IGNORED

Has this "squad" managed injuries better than previously?

MC11

Squad comparison of last 10 seasons  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Is this the best squad we 'be had.

• Yes it's has the most depth
    • It's the same as usual
    • No we've had better squads

Under Moyes our squad was always pin thin. With 12-13 decent lads. But injuries to our top players usually had a real affect on our season.

For me this season has had a good few serious injuries. Ones the squad could have done with out. However I believe the squad has been big enough to deal with them and in terms of players slotting in I think this is the best squad as a whole we've had for a decade.

There's players like for like everywhere. Even without Gibson and Kone we've had good cover everywhere.

Thoughts?

I went for 'same as usual'.

We have still had a lot if injuries. Remember we still struggled after xmas with depth and therefore results, performances etc. And dont forget how many of you were going mental because we signed Traore injured...because of the injuries we had!!!

Where Martinez has triumphed, for me, is in how he has utilised the full squad. So this season we have seen Stones, Barkley and Naismith all look like much better, more trusted and more reliable players. We had these players previously...but it didnt feel like we did.

....we have also utilised sending youth out on loan with purpose. Now we are seeing these youngsters take their place on the bench, ready to step in.

We always had, or mostly had, a similar sized squad, but the same select players were used no matter what. This gave the illusion of a small squad.

Edited by Newty82

Were fifth chasing fourth.

Yes this squad has copied better with injuries.

As opposed to this time last year when we were 4 points behind Arsenal in 6th chasing 5th?

Its been the same old story when it comes to injuries, all though to be fair we have had more than our fair share to contend with this season

We are strong in some areas , such as CB and LB but weak in others such as CF

Same as usual but Martinez for me has created a more expansive squad in the sense that he hasn't tried to put heitinga in midfield or distin at left back for example.

If Moyes had lost Baines we would have crumbled, whereas we actually did well.

Same as usual but Martinez for me has created a more expansive squad in the sense that he hasn't tried to put heitinga in midfield or distin at left back for example.

If Moyes had lost Baines we would have crumbled, whereas we actually did well.

I suspect that if Moyes had lost Baines he would have used Oviedo seeing as though it was him who bought the player

As opposed to this time last year when we were 4 points behind Arsenal in 6th chasing 5th?

Its been the same old story when it comes to injuries, all though to be fair we have had more than our fair share to contend with this season

We are strong in some areas , such as CB and LB but weak in others such as CF

Don't know about you but I feel more optimistic this run in, whereas last year I felt we were waiting to fall.

I suspect that if Moyes had lost Baines he would have used Oviedo seeing as though it was him who bought the player

We lost Baines for part of last season. If my memory is right, Distin got shifted out. Hettinga came into middle. Oviedo was sat on the bench. I remember it being very frustrating as Het's was having a mare for a few games...but still a natural LB was left in the bench.

A year makes a huge difference to someone's development. That six months in and around the first team would have done Stones and Oviedo (a year) good and they would certainly be better players at the start of this season than they were last season. Oviedo was not very impressive under Moyes. In the few games he played he didn't look half the player he is now.

Coped much better with injuries this season I reckon. Pretty much all the ones we've had, have been to lads in form or confirmed starters.

Look at the 6 who are out at the moment; Jags, Pienaar, Oviedo, Gibson, Kone, Traore... and the others who have missed some part of the season due to injury. From memory; Baines, Distin, Barkley, Deulofeu, Lukaku.

If we had been 'taking a water pistol to a gunfight', in previous years our water pistol would have been dripping into our shoes and we would have battled bravely, but still got nothing. I also feel that we've been more prepared to allow players to recover fully before putting them back into the mix... with the odd exception obviously.

I still don't think we will do it

Live to be proved wrong but 4th is still Arsenals to lose

Its ours to lose down to the very fact that we don't have to worry about what Arsenal do, they have contributed that part, we are now 1 point behind with a game in hand and better goal difference.

They have a semi final at Wembley on Saturday and play West Ham just 3 days later. Big Sam hates Wenger and would love to set his team up to stifle them and get a point. By the time we have played Sunderland and Palace it is conceivable that we can be 3 points ahead with a game in hand (if west ham grab a point)... that 3 points can be the buffer for Man City beating us.

It is our to lose. COYB!

Same as usual, and I don't think it's been down to more depth or better quality. It's purely down to Roberto not putting round pegs into square holes when replacing an injured player which has allowed the squad players Moyes brought in to develop.

Agree with most of what's being said previously (i.e. similar squad size but better managed by Martinez). One thing that I don't think's been mentioned though is how much more dangerous our bench looks these days. Moyes' seemingly anti-winger mindset has well and truly been blown out of the water by Martinez and long may it continue!