IGNORED

Tim Howard

He kept us in the game until that first goal, we should've been 3 down.

The first goal is Jags fault for not stepping up (I assume that's why Stones didn't keep up with the run), in my opinion. It forced Howard to take a gamble on it going across the box which, 9 times out of 10, it would've done. Kolarov made it look much worse that it was be being clever and I bet any other keeper in the world would've gone with a ball across the box.

Second one, what could he have done?! Brilliant ball in, defence stood watching and very composed finish.

He kept us in the game until that first goal, we should've been 3 down.

The first goal is Jags fault for not stepping up (I assume that's why Stones didn't keep up with the run), in my opinion. It forced Howard to take a gamble on it going across the box which, 9 times out of 10, it would've done. Kolarov made it look much worse that it was be being clever and I bet any other keeper in the world would've gone with a ball across the box.

Second one, what could he have done?! Brilliant ball in, defence stood watching and very composed finish.

He doesn't even lift his hands up when Nasri lobs him.

I give up, I really do.

He is a liability, as for keep us in the game he never made a save any keeper in that league would not have made that's his job.

I don't call hitting him the face as great, good positioning that's all

to be beaten at your near post from that angle is school boy stuff.

cleverly not tracking back fast enough then standing with his hand in the air pathetic

as for the second goal he comes running out stops half way and makes it easy for the forward to lob him

why did he not carry on coming out and make it difficult for the lad to score

anyone one who thinks they were not his fault is either a relative or does not understand what a keeper is about.

At the end of the day RM is to blame he has watched all these mistakes over the last 12 to 18 months and done nothing

if he does not think robles is the answer than why has he not got someone else in.

He is a liability, as for keep us in the game he never made a save any keeper in that league would not have made that's his job.

I don't call hitting him the face as great, good positioning that's all

to be beaten at your near post from that angle is school boy stuff.

cleverly not tracking back fast enough then standing with his hand in the air pathetic

as for the second goal he comes running out stops half way and makes it easy for the forward to lob him

why did he not carry on coming out and make it difficult for the lad to score

anyone one who thinks they were not his fault is either a relative or does not understand what a keeper is about.

At the end of the day RM is to blame he has watched all these mistakes over the last 12 to 18 months and done nothing

if he does not think robles is the answer than why has he not got someone else in.

He doesn't even put his hand up in the air for the secod and ssyou say, why does he stip? He should have kept charging out and made Nasri shit himself. Instead he comes stops and stands still as he's lobbed. Not even a token gesture of his arms up. I don't even want to talk about the first. How anyone can't see that is absolutely shocking keeping from a premier league goalie absolutely baffles me.

He had had a decent game up to that point but that shouldn't make it be acceptable for those goals.

I thought he had a good game. The first goal you can blame Howard, Stones, Jags, all three of you really want to. Most full backs would have passed that, Kolarov isn't most full backs and loves a shot. Tim had a choice to make, he got it wrong. Nasri had a brilliant finish, Tims expected him to go low so kept his hands down, if he puts his hands up and Nasri plays it low he still looks stupid. It's just great play from a very good player. If Tim plays like that every week he'll be a hell of a lot better than nearly all of last season.

I thought he had a good game. The first goal you can blame Howard, Stones, Jags, all three of you really want to. Most full backs would have passed that, Kolarov isn't most full backs and loves a shot. Tim had a choice to make, he got it wrong. Nasri had a brilliant finish, Tims expected him to go low so kept his hands down, if he puts his hands up and Nasri plays it low he still looks stupid. It's just great play from a very good player. If Tim plays like that every week he'll be a hell of a lot better than nearly all of last season.

Totally agree, the keeper always gets the stick, its the nature of the beast.

At the ooposite end of the scale I could say "if Rom controlled one of those 3 balls played to him on the edge of the box he could have scored 3" - of course that even by my standards would be churlish.

I think Tim as I said yesterday looks a god few pounds lighter and he needs our support. I see on Twitter Bellew has been quite vocal in support for him and I agree.

Tim as I have said has let his stock fall last season which means the boo boys are ready and waiting (me - a great one to talk I know) - but that is the way I see it.

• 1 month later...

What are your thoughts on TH at this point? The term that always comes to mind first and foremost when I look at him is 'frustration'. There are glimpses of very solid playing with a healthy dose of keen leadership skills, but then after watching him the past two matches I scratch my head and wonder WTF he is thinking sometimes (or not thinking for that matter). Where was he in the 6-yard box when Ings scored that header last week - I always think of another solid keeper such as De Gea, Cortois, Neuer, etc and in my mind those lads would have been in the air at least TRYING to make something happen. Same thing yesterday - did we really need to concede three (3) goals, or did he simply blow it by diving in the wrong direction coupled with poor judgment on timing?

Bottom line - I like the guy a lot - I want him to succeed (obviously, and for multiple reasons), but I just don't see an increase in ability, judgment, technique, etc - sorry to say that I see a decline, and last season he cost us many goals and that cannot be argued. Should he shoulder all of the blame, and is our defence part of the problem at times? No and yes, respectively, but I hope that RM has some plan on the backburner here since his expiration date is getting closer and a stellar keeper could transform this club to a solid top 4 if the planets start aligning.

What says you?

Edited by chalkpie

Against Liverpool and against United Barkley lost his man from a corner, both times punished. If he really cant defend, get him out of the box. Put Lukaku back in there, he can defend a corner.

Tim has been in good enough form this season for me. If we could bring in Ruddy I'd have been happy, though he had a nightmare yesterday, should have done better for at least two goals. Maybe not this summer, but the summer after, then we'll need a keeper.

What are your thoughts on TH at this point? The term that always comes to mind first and foremost when I look at him is 'frustration'. There are glimpses of very solid playing with a healthy dose of keen leadership skills, but then after watching him the past two matches I scratch my head and wonder WTF he is thinking sometimes (or not thinking for that matter). Where was he in the 6-yard box when Ings scored that header last week - I always think of another solid keeper such as De Gea, Cortois, Neuer, etc and in my mind those lads would have been in the air at least TRYING to make something happen. Same thing yesterday - did we really need to concede three (3) goals, or did he simply blow it by diving in the wrong direction coupled with poor judgment on timing?

Bottom line - I like the guy a lot - I want him to succeed (obviously, and for multiple reasons), but I just don't see an increase in ability, judgment, technique, etc - sorry to say that I see a decline, and last season he cost us many goals and that cannot be argued. Should he shoulder all of the blame, and is our defence part of the problem at times? No and yes, respectively, but I hope that RM has some plan on the backburner here since his expiration date is getting closer and a stellar keeper could transform this club to a solid top 4 if the planets start aligning.

What says you?

He couldn't catch a cold and he is more scared of crosses than Dracula........... decent beard though

I like Tim but I'm afraid as a keeper he is so-so. He never fills me with confidence. He is a decent shot stopper but the basic goalkeeping fundamentals have always been lacking. For me his footwork isn't good enough. Doesn't get across his goaline quick enough. The Gerard analfeld goals few seasons ago has a prime example. He doesn't command his six yard box and coming for crosses is a no no. Depending who we get in January I think a striker will be a top priority in the summer but a keeper is a must as well if not then the season after. Butland is the one we should have bought a couple of seasons ago. I still like shmeichal but I've heard good things about Pickford at Sunderland and Bentley at Southend. Two young potentials

Guest Howard's way

perfect example of tim howard. subbuteo player!!!

He's a good shot stopper. so was James and Mongulet... says it all really. i've never seen a keeper as scared to come off his line to command as much as Howard, yet when there is no initial threat he hangs out by the 18 yard area kicking his fucking feet into the crowd, pulling funny faces and re-strapping his gloves again and again.

It drives me nuts that he stays on his line so much, but part of me blames the refs / FA for not stopping this crowding the 6 yard box to prevent a keeper moving. It's blatant obstruction.

Of course, it's not an excuse for him all the time, but I think he doesn't come forward to claim the ball because of traffic in front of him. There should be a rule where no one can stand in the 6 yard box until the ball is kicked. It would add an extra element for sure.

but part of me blames the refs / FA for not stopping this crowding the 6 yard box to prevent a keeper moving. It's blatant obstruction.

Sorry Matt, but this drives me insane.

A goalkeeper will always have a huge advantage in goal. They can use their hands. They can raise their arms. They're at more of an advantage than anyone else on the pitch and they get protected more than any.

MOTD finally picked this up last week, involving an incident with West Brom and Pantillimon.

Pantillimon is 6'8", reach of about 2 foot, excluding his 'leap', is nearly 9 foot.

Berahino at 5'8, not able to reach and including his 'leap of about 2 foot, is under 8 foot. Including his jump.

Pantillimon should have no excuses what so ever for not collecting the ball successfully and cleanly. If there's a guy in the way, charge through him, push him, go around him.

Keepers get it easier than most, as for crowding, so what?

Sorry Matt, but this drives me insane.

A goalkeeper will always have a huge advantage in goal. They can use their hands. They can raise their arms. They're at more of an advantage than anyone else on the pitch and they get protected more than any.

MOTD finally picked this up last week, involving an incident with West Brom and Pantillimon.

Pantillimon is 6'8", reach of about 2 foot, excluding his 'leap', is nearly 9 foot.

Berahino at 5'8, not able to reach and including his 'leap of about 2 foot, is under 8 foot. Including his jump.

Pantillimon should have no excuses what so ever for not collecting the ball successfully and cleanly. If there's a guy in the way, charge through him, push him, go around him.

Keepers get it easier than most, as for crowding, so what?

Blocking a player when not playing the ball is obstruction (slide 29), regardless of whether the keeper can use his hands or not. The uncertainty is because of that second point of the slide I guess. Was Berahino playing the ball in your example? I've not seen it.

They do get protected too much, but that's not what I'm proposing. At the moment, any one who touches them has a freekick given against, and that's just wrong. I'm saying give them space to operate and then treat them as any other player in case of a contest for the ball.

Edited by Matt

Tim is what brought me to Everton, i love him for USA but not lately for Everton. He's past it and we need a new keeper. Sadly Joel doesn't seem to be getting much traction so maybe the likes of Kruul if Newcastle go down or Ospina if we can pry him from Arsenal.

Same for me. I think Tim has some quality left, especially if the only option is Joel. I'm not sure what everyone that wants to replace Tim is asking for. Joel? Someone else?

The US hasn't been able to produce many quality field players, but we do have some history of producing quality keepers. Might be a decent idea to look at Ethan Horvath who is Molde's #1 and apparently been playing pretty well in the Europa league. The guy is only 20 but he'd probably be cheap and have some potential. (Of course, as an American, I'm biased--I want all the best Americans to play for Everton.)

Retire early Tim and do us a favor. Enjoy the nbc gig and save us the trouble.

Way past it and needs to be dropped. I'd rather a young keeper make the same mistakes cause at least they have the ability to learn and improve, tims 37 he should know better by now.

Robles rest of the season for me. Massive hole in the lineup and needs fixed in January or summer.

He is costing us way too many points now and he is without doubt the weak link in our team. Martinez needs to either give Robles a chance or bring in a new keeper in January

He cost us a ton of points last year to. Only person unable to see it, is Martinez unfortunately.

Think since his wife left him, his heads not in the game.