IGNORED

Tim Howard

Does that mean I'm no longer the only one one putting the majority of the blame on him?

(Still not suggesting Stones is blameless)

I've not had the benefit of seeing it on TV yet but at the time I definitely put the blame at Howard's doorstep and judging by the abuse he was getting from the crowd I I think it's fair to say that was the general consensus of the Gwladys Street

The club wasv lazy sticking with him. He was an average prem keeper, and we never actively searched for someone better. Imagine if we had a keeper like Martyn or Southall in goal this season.

Howard, has single handidly cost us 3/4 games. Potentially an additional 8 points? Arguable but possible based on performances and game outcomes.

Does that mean I'm no longer the only one one putting the majority of the blame on him?

(Still not suggesting Stones is blameless)

I put the majority of the blame on him as well. Said ayew was the only one in the box and only one anywhere near that ball. He should have come out sooner and just grabbed the ball. No other Swansea players in sight because they figured it was going to be a kick.

I've not had the benefit of seeing it on TV yet but at the time I definitely put the blame at Howard's doorstep and judging by the abuse he was getting from the crowd I I think it's fair to say that was the general consensus of the Gwladys Street

The passback was on easier earlier, stones being stones never took the option till it was the only option. Ayew knew and anticipated.

People don't want to blame stones. Simple as that. A good keeper would have dealt with it, but stones made the situation.

He did something similar later. Instead of putting his foot through it he passed to a player and put him in trouble. Fuckin scandalous.

The passback was on easier earlier, stones being stones never took the option till it was the only option. Ayew knew and anticipated.

People don't want to blame stones. Simple as that. A good keeper would have dealt with it, but stones made the situation.

He did something similar later. Instead of putting his foot through it he passed to a player and put him in trouble. Fuckin scandalous.

I don't think anybody is absolving Stones of any blame, he should never have put the keeper in that situation, but the bottom line is that Howard had to do better

I'm more than happy to blame him if I think it's his fault; in this instance I don't think it was, though he wasn't blameless as I've already said.

I'm no "bandwagon jumper" or "favourite can do no wrong" merchant, just call it as I see it.

Fact is, as I've said before, Howard was unaccountably backing away from Stones when the pass was played (admittedly Stones should have dealt with it earlier) thereby giving Ayew more space to intercept and meaning Tim had to change his momentum to get there. Had he anticipated the pass he'd have got to the ball ahead of Ayew; reports are saying that Stones' pass was "underhit" but it wouldn't have been if Howard had stood his ground or moved forward.

That's how I saw it and no amount of discussion will change my mind, my lad agrees with me for what it's worth :).

For me he allowed his arrogance to over rule his pride and grace.

Rather than hold his hands up and say "you know what, that's not good enough" he has decided to quote history. A very defensive approach which placed his ego above that of the team.

I was completely full of admiration for Gary Neville and the way he quickly realised that his level was not good enough after 1 or 2 games of finding his legs had gone. No bitching, no fishing for compliments, just "that's it folks".

Tim will be remembered for the wrong reasons, unfortunately. He was a solid keeper for us but the past 18 months have been torrid.

Fully agree with all of that

I think you are being incredibly generous there

I had to be because I couldn't remember all the details. There were far too many and should someone have asked me for examples of them all, I'd be scuppered :lol:

But you're right. It's possibly more.

Edited by Lowensda

I know this is naughty, from GOT.

https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/attachments/image-png.17395/

https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/attachments/image-png.17396/

Howard doesn't move toward the ball at all. During the entire length of the pass back. More I see it, the more I look at Tim as the one most at fault.

If he'd had dived at it, with his hand, he may have been able to get a touch on the ball or at worst, convinced the ref he covered the ball before the player makes contact. Either way, the fact he went to kick it SOO late, shows how inept he is at decision making.

Edited by Lowensda

I was just as confused as Tim looked when Stones stood there for what seemed like a year and then played that pass towards him. Tim should have reacted faster, yes. That situation should have never happened in the first place, though. There were several things Stones could have done, and he could have done them all faster than what he eventually did. Stones should take the blame for forcing the situation that transpired. Tim should take blame for not dealing with it immediately.

Our biggest problem was on display in that moment though: nobody knows what their responsibilities are. Nobody is grilling them with contingency plans of any sort. We don't even know how to defend as a unit. When strange situations arise, we either get saved by a miraculous stroke of luck/immense individual effort or we fall apart in the most sublimely inexplicable way.

So, 33.3% Tim, 33.3% Stones, 33.3% coaching and 0.1% Haf, just because I like to see him get riled up.

Edited by JoeQuince

I would like to think that Robles would have dealt with it otherwise we desperately need to find 2 new keepers in the summer

Id like to think Robles would have dealt with it and then walked over stones and said something like:-

"Oi you arrogant prick, stop putting your team mates in shit because you are giving them a hot potato to deal with. We all know you are trying to prove how amazingly composed you are but to be honest you are starting to look like a cocky prick. You may get you big move, till then get a grip and stop giving the fans daggers"

Id like to think Robles would have dealt with it and then walked over stones and said something like:-

"Oi you arrogant prick, stop putting your team mates in shit because you are giving them a hot potato to deal with. We all know you are trying to prove how amazingly composed you are but to be honest you are starting to look like a cocky prick. You may get you big move, till then get a grip and stop giving the fans daggers"

Good job John has been learning Spanish.

Stones should never have been in the situation where he needed to pass it back to Howard. It was poncing about instead of clearing it upfield that caused the problem. Stones fault 100%. Stones seems to think that 'hoofing it' is beneath him. There are times (and this was one) where you have to hoof it.

Whilst I agree with what you are getting it I am just not having it that Howard was totally blameless