IGNORED

Tim Howard

If he drops Howard after a poor couple of games, that sends a bad message, too - that players aren't allowed to make mistakes. Also, dropping Howard right now would really smash his confidence. Managers shouldn't make snap decisions based on single games.

Really man? These are grown men (who are multi-millionaires BTW) who need to be mature enough to realize that if they suck shit on the pitch (as Howard has been exemplifying), then thy need to sit it out, dwell, work harder, and come to grips with their current form.

Worrying about Howard's feelings over the well-being of this club is just flat out silly and ridiculous. Also, this is NOT a new scenario - he has arguably cost us many matches last season, and we are now starting to witness a repeat of 14-15.

Martinez is too soft on these sort of issues - do you think Sir Alex would be worrying if Howard is upset or not? That is part of the reason he was an incredibly successful manager - these decisions can make or break seasons.

Edited by chalkpie

Worrying about Howard's feelings over the well-being of this club is just flat out silly and ridiculous. Also, this is NOT a new scenario - he has arguably cost us many matches last season, and we are now starting to witness a repeat of 14-15.

I didn't say anything about Howard's feelings; instead, I referred to his confidence. Watching any sport for years, you ought to know that momentum, confidence, and other intangibles count for a lot. When confidence is shot, for example, players tend to play it more safe - which is often counter-productive.

If you're talking confidence, then you need to look at Robles as well. What reaction does he have knowing he kicked some arse yesterday only to be immediately benched again? In my opinion, this action is akin to benching Naisy directly following his hat trick against Chelsea - I'm very glad that didn't happen. For that matter, how did Joel feel last season when he kept three (3) clean sheets in a row only to be immediately by benched again when Howard came back from injury? I totally get that TH is still the number one, but RM needs to start thinking of the future as well here - Tim is clearly on his way out - that cannot be disputed - based on age and performance. Maybe one more full season left? Then what? Robles did a great job yesterday, as well as keeping three clean sheets last season - what more does RM need/want from Robles? Bottom line is that if we are worried about confidence levels right now, I think Robles might feel he just got a kick in the teeth.

When you look at the goals we have conceded against Liverpool, United, and Arsenal, you see a pattern. My prediction for the Sunderland match was a loss 2-3, just based on the trend of our goalkeeper along with some shoddy defending. The goals we have conceded have not exactly been superb strikes a la Messi or Ronaldo.

Martinez on Howard's criticism: "His role on the pitch is much more important than his individual performance"

Again, what does that mean? He talks so much shite at times. Is he saying I don't care if he makes 2/3 mistakes a game (individual performance) but he's 36, experienced and therefore has a huge input on our younger lads??

Again, this is utter bullshit.

Edited by Geth

if it was one mistake, even a handful, I agree. But it's just not, and when you've got a player showing form instead, that player should be given the same opportunity; play them until the mistakes require a change.

Sorry, Roberto, this is just bad management.

Martinez on Howard's criticism: "His role on the pitch is much more important than his individual performance"

Again, what does that mean? He talks so much shite at times. Is he saying I don't care if he makes 2/3 mistakes a game (individual performance) but he's 36, experienced and therefore has a huge input on our younger lads??

Again, this is utter bullshit.

May be he meticulously repairs all the divots in the penalty areas.

The other bizarre thing is that he talks about wanting ":experience" in the back (Jags, Howard, etc)......well guess who gave away some shit balls and cost us goals over the past few matches? I love Jags but does experience override errors, therefore costing us points? Its a flawed policy and it really means nothing, because you could have all young lads in the back (Stones, Galloway, Joel) and no doubt keep a clean sheet, or close to it, yet have little "experience".

I gotta say this - Mourinho is a total clown these days in so many ways - but at least he has the balls to pull out his supposed stars like Hazard, Terry when they play like shit. Experience is a non starter in some cases, but Martinez is SO damn inflexible at times. How many shit games did Barry have last season yet graced us with his supposed invaluable "experience"?

Go ahead Howard, make us all eat crow and start defending for once.

I'm one of Martinez' biggest backers, and obviously I like Howard because he plays for the USA, but Howard doesn't deserve to be the number 1 anymore sadly. I just don't understand what Martinez is really trying to do.

We really don't know that Joel is any better than Howard, but Joel has earned it -- mainly through good play but also because of Howard's ability dropping.

Edited by TonkaRoost

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11671/10051094/tim-howard-everton-goalkeeper-not-shaken-by-critics

Being good in the past doesn't mean being at fault now doesn't matter.

He comes across as an arrogant prick in that interview.

'Body of work' speaks for itself?! Who does he think he is? David Bowie.

His legs have gone, as simple as that.

He comes across as an arrogant prick in that interview.

'Body of work' speaks for itself?! Who does he think he is? David Bowie.

His legs have gone, as simple as that.

Not only that, but what is he actually saying there? Its all fluff, no substance. No mention of accountability or wanting to try harder for the good of the team. I am pretty much finished with this guy at this point. He alludes to the fact that the "hard" teams have come and gone, and now is the easy part ("We played all the top teams...."). Let's see what happens when he faces chaps like Vardy, Mahrez, Payet, etc. I'm sure that's gonna be a cakewalk.

Edited by chalkpie

Lol haf one of your better zingers on here.

I'm all for confidence and mental strength but FFS he has cost us 5 points already this season and as chalk says there is no sign of apology.

Under a manager like SAF he would get fucked off.

I've been a big supporter of Tims but for me his attitude has been questionable. I particularly thought his approach to the national team was poor. "I'm ready to play for you again, give me the number 1, thanks"

I'm all for confidence and mental strength but FFS he has cost us 5 points already this season and as chalk says there is no sign of apology.

Under a manager like SAF he would get fucked off.

I've been a big supporter of Tims but for me his attitude has been questionable. I particularly thought his approach to the national team was poor. "I'm ready to play for you again, give me the number 1, thanks"

He was already under SAF and was fucked off that's why we have him.

Honestly an injury to him wouldn't be the worst

Thing in the world.

I know he's had a rough 12 months but considering the time he has served us he deserves a lot more respect than he is getting. Some of the comments coming out here and are Twatter are really pissing me off.

Fed up of him playing? Blame the manager for being too gutless to drop a senior player who's not up to it anymore.