IGNORED

Xherdan Shaqiri

I don't think Shaqiri would be a good move for us, big time prima donna who has been shown the door by three clubs already. Hughes fancies himself as Mr Big Time, let him take a punt on him.

I share the general despondency, though. Its worrying when first weekend of the new season and Swansea, Palace and Southampton all look to have better squads than ours. You couldn't have dreamt of that happening under Moyes, is Martinez just not tough enough to stand up to our useless board.

Part of me would like to believe this is all part of a long term plan, go through a bit of 'austerity' to pay off the debts, and on the field aim to build a side for two, three years time around a really promising crop of youngsters. But then again another part of me just thinks our club is being run by tossers who are starting to let clubs like those named above overtake us.

It's not even a case of if he was right or wrong for us. We were clearly in for him (there's no smoke without fire) and he chose Stoke over us. Fucking Stoke!!!! Forget if he was going to be good, attitude, right player... Forget all that the fact remains we couldn't compete financially with Stoke or with ambition whichever it was he chose.

If we wanted him we should have got him.

Edited by Paddock

Guest rusty747

Even WBA have just smashed their transfer record and found £12 million for the striker from Zenit St Petersburg. I think we may have lost out big time in this window - all, no doubt, while trying and hoping to save a few quid. Very sad.

Edited by rusty747

Guest rusty747

As far as Shakiri goes, I have to agree. I think Mark Hughes is more likely to keep him in line than Bobby brown shoes though. But I do feel we could have had Virgil here already, plus a decent attacking mid and maybe Lennon too. If it all happens on the last day of the window then we will have wasted our first 3-4 games by playing a less than optimal first team and will also have wasted our next 3-4 games as the new boys integrate and find their feet and roles within the team. Madness!

Edited by rusty747

Relax lads. He does appear to be a grade 'A' cunt. Reminds me rather of Drenthe. We'll bring in some complete unknown, from Greece or Turkey most likely, and happily watch Shakiri get himself driven out of Stoke.

I think its us who look cunts we can not compete with stoke west ham, west brom, palace, etc etc.

I think pad is right something not very nice is going on at goodison.

we will probably get a couple of journey men in on the last day.

Seems a bit strange that he has had a successful medical, fee's agreed etc but still not confirmed. Aparanyly Bayern have some sell on clauses with him...although you'd expect this to be one of the first things sorted out.

SSN reporting tonight that us and Newcastle are still trying to hijack the deal. Could he be stalling? Who knows.

I think we would be looking at him. He fits what we need and the age bracket and price is in our 'target area'.

He's a cracking young player, may end up one of those who was hyped as a teen and never quite reaches the very top level. Skillfull, pacey, strong. Would be a good addition.

There seems to be questions of his attitude. He seems to have been fine until Guadiola took over Bayern. Maybe didn't get on or whatever. Also had some trouble with his hamstrings...as always these days with powerful pacey players.

I've not got a good record with calling players for attitude reasons having got gazumped on both Eto'o and Distin. So I'll leave that there!!!

Seems a bit strange that he has had a successful medical, fee's agreed etc but still not confirmed. Aparanyly Bayern have some sell on clauses with him...although you'd expect this to be one of the first things sorted out.

SSN reporting tonight that us and Newcastle are still trying to hijack the deal. Could he be stalling? Who knows.

I think we would be looking at him. He fits what we need and the age bracket and price is in our 'target area'.

He's a cracking young player, may end up one of those who was hyped as a teen and never quite reaches the very top level. Skillfull, pacey, strong. Would be a good addition.

There seems to be questions of his attitude. He seems to have been fine until Guadiola took over Bayern. Maybe didn't get on or whatever. Also had some trouble with his hamstrings...as always these days with powerful pacey players.

I've not got a good record with calling players for attitude reasons having got gazumped on both Eto'o and Distin. So I'll leave that there!!!

I would absolutely love to bring him and Lennon and and to get rid of McGeady. That would be a cracking set of wingers. My gut feeling says we are working on a deal for Lennon and we were never that close to a deal/that interested in Shaqiri.

Stoke finished above us in the league, have been bringing in new players all summer, they look like they are pushing forward.

We, don't.

£70k a week for a big name signing can not be so bad, that's around what our top earners get, and he would obviously want to be top earner too.

If/when he signs for Stoke, that is a statement of intent. Fair play to Hughes, he's done a great job since he went to Stoke.

Stoke finished above us in the league, have been bringing in new players all summer, they look like they are pushing forward.

We, don't.

£70k a week for a big name signing can not be so bad, that's around what our top earners get, and he would obviously want to be top earner too.

If/when he signs for Stoke, that is a statement of intent. Fair play to Hughes, he's done a great job since he went to Stoke.

Signal of intent? He's bought 10 players which is going to completely destabilize the squad and adding this ego isn't going to help. Hughes just likes to think hes playing FM in real life.

• 2 weeks later...