IGNORED

Liverpool (H)

Kev627

As I said I couldn't give two fucks what you think mate. You're clueless. I couldn't care if McCarthy made 100 tackles out of 100. There was no improvement on our side. The whole team stinks.

I'm in agreement with much of what you're saying after today's game but your stance on McCarthy I can't agree with.

He's not there to score goals or make defence splitting passes. He's there to break up play etc. Which is exactly what he did, and he had a great game. No one was screaming for him to come back because he was going to bang a goal in, so I don't know why that's a stick you're beating him with.

It doesn't have to be Mirallas v McCarthy.

The thing I find fascinating is liverpool have gone through the exact same. Conceeding goals, couldn't win a game....they changed formation and dragged a few draws out in PL and in Europe.

Every liverpool fan said to me, it's better than the way we've been playing and it's progress. Look at them now. You's should be ashamed of yourselves

The thing is though, Newty, Barkley was playing shit stuck out on the left wing (still confused by that tbh!), not in the number 10 spot. Putting him there is the way to get his confidence back because it's a position he thrives in.

It's a tough one, though, because I love Naismith and what he brings to our team but his first thought is always to pass it back as soon as he gets it, not get hold of it, turn, and go towards their goal. He slowed us down so much today. And when he wasn't doing that he was giving the ball away. Our ball retention all round was woeful though.

I agree about Barry. He's great when he gets the ball and just gives it to someone else straight away. The longer he has the ball the more likely ending is him losing the ball.

I also agree that it's clear we've chosen to get back to being solid defensively. I don't agree, though, that it's giving the attacking players confidence to just get on with their jobs. Why? Because they're being asked to concentrate on defending!

I think the stick was warranted in both instances. His job is to find the balance, and he's failed. We've shown that we can do both, so there's no reason why it can't click. Unfortunately, it's going to come far too late in the season to make any difference :(.

I too expect to see all three play against Chelsea as well.

I should say that what I mean by being solid at the back giving confidence to the forward players is that this will be the eventual outcome once we actually get that side of our game going again. As in, they'll feel assured to be able to 'express' themselves and take more risks knowing that those at the back are on song and ready. I'm not to good at making sense of these things when speed typing on my phone!!!

I think we all love Naisy. But an on form Barkley gives us so much more there. I think Barkley was on the left/right because at the time, Naisy was doing a fine job in the middle. Not so much now though!

I should say that what I mean by being solid at the back giving confidence to the forward players is that this will be the eventual outcome once we actually get that side of our game going again. As in, they'll feel assured to be able to 'express' themselves and take more risks knowing that those at the back are on song and ready. I'm not to good at making sense of these things when speed typing on my phone!!!

I think we all love Naisy. But an on form Barkley gives us so much more there. I think Barkley was on the left/right because at the time, Naisy was doing a fine job in the middle. Not so much now though!

That's the hope. I'll be crossing my fingers that the defence won't go back to being porous again when, and if, they don't have the entire side defending in front of them as well!

That's fine, and I can see the thinking behind keeping Naismith in the number 10 role. But in that case Barkley should've been benched and brought on for Nais as a sub. Instead playing him on the left has utterly destroyed his confidence. Playing players out of position just to get them in the side is one of my biggest hates. I hated Moyes for it and I'm not going to be any different with Martinez. In fact, Moyes got slaughtered for playing Barkley on the left, but for some reason Martinez escapes criticism for it by most of our fans.

I'm in agreement with much of what you're saying after today's game but your stance on McCarthy I can't agree with.

He's not there to score goals or make defence splitting passes. He's there to break up play etc. Which is exactly what he did, and he had a great game. No one was screaming for him to come back because he was going to bang a goal in, so I don't know why that's a stick you're beating him with.

It doesn't have to be Mirallas v McCarthy.

It's always been Mirallas v McCarthy on here though. I see Mirallas as a very special player. One that our club doesn't see enough of, can't afford and most likely won't see again until we've been bought out. McCarthy is a workhorse and I don't doubt that he played well tonight. It's the constant insistance that he makes Everton tick.

He's not that type of player there are plenty of McCarthys about.

It's always been Mirallas v McCarthy on here though. I see Mirallas as a very special player. One that our club doesn't see enough of, can't afford and most likely won't see again until we've been bought out. McCarthy is a workhorse and I don't doubt that he played well tonight. It's the constant insistance that he makes Everton tick.

He's not that type of player there are plenty of McCarthys about.

I'm feeling very odd in this particular instance of Mirallas v McCarthy because I'm agreeing with you about Mirallas but I also see McCarthy as someone who makes a massive difference to how we play.

I'm either balanced or have split personality :lol:.

That's the hope. I'll be crossing my fingers that the defence won't go back to being porous again when, and if, they don't have the entire side defending in front of them as well!

That's fine, and I can see the thinking behind keeping Naismith in the number 10 role. But in that case Barkley should've been benched and brought on for Nais as a sub. Instead playing him on the left has utterly destroyed his confidence. Playing players out of position just to get them in the side is one of my biggest hates. I hated Moyes for it and I'm not going to be any different with Martinez. In fact, Moyes got slaughtered for playing Barkley on the left, but for some reason Martinez escapes criticism for it by most of our fans.

I always think it's an argument of do you play a talented player slightly out of position or a less talented player in the right position? It's a tough one.

I think what really got Barkley was the crowd reaction to him. He started to get some real stick and took it to heart. Martinez had to take him out of the firing line. Was it Martinez fault in the first place? Possibly.

For the team, just as we needed a defensive line up to be on form, we now need the attacking guys...Mirallas, Lukaku, Barkley, Naismith, Lennon...to produce.

We all hope it comes!!!

I'm feeling very odd in this particular instance of Mirallas v McCarthy because I'm agreeing with you about Mirallas but I also see McCarthy as someone who makes a massive difference to how we play.

I'm either balanced or have split personality :lol:.

It can't be Mirallas vs McCarthy can it?!!!

Totally different players with totally different jobs.

The argument has never been those 2 Vs. Each other.

I always think it's an argument of do you play a talented player slightly out of position or a less talented player in the right position? It's a tough one.

I think what really got Barkley was the crowd reaction to him. He started to get some real stick and took it to heart. Martinez had to take him out of the firing line. Was it Martinez fault in the first place? Possibly.

For the team, just as we needed a defensive line up to be on form, we now need the attacking guys...Mirallas, Lukaku, Barkley, Naismith, Lennon...to produce.

We all hope it comes!!!

I would honestly always go with the less talented player in his natural position, always. No one can say it's hindsight with me because it's something I've always said.

It's not those versus each other in terms of position. But whenever Mirallas gets some stick then McCarthy tends to get snide remarks thrown out about him, and vice versa.

It shouldn't be like that because the both benefit us, just in VERY different but EQUALLY as important ways.

I would honestly always go with the less talented player in his natural position, always. No one can say it's hindsight with me because it's something I've always said.

Yeah, I know.

I would say it depends on the player.

If I'm honest, I would expect a Barkley to be able to play right/left of a 3 if needed. It's not to far out of position.

But hey, proof in the pudding...He struggled!!!

It's not those versus each other in terms of position. But whenever Mirallas gets some stick then McCarthy tends to get snide remarks thrown out about him, and vice versa.

It shouldn't be like that because the both benefit us, just in VERY different but EQUALLY as important ways.

Exactly. On the forum it's not McCarthy Vs Mirallas...its member vs member.

Know what I mean?

I won't be renewing at this point. Tonight's game was the first time I've sat there and my head was completely burnt out. I didn't want to be there. The frustration *waiting* for Barkley to come on. Subing a mirallas *again*.

You would have had Mirallas, Barkley and Lennon all on and we would have been smashed and then you would have come on calling for his head.

You would have had Mirallas, Barkley and Lennon all on and we would have been smashed and then you would have come on calling for his head.

Yeh I would and we'd probably have won.

So we needed 3 sitting midfielders? Played for a draw. Moyes got slatted for that. At home as well.

Joke that Robles was the only player looking for Lukaku. Naismith was out of his depth toda, love his aggression but he didn't offer enough going forward today. Overall The team was very poor at creating chances and RM took to too long to make the subs.

Lennon looks like he will give us more balance, looking forward to him and Mirrallas playing together with Lukaku up top.

It was simple. I saw it everybody saw it.

Lennon on the right Mirallas on the left Barry off.

Fully agree with this Lennon looked sharp once on and given more time I think he along with Mirallas if he stayed on would have caused them a fair few problems add Barkley to that aswel

Barry has been pretty ominous this season and barely done fuck all he's becoming a pedestrian, Martinez's Neville..?

He's becoming Moyes like with his insistence on playing certain players each week

The only thing I disagree with you on is McCarthy as I personally think the lads a great player who does make a difference

Edited by EFC-Paul

Which is why I'm mystified by the calls for Lennon to replace Barry - "totally different players with totally different jobs." Taking off Barry would have undermined the focus on a solid defence and represented a big risk. Replacing Mirallas with Lennon was like for like.

And Mirallas was no great shakes today. Besic and McCarthy, on the other hand, were immense.

Which is why I'm mystified by the calls for Lennon to replace Barry - "totally different players with totally different jobs." Taking off Barry would have undermined the focus on a solid defence and represented a big risk. Replacing Mirallas with Lennon was like for like.

And Mirallas was no great shakes today. Besic and McCarthy, on the other hand, were immense.

I agree. I like the formation just with Ross for Barry and let him roam whilst Besic and McCarthy dominant the midfield. Lennon looked tidy and could actually make a first time pass!

I think that's kind of the point though, Steve; not going like for like and actually showing some intent to win the game with it getting towards the end of the game.

And this shows how far we've come. Desperate to take a point at home.

Oh yeh you're not even an a Everton fan.

Amazing isn't it... Step away from the forum and see whether it's me that fans the flames and wants to protect the sanity of other posters. Fortunately for me it appears that it isn't me. Unfortunately for us we have an antagonistic bellend who just can't help himself.

A draw under the circumstances wasn't a bad result. It was the final 3rd that we looked bereft of ideas. What is all this shite about McCarthy? Good solid performance, won us the ball, shielded the defence, did his job. Unfortunately Rom, nais and mirallas were pretty shite up top.

Edited by Hafnia

Amazing isn't it... Step away from the forum and see whether it's me that fans the flames and wants to protect the sanity of other posters. Fortunately for me it appears that it isn't me. Unfortunately for us we have an antagonistic bellend who just can't help himself.

I think that's been known for a long time Haf.

As we say, just side step, ignore and move on.

I think that's kind of the point though, Steve; not going like for like and actually showing some intent to win the game with it getting towards the end of the game.

We were set up not to lose, with confidence low and a tough set of fixtures ahead it was important to get something from the game.

With Liverpool in good form it made sense to go safety first, especially with it being McCarthy's first game back from injury.

In the future I like the idea of Mirallas on one wing and Lennon on the other, I think having 2 effective wingers is something we have missed this season.