IGNORED

Stoke - away

Guest rusty747

It was only a couple of weeks ago when the sentiment at this forum was that we should not mess with the back line. OK, so it was forced by injuries, but we're a stronger team because of rotating players at the back. That's what squad depth is all about.

And it's still my sentiment. If it's still working when Jags recovers then Alcaraz should keep his place until a change is necessary again due to poor performances, an injury or suspension.

I'd put Jags back in right away, to be honest.

So would I, Jaggs at 100% fitness would start over Alcaraz.

Alcaraz has proved his worth in the last couple of games, which is great news for the club/squad, but you'd really like to start any game with your best players.Jaggs wasn't dropped due to poor form, if he's fit he should play.

Alcaraz will be great to have on the bench, and his turn will come.

Same with Stones, I wouldn't start him over a fully fit in form Distin, but he's a great prospect who hopefully will claim his place in time.

Having Alcaraz and Stones play so well, puts the pressure on Jags and Disitin to perform, and gives us great strength in depth in that department.

I have to wonder what people are expecting from an Everton team playing at Stoke on a wet and windy day. Their fourth fixture in a week. We people expecting them them to transform into Brazil circa 1970, whip the ball around at will, have the center backs doing step-overs as they nutmeg strikers on their way in a 70 yard marauding run forward? Wingers that beat half the opposing team before curling an unstoppable volley into the top corner? Forwards that make the Harlem Globe Trottters look like look like Lukaku.

This was your definitive wet Wednesday in Stoke. Its a tight pitch, and having shipped lots of goals in their last 2 matches they were always going to play aggressive, spoiling tactics, which they did well.

We created the better chances and although not our fluent best we did open them up a few times and were unlucky not to win. I thought for the last 15 minutes of the first half and most of the second we played well and only the post, Shawcross and some desperate defending stopped us scoring.

I though Mirallas played well, much better than his last 2 games. He was running at opponents and created a few chances, passing to teammates, and his shooting was also good, which is a sign of him playing well. Lets not forget he is still one of most dangerous and creative players, last season showed that, and his stats for this season are good, just not great. I believe he will of created the most assists for us by the end of the season.

Yes Lukaku has a poor touch, but lets not forget he is only a young man still learning the game, he will get better and he will score and create goals for us with his pace, power and finishing ability. He doesn't have the touch of a bumper car on purpose and hes not doing it to piss us off, its just something he needs to improve on.

What encouraged me most was that when we went behind we didn't revert to hoofball, we played on the deck, opened them up,and got the goal.

Looking at our last 5 fixtures we have 10 points from 5 games - pretty good considering that Swansea are tough to beat (I had us down for a draw), and Southampton are playing good football this season (looking a bit leggy at the moment tho). The Sunderland game was just one of those games where no matter what we did we were not going to get a result, just one of those games.

Our next two games at home to Norwich and away to WBA are very winnable, and if we win these we will be in a great position. So lets not be so down and overly critical, of the results we got in the period that is the Festive fixture lottery.

SUN 29 DEC 2013 - PREMIER LEAGUE

Everton 2 - Southampton 1

THU 26 DEC 2013 - PREMIER LEAGUE

Everton 0 - Sunderland 1

SUN 22 DEC 2013 - PREMIER LEAGUE

Swansea 1 - Everton 2

SAT 14 DEC 2013 - PREMIER LEAGUE

Everton 4 - Fulham 1

Edited by London Blue

I'm afraid I was unable to watch the game again, so it shouldn't be any surprise it was another poor performance and points dropped. I promise today was the last family get-together until next year at the earliest though.

About Lukaku, his first touch is a clear weakness. And while he's young, I don't think we should expect huge improvements in that area. According to Wenger there's limited or no technical development in players after the age of twelve for example. He's still got fine goalscoring instincts and contrary to Jelavic, he does have more going for him than just that goalscoring touch. The pace, strength and dribbling ability to be a very big threat on counter attacks, though I'm guessing that wasn't very useful today against a side that likely weren't very adventurous and who won't have given away much space in behind. Still if we were able to get together the money for a top striker in the summer, I'd prefer a different type of striker. Basically someone that fits the Koné profile in terms of playing style, but someone younger and better.

Managed to carch highlights of todays game (when the miserable cunts at the BBC finally decided to feature us) , and from what was available, a point was the least the team deserved today. Any trip to Stoke City is awkward for most opposition sides, and on paper at least, it represents a decent outcome, but those who were in attendance today will tell a different story.

Seemed for so long would start off with a loss, but baines saved it at the end and the club got a point, but disappointed they were unable to get the victory they deserved, but still very recent after that 4 - 0 home success a few weeks back. Pleased, but things could have been so much better.

Just watched the FF replay.

That was a difficult game against a very determined and aggressive Stoke side. We didnt help ourselves in the first half by giving the ball straight back to them and I thought that our front 4 were all especially guilty of this and allied with Stokes physical presence (especially with Distin out) it caused us a few problems that we havent seen so far this season.

Overall we did well enough without ever really getting going. We had our moments and dominated possession for large parts of the game but Stoke looked as equally threatening IMO when they got the ball forward to Crouch who gave Alcaraz a few problems aerially.

It was a game in which no-one really stood out due to the way Stoke played but on his league debut I thought Stones was excellent and it was a real bonus to see him cope so well. Him and Alcaraz did look like they had a decent partnership and importantly both are very good on the ball.