IGNORED

Stoke - away

Guest rusty747

Guest rusty747

Another tough test. Howard and Barry back but probably still missing Jags. I don't think this will be a classic and that we will need to grind out the points. It will be interesting to see how RM handles Baines and Oviedo. Oviedo does not deserve to be dropped but Baines might be better suited defensively against a physical Stoke side. I would like Pienaar to start on the left so I guess my starting line up would be

Howard

Coleman Alcaraz Distin Baines

Barry McCarthy

Mirallas Barkley Pienaar

Lukaku

We should still be good enough to come away with three points.

We need a few more players on form instead of our back five.

I think we need Pienaar back, we lacked that creative spark without him. But maybe he did need a rest.

With Barry back we might also see young Ross be able to be a bit more creative.

Right wing is the biggest problem. I am worried that Mirralas just isn't happy here. He doesn't seem to be Up for the cause. But we also don't have anyone to replace him with at the moment.

I think you all are reading too much into Mirallas bad form. He will come good, he was the same when we got him.

Bad form is relative too considering he's been by far our most creative player with 5 assists (sharing the 6th spot in the league) and 29 key passes (13th in the league). He's also improved his pass accuracy compared to last season and is our most accurate passer on the wing. He's at 82% pass accuracy this season, Pienaar is at 81, Deulofeu at 75 and Naismith at 65. Yet he puts in more crosses per game than them (1.5, compared to Pienaar's 0.4, Naismiths 0.2 and Deulofeu's 0.2). Pienaar does touch the ball a lot more per game, but he's much more of a playmaker than a traditional winger. He dribbles more than Pienaar and Naismith, yet loses the ball less than Pienaar per game and less than Naismith if you'd take into account that he plays less minutes per game than Mirallas. As long as Mirallas does something with the ball when he has it, I'm fine with his performances. He just needs to get into the box more himself imo to get some goals.

Bad form is relative too considering he's been by far our most creative player with 5 assists (sharing the 6th spot in the league) and 29 key passes (13th in the league). He's also improved his pass accuracy compared to last season and is our most accurate passer on the wing. He's at 82% pass accuracy this season, Pienaar is at 81, Deulofeu at 75 and Naismith at 65. Yet he puts in more crosses per game than them (1.5, compared to Pienaar's 0.4, Naismiths 0.2 and Deulofeu's 0.2). Pienaar does touch the ball a lot more per game, but he's much more of a playmaker than a traditional winger. He dribbles more than Pienaar and Naismith, yet loses the ball less than Pienaar per game and less than Naismith if you'd take into account that he plays less minutes per game than Mirallas. As long as Mirallas does something with the ball when he has it, I'm fine with his performances. He just needs to get into the box more himself imo to get some goals.

Spot on. Its not like he isnt putting the effort either. Same applies to Lukaku as well. I wouldnt say that either is in sparkling form but they contribute a lot more to the team than they get credit for.

Distin is a doubt for this one. Hope he plays because I don't fancy Alcaraz and Stones up against Stoke. If Alcaraz was fully match fit then it wouldn't be a problem but he's still easing his way in and it'd be a lot to ask of him right now to have to hand hold Stones through a game like this one as well.

Same here, especially against Stoke who are still quite physical. Barry, Howard and Baines back in there would help too but still not ideal!

I think it'll be Alcaraz and Stones today - heard a few rumours. Crouch could give them a tough afternoon especially with the weather. With McCarthy, Barry and Barkley back together and experience at the back in Howard and Baines I would hope we've got enough to help them through!

Alcaraz looked assured and calm against the Saints, I think he will help Stones through the Stoke game. Plus having Barry and McCarthy in front will give added protection. We need Coleman and Baines to go forward so we don't get penned in our half. We need to put Stoke on the back foot.

Edited by London Blue

Love the fact that Stones is already pointing and shouting to the rest, telling them where to be and what to do

I think he'll be a good one. Whether he's ready now... We'll see. Stoke doesn't have the most talented forwards, but they are big aerial threats, so it will be a challenge for Stones.