IGNORED

Samuel Eto'o

It's a terrible idea paying him daft wages for two years at his age, for a player that will probably flop at his possible last club.

I don't agree with it one bit. The clubs made several statements this year, however making statements and spending money you don't have are two different things.

I didnt agree with spending 28 million on Lukaku either, as much as I love him he wasnt worth it.

I really hope he proves me wrong, but a handful of goals from the bench isn't going to justify his wages.

Football economics: at this point youth commands a huge transfer fee, because if Lukaku is successful he can be sold for 60-70 million in four years (see Bale, for example).

As for Eto'o, I read somewhere he was on low wages and he does not cost a penny in transfer fees.

I would say his impact for the club is bigger than a handful of goals, not everything happens on Saturday at 3pm. It's like Hibbert's contract, I feel there are some values that Martinez appreciates (professionalism, attitude, inspiration, value of the club) and that help the group and its intangibles.

"Eto'o can teach Lukaku a better attitude." Think about this for a couple of minutes.

How negative is your opinion on Rom exactly? Or are you oblivious to the terrible attitude Samel has shown in almost every step of his career?

Sooooo, Lukaku never had a strop at being subbed in the WC? He hasn't had games where he just doesn't really fancy it and doesn't show???

Maybe if Eto was Belgian it wouldn't be such an issue - when he's on the pitch he gives 100%, plenty of players have disputes, not all players have achieved what Eto has...

It's a terrible idea paying him daft wages for two years at his age, for a player that will probably flop at his possible last club.

I don't agree with it one bit. The clubs made several statements this year, however making statements and spending money you don't have are two different things.

I didnt agree with spending 28 million on Lukaku either, as much as I love him he wasnt worth it.

I really hope he proves me wrong, but a handful of goals from the bench isn't going to justify his wages.

Eto accepted less money to sign for us... he could have got loads more playing in another league.

He is going to be good for Lukaku, he can school Lukaku - if Lukaku gets a bit big for his boots the old "show me your medals" shout can be used. Apparently Rom is keen to work with him so its win win for me.

He's a free transfer so cost nothing. If he's on 50k a week it's hardly stupid money and certainly wont be the best paid player. If it's his last club, he has excelled at all his others there's no reason to say he wont with us.

The guy is a world class player and arguably the biggest player ever to sign for us (in recent times anyway) he may of lost a bit of pace but his quality will still be there.

It's a win win situation, he'll ooze class and confidence and bring a winning mentality to our team.

I honestly don't see how anyone can see any bad in this. I'm more excited over this one than Lukaku but part of it is because he'll teach Lukaku so much.

The way I see it, once he has been Evertonised - he will be fully motivated to becoming a legend for the club. Can he do that in 2 years? Yes, Andy Gray did.

Once Everton has touched you nothing will be the same Alan Ball

Totally agree with you. Gray is an excellent example.

People scoffed at Barry calling him a has been and past it and look how that turned out.

I honestly don't get this mercenary stuff he could have gone to the middle east and earned fortunes for a Quater side or the USA for mega bucks but he took ANOTHER pay cut to play for us because he wanted to play competitively in one of the best leagues in the world. If that doesn't show his commitment I don't know what else the lad can do to shoe people.

It would have been easier for him to go off to some shit league as a global superstar pick up a massive salary and do fuck all . Instead he chose to stay in the Premier League and fight for a place with us for LESS money.

How anyone can call him a mercenary after he has done this is beyond me it really is.

Same with his off pitch attitude, He has only stood up for himself when they've been trying to rip him off or not pay him what's due. The fact of whether he needs it is totally irrelevant it's his money and he is standing up for his rights to get what he has earned. If anyone on here was paid an hour short in their wages would you just write it off as you wouldn't really need that hour , no you wouldn't you'd make sure you got it because you had earned it and it was yours. If you knew the guy who processed the wages was slotting it in his pocket you'd rightly be furious.

Same principal applies here.

Made up he's signed my boy wants his name on the 3rd kit and has spent all morning watching him on You Tube . He's ecstatic over it and so will thousands of other young Blues (and older cough cough me) who are just as excited.

Fabulous signing by the club in so many ways.

i think we are seeing a very big value in martinez. i think he is the main reason we are able to get lukaku and eto'o here. it seems that he has alot of respect already from players. if the rumors are true and eto'o took less to play with us, then i give rm all the credit.

if we can get into that elusive top 4, i think we can really take off.

Edited by djsunyc

Is it just me that is fuming about the abuse of squad numbers!

For a traditionalist Roberto doesnt care about squad numbers, this upsets me.

Eto'o chose it himself. He said something along the lines of "it's a new chapter I just wanted a new number so I picked 5 but next year I'll maybe pick 22 as it's my future wife's birthday or maybe I'll ask for an old number I had at another club" or words to that effect anyway.

Although I have to admit I'm a bit disappointed he's searing 5 but as I pointed out earlier, if he scores plenty he can wear just a bra and knickers if he wants.

I do get where you are coming from though.

It's just traditional Newty mate, it's not vitally important, just old school grumblings.

I know. And I felt the same some years ago. But I got over it...I'd prefer him to wear a 5 over something stupid like 40+1 (who was it who had a number like that? In Italy I think?) Or 99. Or 69. Rude.

I know. And I felt the same some years ago. But I got over it...I'd prefer him to wear a 5 over something stupid like 40+1 (who was it who had a number like that? In Italy I think?) Or 99. Or 69. Rude.

They should take Kones 9 off him, give Lukaku that and give Eto'o 10 and give Kone the phone number to the physio on his.

I feel squad numbers are very important at Everton, more than any club in the world, we had the first 1-11 on our shirts. I genuinely think its an important part of history and to be preserved. But thats just me. And maybe Matt, i'm pretty sure he gets hung up on squad numbers like me.

Why the hell are we looking at him dive and small incidents in a 15 year career, why not look at his positives he has lots of them.

because someone asked for examples of why people are dubious about his signing.

For the umpteenth time, noone is questioning his ability, its well documented.

Is it just me that is fuming about the abuse of squad numbers!

For a traditionalist Roberto doesnt care about squad numbers, this upsets me.

Not just you Steve, we signed Rom & Bobby banged on about him being potentially "the best #9 out there", then he gave him the #10 jersey! Fuck Kone, Rom should be 9, Ross 10 & T-How #1! (In my head anyways)

Not just you Steve, we signed Rom & Bobby banged on about him being potentially "the best #9 out there", then he gave him the #10 jersey! Fuck Kone, Rom should be 9, Ross 10 & T-How #1! (In my head anyways)

It is irritating but some players are really superstitious and/or sentimental so let them have what they want.

Speaks French, we have Distin, Lukaku, Mirallas and Martinez for that ;)

And fluent Spanish too after spending so many years there, so that'll help with Martinez and Oviedo. I reckon he'll already have a smattering of English anyway - he seemed to understand a few of the questions before the interpreter spoke.