at your lacking ability to recognize talent.

Edited by Steve_E

People say Stones looks uncomfortable, but there is a common problem overlooked when defenders come into our regular back line and struggle. Jagielka the England star that doesn't offer enough support to his team mates. He's a dinosaur defender and Moyes was completely unprofessional when he made hi club captain a month before fecking off, basically lumbering our next manager with him. Jags doesn't suit RM's style at all and has been Everton's biggest liability this season. No need for a replacement as Stones and Alcaraz is enough, however if a left footer is available we should snap them up.

Centre mid is the biggest gap, even if Barry stays we will need one more. Someone like Xhaka would fit in perfectly and is a realistic high end target.

Winger. If we don't get Deulofeu on loan we should do our utmost to get Lallana here. Boyhood blue and should have been brought here before Soton got promoted.

Striker. If we don't get Lukaku on loan again, Remy is a must @£8 mil he would be a steal.

Probs be around £40 mil for the three, but the TV money on top of last summers dealings should cover it.

People say Stones looks uncomfortable, but there is a common problem overlooked when defenders come into our regular back line and struggle. Jagielka the England star that doesn't offer enough support to his team mates. He's a dinosaur defender and Moyes was completely unprofessional when he made hi club captain a month before fecking off, basically lumbering our next manager with him. Jags doesn't suit RM's style at all and has been Everton's biggest liability this season. No need for a replacement as Stones and Alcaraz is enough, however if a left footer is available we should snap them up.

Centre mid is the biggest gap, even if Barry stays we will need one more. Someone like Xhaka would fit in perfectly and is a realistic high end target.

Winger. If we don't get Deulofeu on loan we should do our utmost to get Lallana here. Boyhood blue and should have been brought here before Soton got promoted.

Striker. If we don't get Lukaku on loan again, Remy is a must @£8 mil he would be a steal.

Probs be around £40 mil for the three, but the TV money on top of last summers dealings should cover it.

Would he be available for that? I'd very much like Jovetic as well, not getting a look in at City. If we have the money for Lukaku, we would have the money for him as well I'd think.

Would he be available for that? I'd very much like Jovetic as well, not getting a look in at City. If we have the money for Lukaku, we would have the money for him as well I'd think.

He has a release clause, but I'm unsure if it will still be active if QPR get promotion.

You were saying I needed to get away from the glue for wanting to go with Koné and Vellios. I know my English can be spotty sometimes, but I'm pretty sure you can't have taken that from what I posted unless you're intentionally misconstruing what I'm saying. I explained we'd still have the youngsters as cover as well, but that I know you don't want them to play for us as evidenced by your repeated claims that Barkley wasn't first team material and that he would be in the team if he was good enough in previous seasons. It was a personal dig at your lacking ability to recognize talent.

Dont be a tit all your life, everybody is allowed at least one day a week off

I have never once said that Barkley isnt first team material let alone said it repeatedly

City have Aguero & Negrado

United have Van Persie & Rooney

The Shite have Sturridge & Suarez

We have Vellios & Kone

Now I see your point, I take it all back we dont need any forwards at all

I agree with your post Steve but Im not sold on Delph just yet. He covers the ground excellently and he does have that McCarthy like engine but I still think he lacks in quality especially with his passing and his ability to read the game in an attacking sense.

I wouldnt be against getting him but I dont think he is worth much more than 5-6mil and even then Id probably only want him for cover as opposed to a starter.