IGNORED

Man United - Old Trafford 4th December

Hafnia

"I didn't see anything to suggest that Everton have suddenly become brilliant due to Martinez - they were far more formidable opponents in recent seasons - and it took a wayward shot & an unmissable chance for RM to achieve this 'landmark victory'."

That's the sort of bitterness I'm referring to - I agree that people shouldn't be winding them up about them being frustrated about their own team. However, they are putting down your team in the process, because of their hurt egos. That isn't on and you deserve more credit. He's obviously clueless too if he thinks Oviedo's chance from a narrow angle while the goalkeeper was covering was 'unmissable'.

Edited by Nikica

Absolutely stunning win tonight great game to watch!! Was tough to pick my MOTM as great all round perfomance!

Hopefully we can tick off another achievement Moyes never managed with us on Sunday

and win at the Emirates, although I'll admit I won't be going into that game as optimistic as I did tonight, but why not eh???

And all the papers said it was an injury crisis with Baines being out, 2 in 2 from Oviedo now can't argue with that!!!

My man of the match is Roberto Martinez -

he prepared the squad to win - you could sense the urgency from the kick-off -

we defended well and never lied down coming back stronger every time until the wall cracked -

Congratulations to the Martinez Magicians for making history and for making the day for ALL EVERTONIANS -

long live our new Master Manager!

Guest blueboy122

Thought the same about the Match of the day highlights.

They make out like it was some sort of daylight robbery a smash and grab type win.

Joke.

Anyone feel a tad sorry for Moyes? Where does he go from here,,,,,

Just got back home. Safe to say this night will live long in the memory. Very tired, possibly a bit bruised but all worth it. And nothing screams bitterness and knowing you're in deep shit as much as plenty of grown men outside the away end at the end of the match insulting us, calling us scum and generally embarrassing themselves. Love it.

ShvWWrA.gif

still buzzing from this win. so excited about the win and the overall team play. we were composed, the defense and goaltending were solid (league leading 8th clean sheet), our midfielders defending well, were creative, and attacked, attacked, attacked. Lukaku did well linking up and with the assist. And I can't be more excited for this emergence of Oviedo. Does anyone else find it interesting that Barkley and Oviedo were Moyes castoffs and yet are shining under Roberto?

And I can't be more excited for this emergence of Oviedo. Does anyone else find it interesting that Barkley and Oviedo were Moyes castoffs and yet are shining under Roberto?

Yea, I thought so too, but you posted it first. :happy:

Deuf...no..deauf...no...ah fuck it! DooFoo I thought was quiet and mostly ineffective apart from a couple of stunning runs where at the final blow he made the wrong decision. Although to be fair it's unlikely anyone else would have got into those positions in the first place.

There is no doubt that he'll be a superstar when he sorts those things out.

Oviedo has a blinder and Ross put in his grafting shift that Roberto wanted and midfield played like they'd played together for years. Magic!

We did ride our luck a couple of times. Howard played really well but there was times where we left ourselves open and let United get in on goal. Great win, no doubt about that. :). I think we did do well on the counter though, with Moyes when going on the counter we weren't quick. Martinez has got it into the team to be quick on the counter and attack. We did that well yesterday, we had crosses but they came to nothing.

Arsenal will be a different kettle of fish, we all know how they play. Great passing team and good on the counter and with the likes of Ozil and Ramsey playing the way they are then it will be difficult but not impossible to come away with something.

I wish young Gerard could finish. He'd be amazing!

Some of his runs last night were ridiculous. The only player that waltzes past players like he does that I've seen is Messi. I'm not for one moment saying he is better player than Ronaldo but on dribbling alone I think he's better.

Makes you wonder how many more wins we might have got away to the top four over the years if we had actually had a real go like we did last night. What the players are saying suggests to me they have fully bought into Roberto's approach. I normally dread us going to the Arsenal. Now I can't wait.

Edited by weebittight

http://www.squawka.com/news/2013/12/05/92-pass-completion-how-moyes-greatest-signing-undid-the-red-devils/2013120541187

Impressive. If it hadn't have been for Howard he'd have probably been my MOTM.

Was so difficult to pick one, he was pressed non stop when he had the ball and was really composed, clearly did a great job as shrek decided to try and do him.

Can't wait for the day when Rooney gets Shearer'ed (I remember someone doing Shearer with an elbow - Justin Whittle I think) - has anyone done Rooney yet??? He deserves it, he did McCarthy when he was at Wigan too.

I thought we started the game exceptionally well. We passed the ball about well, held on to it for long periods and looked full of confidence. United looked like the away side and we looked like the home side. It was a massive difference to what we've been used to when going to Old Trafford. Roberto was right, we were playing with arrogance rather than fear or too much respect. However, after about 20-25 minutes there was a downturn in our play. We were still seeing a decent amount of the ball but I thought we became quite sloppy in possession and slipped into playing it a bit too slowly. This allowed United to settle into their pattern of play and they started looking more of a threat. In fact, we were on the ropes leading up until half time. We managed to create a few openings on the counter (that was good to see) but I thought they had the more clear cut chances.

The second half was more open and it was a case of you attack, we attack. Again we saw much more of the ball than we usually do there and we didn't look fearful, we looked a threat at times but I really think we could have used the amount of ball we had better in terms of us creating scoring opportunities. United again came closer to scoring more often, IMO. But our goalkeeper and defence, Jagielka in particular, were on top form. Even so, I didn't feel like we ever had our backs up against the wall like in the past. We didn't panic or go to bits, we traded blow for blow with them. But when our did come it was while we were putting them under an extended period of pressure and we had them on the ropes this time. There was a bit of fortune with Lukaku clearly going for a shot but completely messing it up and it falling perfectly to the Costa Toffee.

While I'm incredibly happy with the result and the confidence we showed and the way we swarmed forward in numbers, I do feel that the performance has been a little embellished due to the result. So I still feel like there's plenty to come from these players, especially against the so called big boys. If we can win when against them when not firing on all cylinders (Chelsea was the same) then imagine what we'll be able to do if we hit our straps against them?

We rode our luck but I don't really care because over the years we've gone there and had no luck whatsoever, so it's about time the luck was on our side.

Howard - What a phenomenal performance from him. He pulled off some amazing saves when a goal looked certain. He is the main reason we were still in a position to win the game right at the end, so he gets my MOTM vote.

Coleman - A much improved attacking display from him. His crossing wasn't great but he showed more willingness to go forward than I've seen from him lately. This was shown clearly when he won the free-kick that led to our goal. A brilliant run right across the face of their box, drawing the foul. A couple of times he was caught the wrong side of his man but generally he did well defensively.

Jagielka - An absolute brick wall. Nothing was getting past him last night, nothing! He put in a monumental performance. He made blocks, won an unbelievable amount of headers, he passed well, was calm under pressure. He did everything that you'd want from your captain in the big games. My favourite thing about his performance though? After we'd taken the lead he comes marauding out of defence with the ball, waltzes past Giggs and makes him have to foul him. Eating up time. Class. Just class.

Distin - He wasn't quite as calm and composed as Jags but he was mostly solid, and a good foil for Jags.

Oviedo - I'm not going to get all starry-eyed because he got the winner. I don't think he played that well in all honesty. He got forward well all game long but his crossing was awful. And defensively he was quite suspect I thought. But on a few occasions he defended very well, so I'm hoping that was just down to rustiness having not played regularly. Fantastic finish though when under massive pressure.

Mirallas - He had a great game and was responsible for us being so good on the counter. Always willing to take men on, and invariably beat them. Also, the way he worked the space to create the opening for that shot early in the first half was brilliant.

McCarthy - I can only remember him making one mistake in the entire game. That was when he fell over his own feet and lost possession, giving a golden opportunity for United to come at us. It'd have been harsh if that mistake had been punished because, other than that, he quality. He never stopped all game, he must've covered every inch of that pitch. His energy levels are just something else. He didn't just cover space though, he dominated their midfield every time they approached and more often than not he either repelled the attacked or took the ball from him. He's looking like an absolute steal.

Barry - He was brilliant as well. He's a lot older than McCarthy but he showed just as much enthusiasm to cover the pitch. It was very impressive. He was so good at breaking up attacks last night. What I found most impressive about him was his passing though. Countless times he received the ball in awkward positions and without even looking would ping the ball to a team mate in space.

Pienaar - Another quality performance to follow up the sublime showing against the shite. He used the ball brilliantly and linked up well with everyone around him, always moving the play expertly. He was our conductor. For about 60 minutes he moved about the pitch at full tilt, never letting up. For a fella his age that's going to take a lot out of you and it's no wonder he fell off the cliff eventually. But he gave everything for the cause.

Barkley - I was quite disappointed him tbh. He made a few good driving runs forward but I thought he lacked fluency. Maybe that game off was bad for him.

Lukaku - He was in and out of the game, but when he was in it he was really in it. He dominated Vidic and Smalling, and on more than one occasion made the pair of them look like donkeys by using his strength to great effect. He also showed great work ethic for the side by chasing the ball down, holding the ball up so others could join in, used the ball intelligently. The one thing that let him down at times was his first touch. It was atrocious sometimes. Got himself an assist, even though it was a skewed shot they all count!

Good write up Romey, I agree we can get carried awy by the result which our endeavour merited, but yeah there needs to be more of the same with a little more limitation on our "lost minutes" - where we go from looking a high tempo dangerous side, to one that is all of a sudden clinging on...

The good parts are very good - and soon enough we are gonna give a team a 6-0 stuffing... we just need to make sure that against better quality we cut out the "lost minutes" where we are at risk of conceding and ruining our good work.

The most pleasing thing was the statement of intent from our manager and that some of us weren't stupid enough to think that pragmatism was not the only way to go against the so called super powers.

Out of the 3 Moyes bogey teams so far - we have got 7 points out of 9 (Chelsea, Liverpool, Man United) - and really could be 9/9. Now if that doesn't tell you that Martinez knows how to set up his team to have a go, nothing will. Arsenal next, more of the same with a little bit more focus on cutting out mistakes and maintaining tempo.

I was very surprised by Moyes during the game, bringing on 2 attacking substitutes before the 60m mark. I had to rub my eyes in disbelief!

They werent exactly attacking substitutions and more like for likes if you look at them properly.

The attacking intent was in taking Rafael off and putting Valencia at RB which is something Fergie has done a lot in the past. Rafael is an attacking full back as it is so I dont think Valencia moving deeper really did that much.

Januszaj was the best sub because he was a real thorn down that right wing and given Moyes must know all about Oviedo Im surprised he didnt set up to attack our LB from the start. He was only a straight swap for for Kagawa in terms of their attacking intent but its not what I would call an attacking substitution, just more of the same.

The last sub was Hernandez for the hapless Welbeck which again is a striker for a striker and that was after we had scored (I think?).

If I am honest they are what I would call lazy subs. Nothing especially clever or tactical (unless Moyes wanted to target Oviedo of course) but they were just fresh legs. A bit like the Naismith sub for us at the end.

Speaking of subs, I have to say that bringing Osman on is what I think won us the game. Once Barkley went off and Mirallas moved inside, we simply couldnt hold onto the ball well enough (which I was surprised at tbh) and Utd piled on the pressure and kept coming back at us, albeit not creating an awful lot. Once Osman came into that midfield role, we were able to hold onto the ball, create more angles and move up the pitch as a team again and that allowed us to pin them in before the goal eventually came.

Like Romey says, it wasn't a performance to get carried away with but we outplayed Utd and kept the ball in much more dangerous areas than they did. I would say they had the better chances (just) but we had countless more opportunities and when we starting making the most of these opportunities and play that final ball to the right person, or finish off a move properly we are going to be a match for anyone. You could see that the players really believed they could win and really believe they were there for the 3 points. Once we scored the intensity went up a couple of gears and they didn't even look like scoring.

Playing Arsenal in their back yard will be a completely different kettle of fish and it could be a goal fest, but if we go there and believe we can win and put in a performance we are capable of it will be a bloody good game if nothing else!