IGNORED

Tom Cleverley

Commentys about him on Villa forum:-

I want Cleverly on a permanent deal. He controls the tempo of the match so well under Sherwood.

His energy was a big help yesterday - we played some nice attacking stuff yesterday and he helps with the quick transition from defence to attack.

Yeah, I'm praying we get him. We need to stay up for that to happen, but I think he's shown in the last couple of months that he really is an excellent footballer, we look so much more controlled when he's in midfield.

Looks like a different player to the waster I saw against Sunderland at Christmas time

I said at the time that Lambert got the push, that hopefully we'd start to see who were the actually shite players, and who were good players being slowly ruined by the worst manager we ever had. Cleverley looked a class act yesterday, and I hope we keep him.

I think a lot of that comes from the abuse he got when he was in the England squad. A lot of that wasn't deserved, he probably shouldn't have been in the England squad so much but him being selected wasn't his fault. Sadly I think he will go to Everton rather than stay here, I believe that is mainly due to where he lives though more than anything. Its a shame because I think we are starting to see what he is capable of and he is has way more ability than Westwood IMOI think a lot of that comes from the abuse he got when he was in the England squad. A lot of that wasn't deserved, he probably shouldn't have been in the England squad so much but him being selected wasn't his fault. Sadly I think he will go to Everton rather than stay here, I believe that is mainly due to where he lives though more than anything. Its a shame because I think we are starting to see what he is capable of and he is has way more ability than Westwood IMO

Really need him back for the next game, his energy is one thing but his ability to win the ball back and get it moving back up the pitch has been exceptional since Sherwood arrived.

I have said from the get go that he is a tempo setter, very under rated player who got a disgusting amount of criticism that has not left him. I seen a proper midfielder of real quality before Kevin Davies done him, that quality doesn't just go.

Sadly people will rush in rather than form opinions for themselves - reputation goes a long way.

I have said from the get go that he is a tempo setter, very under rated player who got a disgusting amount of criticism that has not left him. I seen a proper midfielder of real quality before Kevin Davies done him, that quality doesn't just go.

Sadly people will rush in rather than form opinions for themselves - reputation goes a long way.

Same here, and I'm glad his poor form all season seems to be down to mismanagement rather than him not being as good as we thought.

Yeah, I said somewhere that statistics show he increases the passing tempo of any team he plays in. At ManU, with all their players, the difference was stark.

I've mentioned before i've played against a lad who plays a similar way and I could not get near him, He didn't play one defence splitting pass, didn't dribble, didn't even tackle much - literally everythin they did went through him and he took no more than two touches, all their offensive players got on the ball so often because he was so clever in his movement. The had so much of the ball because of him.

why would we get him? we are loaded in central midfield. barry will start, so will mccarrthy and we have gibson and besic. are we going to 433 with 3 central holding mids now? maybe 343 and we can add cleverly to the mix. just jam up the middle of the field and pray for draws.

no all week and twice on sunday.

Gibson is going to play 30% of the games based on previous experience, Ossie is coming to the end of his career so we've essentially got 3 players to cover 2 positions. Also, as Haf says, he is a clever footballer, which will help progress the ball (instead of the tippy tappy bullshit) up the field and is an additional cover.

On a free, young, knows Martinezs style and excelled under him - whats not to like? Worst case is we sell him for a profit.

Gibson is going to play 30% of the games based on previous experience, Ossie is coming to the end of his career so we've essentially got 3 players to cover 2 positions. Also, as Haf says, he is a clever footballer, which will help progress the ball (instead of the tippy tappy bullshit) up the field and is an additional cover.

On a free, young, knows Martinezs style and excelled under him - whats not to like? Worst case is we sell him for a profit.

I'd like some creativity in the middle, that's a big reason why Cleverley isn't a good option. We have too many players that will simply keep things ticking over.

I'd like some creativity in the middle, that's a big reason why Cleverley isn't a good option. We have too many players that will simply keep things ticking over.

I want creativity too, but quick passing is also essential to creative play and I think Cleverely could provide that. Not tricky, but quick, sharp passing.

Oh my fucking good god. How about this from that article for a pearl of wisdon

The Everton manager said: Within football losing or winning doesnt affect players; its how you lose and I think every player whos faced Everton this season will have come out with a real respect and a real appreciation of the way we play as a club.

I'm so fucking worried about next season :(

Guest rusty747

If he really said that and really meant it then he has to go. It just destroyed what little was left of a winning mentality.

Edited by rusty747

I've thought the same. Folks weren't too excited about Gibson, but he's been worth more than his fee. Cleverley could be the same.

Difference is, he can't get into a really poor Villa side or spark them into doing something a bit different.

If he was new from United I'd agree but the fact his loan to Villa has resulted in him not being able to break into a bottom 6 team is enough to suggest my initial thoughts were spot on.

Difference is, he can't get into a really poor Villa side or spark them into doing something a bit different.

If he was new from United I'd agree but the fact his loan to Villa has resulted in him not being able to break into a bottom 6 team is enough to suggest my initial thoughts were spot on.

He has played in at least the last two matches.

just talk to any villa supporter carnt wait to get rid of him boring player with nothing to offer

a yes man who wont make a mistake because he disappears most of the match and then gets subbed off in a piss poor team like villa

I see hes compared with Gibson ? when have you ever seen him split a defence with a pass

he offers nothing we haven't already got.

just talk to any villa supporter carnt wait to get rid of him boring player with nothing to offer

a yes man who wont make a mistake because he disappears most of the match and then gets subbed off in a piss poor team like villa

I see hes compared with Gibson ? when have you ever seen him split a defence with a pass

he offers nothing we haven't already got.

Do you actually follow what is going on recently? He has been a key player under Sherwood - look at any villa forum they are hoping he signs a deal.

Just for the record we could sign Cleverley on a free, he becomes a squad player and even if things aren't great for him he is at least a £7m midfielder - worth it or not that would be the going rate.

For my money he is the type of player that would do well. He's not going to appeal to those looking for the spectacular - he will be McCarthyesque, a keep ball player who moves intelligently and sets tempo. A good partner for James IMO.

Do you actually follow what is going on recently? He has been a key player under Sherwood - look at any villa forum they are hoping he signs a deal.

have you actually watched him play and stop listening to the hype.

a couple of average performances don't do it for me

Edited by seve

Most people struggle to see what the likes of McCarthy offers, as well as the likes of Cleverly - the also fail to see what Michael Carrick offers.

It doesn't mean they offer nothing - they do offer qualities that are just not as apparent.

I'd like to see him run the show against Liverpool in the Fa cup semi final