IGNORED

Tim Howard

Howard certainly should have done better there, but I feel the whole defence should do better in handling set pieces, there's not enough organisation going on considering we have experienced players like jags and Barry.

Teams are hitting the ball into the 6 yard box knowing that he is dubious on them.

Compare that to the keepers who come out - pluck the ball and launch a counter attack with a massive throw - night and day.

Some times Robertos man-management skill are fuckin baffling. Tell the lad he's got a chance of being no.1 so he's got something to aim for, not "just this game in a nothing cup". Bizarre!

Nowhere does he rule out Joel starting v Sunderland though, which he could have done.

Nowhere does he rule out Joel starting v Sunderland though, which he could have done.

Not directly, no. But you think he would say this if it was Howard?

Martinez said: “In football you cannot have that long-term ambition, the only ambition has to be as good as you can in the 90 minutes ahead and do whatever it takes to get into the next round,” Martinez said.

The bit in bold is of a particular grade of bullshit that only Martinez can sell....

Dont know how to post link, but Martinez interview in Liverpool Echo

Tim has incredible standards and he can't be happy with the goals we conceded at the weekend (against Arsenal).

“But there's not even a doubt in terms of Tim Howard starting at the weekend.”

Dont know how to post link, but Martinez interview in Liverpool Echo

Tim has incredible standards and he can't be happy with the goals we conceded at the weekend (against Arsenal).

“But there's not even a doubt in terms of Tim Howard starting at the weekend.”

That was only said after the game last night.

Well, I hope Howard appreciates Martinez' loyalty (lunacy) and doesn't fuck up on Sunday, or there'll be many a meltdown.

I'm about half melted down already, as are many others on TT.

I suppose RM's plan is for Howard to remain #1 for EPL matches, with Robles the GK in League and FA cups. I hope, but wonder whether, Roberto will be flexible enough to revise plans if either GK just isn't up to the task.

On second thought, you don't suppose Howard will also be Roberto's choice for FA Cup matches?

Surely RM must be thinking "I'm putting my neck on the line for him here" - then he could also be thinking "how dare they tell me what to do"

Players must be thinking - "ah its ok to make mistakes I won't lose my place"

IF Howard was playing well I would not understand Robles playing last night - for me continuity in goal is key. The reality is he hasn't played well and Robles came in and played well - yet he will get dropped?!

Edited by Hafnia

I'm guessing he has had a conversation with Tim and that he is on his last chance. But again so should Stones.

If jags wasn't injured he should be on that list too.

The three of then have played like school kids for a while now.

agreed with the above in bold. i think he had a come to jesus talk and said this is it tim, either shape up or you're done. i don't agree with that, i think he should have been dropped a few games back, but i think this is the last chance he will give him. plus after Joel's performance the press and fans will be on Howard for any mistake, so the pressure is on.

Surely RM must be thinking "I'm putting my neck on the line for him here" - then he could also be thinking "how dare they tell me what to do"

Players must be thinking - "ah its ok to make mistakes I won't lose my place"

IF Howard was playing well I would not understand Robles playing last night - for me continuity in goal is key. The reality is he hasn't played well and Robles came in and played well - yet he will get dropped?!

If he drops Howard after a poor couple of games, that sends a bad message, too - that players aren't allowed to make mistakes. Also, dropping Howard right now would really smash his confidence. Managers shouldn't make snap decisions based on single games.

I can see Tim Howard keeping his position for the next stretch of games and the situation being reassessed before the holiday period. And, it's very nice to know we have a goalie on the bench who's quite capable of stepping in at any time.

If he drops Howard after a poor couple of games, that sends a bad message, too - that players aren't allowed to make mistakes. Also, dropping Howard right now would really smash his confidence. Managers shouldn't make snap decisions based on single games.

I can see Tim Howard keeping his position for the next stretch of games and the situation being reassessed before the holiday period. And, it's very nice to know we have a goalie on the bench who's quite capable of stepping in at any time.

Howard was poor for the majority of last season and has cost us points this season. Hardly just a couple of bad games.

Howard was poor for the majority of last season and has cost us points this season. Hardly just a couple of bad games.

Agree

His clangers are to costly and some of the mistakes he makes and not taking command of his six yard area is school boy stuff the man's a liability in my eyes

it wasn't like robles was on a free either. we spent the money to invest in him plus wages, just doesn't make sense to not give him a half-full campaign to prove himself. howard can retire to MLS or the commentary booth, no room for sentiment here. while he's at it take ossie hibbo and pienaar with him to retirement lol

Edited by markjazzbassist