IGNORED

Tim Howard

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

By all accounts he was sarcastically applauding the fans.... time to go tim. Don't drop your bags on the way out.

Although I became an Everton fanatic several years before Howard came to Everton, my sense is that he developed into a solid GK, but is clearly solid no longer. But there must be some sense among fans of years of attachment to him, and mutual loyalty, so it will be unfortunate if he and Roberto deny reality, resulting in bad blood between Howard and the fans. I think Roberto must know Howard is coming either to his departure from Everton or to becoming backup, mentor to young GK(s), elder statesman.

I very much prefer that it not end badly, but unless Martinez and Howard make sensible plans, it will.

I've been a staunch defender of him but nothing this season gives me more evidence with which to back up my defence of him. I said before the last window that this summer replacing him is a priority, but that was assuming we had that creative player brought in. To be honest, sod the AMC now, we're desperate for an all round goalkeeper and not a decent shot stopper

He's simply not good enough anymore my confidence in him has continuously dwindled over the last two seasons

His positioning is woeful he doesn't know whether to come out or stick to his line and usually ends up somewhere in between and if its pretty much not hit directly at him he struggles or isn't in a position to make a save in the first place

He's been a good keeper for us on a whole but seems to have got far to comfortable over the years and doesn't have it in him anymore

Ye would have been much better to come out and blame one person for all our troubles.

Stones, Mori, Galloway and Seamus.... Your all doing great this season....just a shame Tims letting you all down.

I was referring more to the fact he is still sticking steadfastly by a keeper who has been absolutely dire for over 18 months now. If I was Robles I would be demanding a transfer because if he cant get a look in when Howard is consistently this bad then he obviously isn't going to make it here

I know. I'm just not in the opinion that he is so bad that's all.

Take Newcastle for Instance, he earnt us a clean sheet...not many people mentioned it.

Against Stoke he dropped a cross but pushed it away from the forward, he then picked it up....a mistake...but the kind you see pretty much every keeper make regularly.

Then he makes a save that keeps us in the game...again..it's Howard so it means nothing.

Then he trusts to push a cross away and misses it, keeps in a good position and thier forward hits it pretty much perfect...bur guess what.....yep you guessed it, it's our shitty goalkeeper.

Yet a possible replacement was on show against us....yep that's the one, the Stoke keeper that conceded three against us.

I just feel that we stopped letting so many efforts come against our keeper it may help him out a bit.

He's by far not the keeper he used to be, but he's also nowhere near as bad as we make out. My issue with him is that he doesn't seem robe able to shout at his defence and get them organised.

Stones is a kid.

Mori is new to the premier.

Coleman is about our most experienced player on the pitch at the moment.

Galloway is a kid.

We need Baines in the team and fit.

We need Jags in the team and fit.

I know. I'm just not in the opinion that he is so bad that's all.

Take Newcastle for Instance, he earnt us a clean sheet...not many people mentioned it.

Against Stoke he dropped a cross but pushed it away from the forward, he then picked it up....a mistake...but the kind you see pretty much every keeper make regularly.

Then he makes a save that keeps us in the game...again..it's Howard so it means nothing.

Then he trusts to push a cross away and misses it, keeps in a good position and thier forward hits it pretty much perfect...bur guess what.....yep you guessed it, it's our shitty goalkeeper.

Yet a possible replacement was on show against us....yep that's the one, the Stoke keeper that conceded three against us.

I just feel that we stopped letting so many efforts come against our keeper it may help him out a bit.

He's by far not the keeper he used to be, but he's also nowhere near as bad as we make out. My issue with him is that he doesn't seem robe able to shout at his defence and get them organised.

Stones is a kid.

Mori is new to the premier.

Coleman is about our most experienced player on the pitch at the moment.

Galloway is a kid.

We need Baines in the team and fit.

We need Jags in the team and fit.

I am not trying to lay the blame solely at Howard's feet. The manager has a lot to answer for and there have been plenty of individual errors from defenders but nobody has cost us as many points as Howard.

Yes our defenders need to do more to stop crosses coming in but once they do Howard has got to command his 6 yard box at a bare minimum but he doesn't he stays stuck to his line like a subbuteo goalkeeper

I genuinely can't remember the last time he made a save that made me think he's good enough to be judged as being better than an average keeper. Possibly the Southampton one from pelle...he's been great but as with all there comes a time to go..He hasn't made me stand up and applaud for a long time..The save against Newcastle was a great one some said...It was a save I'd expect any premier league goalkeeper to make to be honest..I don't know why he's gone so bad because the guy looks as athletic as anyone 10 years younger..

He's been average at BEST, but below that on many occasions. I don't understand anybody that is still defending this guy based on his performances - clearly not watching the same matches as us. The only folks i know that are still defending him are some yanks just based on the fact that he's an American, or others pointing to his brilliant world cup performance against Belgium.His saves from the past 6 or so matches have been standard saves that are required as marcopaulo says above.

What irks me is that RM keeps yapping that he is really important to organize our defence and become a leader of sorts in Jags absence. Well, according to the matches I have been watching, our defence has been a shambles or total dogshit shipping WAY TOO many goals, so where is this 'gold embroidered' defence leadership that he speaks of? 7 goals shipped in the past 3 matches? The defence has arguably lost our matches, so obviously his leadership skills aren't working, are they? How is Martinez blind to this fact? Or is he?

Persistence with Tim Howard is still Martinez's biggest downfall

JS79414647.jpg

LIVERPOOL, ENGLAND - DECEMBER 28: Joselu of Stoke City (obscured) scores his team's third goal past Tim Howard (1st L) of Everton during the Barclays Premier League match between Everton and Stoke City at Goodison Park on December 28, 2015 in Liverpool, England. (Photo by Dave Thompson/Getty Images)

Having flipped the game on its head in the second half to lead 3-2, I genuinely started to believe that a corner was about to be turned with our first back-to-back wins of the season.

And then the pivotal moment of the match arrived as the consistently error-prone Tim Howard flapped at a cross to allow the visitors a route back into a match that had slipped away from them.

Our defensive woes run deeper than the man between the sticks, but Roberto Martinez’s unwavering loyalty and insistence on keeping the American in the side remains his biggest downfall.

It’s baffling to think that he’ll put his trust in Joel Robles for two huge matches against Man City next month in the semi-final of the League Cup, but is not prepared to give him a run of Premier League games when our current stopper is gifting goals for fun.

Read more: Rio Ferdinand jumps to defence of Everton's John Stones after performance against Stoke

If he still doesn’t believe Robles is a better option than Howard at this stage of the campaign, then he never will.

Another thing that baffles me is that the manager has assembled a side whose attacking quality is capable of hurting any team and has a striker scoring for fun. It’s the hardest thing to crack in football – just ask Man United.

But he’s allowing that good work to be undone by continuing to ignore the frailties in our defensive set-up.

We badly miss the experience and leadership of Phil Jagielka – Stones’s form taking the biggest hit during the captain’s spell on the sidelines.

But the manager has done nothing to ease the burden or remedy that loss. We play far too open despite having what would appear to be six defensive outfield positions on the team sheet.

Edited by chalkpie

We miss the leadership of Jagielka like we do the height of Baines. The man is a flump, never protects his teammates, never takes the yellow. A player who goes to ground that often obviously doesn't know how to position himself, just see the amount of own goals. Wouldn't mind as much if he covered for his partner, but he absolutely bottles it. Only looks out for his own reputation.

Absolute joke that Moyes took it on himself to name the next manager's captain.

As an American i love Tim Howard as much as anyone. Absolute hero who has truly changed the path of US Soccer.

He is not good enough to be the GK of Everton Football Club any longer. Father Time defeats all and his time has come.

Need a new GK in January because im afraid Robles is just slightly better and certainly still causes nerves every time a ball heads in his direction.

As an American i love Tim Howard as much as anyone. Absolute hero who has truly changed the path of US Soccer.

He is not good enough to be the GK of Everton Football Club any longer. Father Time defeats all and his time has come.

Need a new GK in January because im afraid Robles is just slightly better and certainly still causes nerves every time a ball heads in his direction.

I'm American too and I've been critical of the play of Howard as well, passports have nothing to do with it. I just want what's best for Everton.

Not quite so sure how much he's changed the path of US Soccer, a couple of guys named Friedel and Keller were pretty good as well, (both better really, at least Friedel)

Robles might not be much better but perhaps with a run of games to get sorted out he'll come good, he's got more upside at this point in his career I think.

Come on you Blues!!!

We miss the leadership of Jagielka like we do the height of Baines. The man is a flump, never protects his teammates, never takes the yellow. A player who goes to ground that often obviously doesn't know how to position himself, just see the amount of own goals. Wouldn't mind as much if he covered for his partner, but he absolutely bottles it. Only looks out for his own reputation.

Ha ha everyone is entitled to their opinion but I'm so glad you aren't our manager

He's a very good defender, don't agree with your comment. Very good bread and butter player who wins so many of his personal duels.

The second before the cross came in I was screaming at coleman to close the man. There is a point here. Yes I actually think howard is shot but let's not erase others mistakes too.

Totally agree we need to more to stops the crosses in the first place but it doesn't change the fact Howard should be commanding his six yard box better, after all you cant stop the cross coming in from a set piece

Guest rusty747

Robles has earmed a shot at the number one 'keeper position. Give him a run of games. If it doesn't work out then we can buy big in the summer, Howard can go to MLS and Robles can either be the number two or also go.

Assuming we don't get Marshall from Cardiff in Jan window of course.

Bottom line is there is no confidence in the back five, either amongst the back five or from the fans and it has to be fixed soonest.

Someone remind me; is his contract up at the end of this season, or the one following? I'm crossing everything in hope that, at the very least, this will be his last season with us. Sorry Tim.

Crossing anything is dangerous where Howard is concerned, he is more afraid of crosses than Count Dracula