IGNORED

Tim v Joel

Mogsy

Yeah. Tim has made 4 individual errors leading to a goal.

(Guess who comes next? Lukaku!!! With 2! Joint with Barry tbh)

Anyway, it's been the biggest piss off for me this season. Joel should have stayed in. I don't think it is coincidence that we started to look confident and assured at the back as Joel grew in stature game by game.

I don't think we'll see Howard as No.1 next season. If at all.

Guest rusty747

Neither Tim nor Joel are the long term solution but, from who we have now, it has to be Joel. Tim is not playing well and really pissed me off with his smiling when he shanked a clearance straight out of play recently. He comes across as not fully committed. He may care more than he shows but he is a professional and should show he cares. It's time to sort the men from the boys, the fighters from the quitters. Sadly, Tim doesn't come in the right side of the line at the moment. Put Joel in for the next 10 games, let Tim go at the end of the season and bring in a new number one.

Martinez loves his stats so you'd think something like that would hit home with him. Then I remember his balls have shriveled over the summer.

Wrong stat to prove a point to him.

That just shows he is the most punished that's all, doesn't say he has made the most mistakes.

If a goaly makes a bad mistake twice a match but is lucky enough not to get punished. But another makes one mistake every ten matches and is unlucky enough to get punished....which is the better keeper?

Not saying that is the case with Tim as I think he needs to be dropped.....Just that it's a bad stat to use.

Yeah. Tim has made 4 individual errors leading to a goal.

(Guess who comes next? Lukaku!!! With 2! Joint with Barry tbh)

Anyway, it's been the biggest piss off for me this season. Joel should have stayed in. I don't think it is coincidence that we started to look confident and assured at the back as Joel grew in stature game by game.

I don't think we'll see Howard as No.1 next season. If at all.

I love seeing Lukaku bearing down on goal, but it's terrifying when he comes into our half!

I worry Tim will still be there next season, I'm hoping for an offer from MLS to take him away but I think it would have been done by now.

Lukaku has passed the ball to two opponents leading to them scoring. How is that possible for a striker???

The answer is this, he has no ability to take ball on the half turn, to face up the opponent. He is that concerned about his touch that it's a hot potatoe and he fires it back to the last man.

If I was his team mate I would not pass the ball to him. Unless it was ahead of him.

He still managed 15 goals though, so not all bad. Maybe try him in goal, can't be any worse.

It's like having a PC that can play games at ultra settings but crashes when trying to send a crucial email or buy something on the internet.

Thought as per the previous chat that's a useful analogy.

Guest rusty747

Lukaku may have scored 15 for us but he has also effectively scored at least 2 og's due to him giving the ball away cheaply when we are attacking, leading to us getting caught out on the break. I think the fact that Lukaku frequently traps the ball further than I can kick it is a significant factor in our full backs not bombing on so much. They dont want to be caught out when Lukaku gives the ball back to the opposition.

Edited by rusty747

Guest rusty747

How on earth has the Howard vs Joel thread turned into a Lukaku debate?

Every single thread virtually in the Everton section has Lukaku arguments all over it.

Half the reason I just skip by most posts these days.

Anyway.. Carry on Lukaku bashing.

Fair point Guv. Guilty as charged m'lud.

Back on thread. Get Joel back in goal. You could see the confidence restored to the back four with him in goal.

How on earth has the Howard vs Joel thread turned into a Lukaku debate?

Every single thread virtually in the Everton section has Lukaku arguments all over it.

Half the reason I just skip by most posts these days.

Anyway.. Carry on Lukaku bashing.

Because Billy Bullshit is obsessed with him !

Can remember as a lad a period in the 70's when the goalies jersey was a straight fight between Dia Davies and David Lawson, if either showed a loss of form for more than a few games he'd probably be dropped giving the other a chance, they both had decent runs at a time in the first team.

Joel came into the team off the back of a couple of shakey performances but after a couple of games under his belt started to look pretty good.Tim Howard is a big man, big enough (I hope) to let Joel have a crack when he showed that form.Letting Joel retain his place when he was doing so well, would have been good for Joel, good infact for Howard and probably good for Everton.

You can't have favorites Mr Martinez, confidence builds players up, what do you think dropping Joel when he was playing well did for the lads confidence.

just to emphasise Roberto's lack of man management how much pressure has he put on robles to put in a perfect performance

had he left him in he may have gone on to do very well for the rest of the season we don't know if he had not then he could have put TH back in

but now the pressure would be immense for him to put in a faultless performance

just poor management again

Martinez wanted competition in all positions so that if a player is out of form, there is good competition to replace. This was meant to motivate the regular players to get the best out of them, and, to show that coming here as a squad player would get you a chance to impress.

In dropping Joel (and Besic earlier in season, and Garbutt after Europa), this has not only removed the motivation of the regular players (because it has shown that you will not lose you place due to strong competition from the squad), it must be demoralising for the players trying to get in the team. Why would Garbutt, Joel and maybe even Besic want to stay if they have no chance of getting a regular spot however good they do.

It's almost as if improving the squad depth was a complete waste of time and money, as the effect it should have had has been nullified by what I believe are poor decisions by Martinez.

Edited by markiediow

He comes across as an arrogant prick in that article.

He should bloody well be bothered about the criticism as it's been fully justified. If it was just Tim being picked on then I would say fair enough but he's been awful. Never mind end of the season Tim when you look at what you've do e, after each game.

I'm so glad it's the fans that will be here long after this tit has gone.

That's my view on the majority, certain managers, certain players have a long standing place in our hearts. That is earned by having an understanding as to how they need to behave and respect the club.

The likes of Joe Royle, Alan Ball, Brian Labone, Southall, Dave Watson, Peter Reid, etc etc will always have a place in our hearts.

This tit has got too big for his boots. Been a good servant but his arrogance is annoying. He should at least recognize the job Robles did in his absence.

I think pro footballers need to show a thick skin. More so now than ever.

I often wonder how us fans would react at work if we found ourselves berated by 30,000 people? I don't think many could even handle walking into their place of work and having, say, 5 colleagues call them 'shit', 'useless', 'your kids not yours', 'your wife's a slag'...etc etc. Most would probably file a complaint in search of compensation or call the union.

At the moment, with this below par season, there is not a lot these guys can say that is 'right'. To be honest, I'm not arsed what answer they give to journo's, like us all I just want some meaningful league performances and wins.

• 2 weeks later...

hahahahhahahahha, pad ole lad your best mate begovic is shit too. everyone saying robles sucks lets get begovic, he's terrible.

get brad guzan, another american, in GK prime years and keep the US audience. percentage is decent on a shit team, imagine what he could do with stones and company.

Jesus Mark, calm down son you'll make yourself ill.

It's just a table with a chart, it doesn't portray the whole picture although I suspect Howard will be at the top for most.

If you're taking that as gospel I presume you think Adrian is better than Courtois and Hart then?

Edited by Paddock

Guzan is the poor mans Howard. A bad season; age creeping in or hangover from his WC performances?

Funny to see Begovic down there too. Aren't Stoke supposed to be a defensive team? Never bought into the hype. He is a good keeper, no doubt, but he is not an improvement which is what we need.

We need a long term replacement. I'd honestly like ambitious loan moves at the moment. Tide us over for a season, address the more important areas (AMC) then spend big.

Guzan is the poor mans Howard. A bad season; age creeping in or hangover from his WC performances?

Funny to see Begovic down there too. Aren't Stoke supposed to be a defensive team? Never bought into the hype. He is a good keeper, no doubt, but he is not an improvement which is what we need.

We need a long term replacement. I'd honestly like ambitious loan moves at the moment. Tide us over for a season, address the more important areas (AMC) then spend big.

Are you saying play Howard for another season or Joel?

Are you saying play Howard for another season or Joel?

Honestly think Joel has earned his chance as starter, worst case Howard can step in.

To replace Howard with a solid, long term candidate is a summers budget. It's not this summers priority for me.