IGNORED

Middlesbrough - League Cup Quarter final

MikeO

We won and didn't concede! Other than the header just over the bar they didn't have any othe effort of note.

Go out and play like that against any Premier league team and we would concede.

That performance 2nd half was only slightly better that Saturday.

Semi final now so will take that as the positive.

Agreed - Middlesbourgh are a good team. Good defensive record especially at home and they knocked Man U out last round and most people are whinging like little children at a 2-0 win. I'd of loved for this forum to have been around in the early 90s when there really was a lot to moan about!

i'm happy with you barry. big victory and a semi is a real reason to be upbeat. hope for a home draw and not man city tomorrow and i'll be even more upbeat :)

glad rom and gerry are continuting to rack up points, Rom might have his highest goals ever this year.

Go out and play like that against any Premier league team and we would concede.

That performance 2nd half was only slightly better that Saturday.

Semi final now so will take that as the positive.

but we weren't playing a PL team. We were playing a confident team doing well in their league with an impeccable home record and we played it right; decent pace, some genius from someone special then killed the game off. Boring? Yes. Would we apply it to a PL team? Well, we bloody well should've done at the weekend.

Clean sheet to go towards remedying the weekend. Away from home, which were shit at, didn't have to concede to step up, and into a semi final of a cup were shit in.

Sorry, but I won't be worrying about "what ifs" tonight. Good result against a decent team, stop moaning :shaking fist:

Edited by Matt

Job done for me.

Looking forward to what should be a real open game against palace. I'm sure there will be alot of debate over Robles/Howard and Galloway/Baines.

No point having the Howard/Robles debate because we know that's a closed shop.

Baines must come in for Galloway though. He was caught out a fair amount tonight again.

No point having the Howard/Robles debate because we know that's a closed shop.

Baines must come in for Galloway though. He was caught out a fair amount tonight again.

It is a shame, now that fans have a bit of faith in Robles - and he knows it, he looks a much more reliable player.

Had time away, still not happy. We improved when we felt injustice over baines yellow card.

Far too nice, against a decent team we would have conceded.

A few points...

Barkley and Stones, get your heads out your arse, you aren't too good to play championship teams. Over confident, over elaborating.

Roberto, pedestrian "arrogant" football is what seen us concede 3 against Bournemouth. Don't insult the fans.

I thought we were shit if I'm honest bar a couple of moments of individual brilliance. Other than that their keeper had nothing to do.

Had time away, still not happy. We improved when we felt injustice over baines yellow card.

Far too nice, against a decent team we would have conceded.

A few points...

Barkley and Stones, get your heads out your arse, you aren't too good to play championship teams. Over confident, over elaborating.

Roberto, pedestrian "arrogant" football is what seen us concede 3 against Bournemouth. Don't insult the fans.

I thought we were shit if I'm honest bar a couple of moments of individual brilliance. Other than that their keeper had nothing to do.

thought Stones was very good tonight :huh:

Stones "absolutely imperious" according to Pat Nevin. Each to their own.

I think he is getting rave reviews without deserving them at the moment. No where near his level tonight.

Caught ball watching for the header that went just over the bar, massive fan of his but I think he needs to fully focus.

Semi?

Ideally for me Southampton beat Liverpool tomorrow and we draw them, first leg at St Mary's.

Good to be close to the final but as I've said every round, we'll lose (reverse psychology working so far, if we win the thing it'll all be down to me :happy:).

I know loads of our fans want to face the shite but I'd give everything to avoid them, with them preferably getting knocked out tonight like you say. We have a mental block against them for sure.

Guest rusty747

He has an 83% pass completion rate over all of his appearances? Non story Patto. Jagielka has 82% in comparison. Stats don't lie

Yes they do lie. When Jags loses the ball it is usually after a long punt into the opponents half and there is no immediate threat to our goal and we have time to set up defensively. When Stones loses the ball it is more likely to be after some fancy tippy tappy stuff on the edge of (or even inside) our own box.

The consequences of those stats are very different.

Without Deulefeu and Lukaku we would have battled to win last night.

Good win but Why do we have to play so utterly negatively after scoring 2 ?

Second half was most boring - Bournemouth would have done better.

Fans pay to be entertained - highly paid players can't just switch off halfway through a game.

Yes they do lie. When Jags loses the ball it is usually after a long punt into the opponents half and there is no immediate threat to our goal and we have time to set up defensively. When Stones loses the ball it is more likely to be after some fancy tippy tappy stuff on the edge of (or even inside) our own box.

The consequences of those stats are very different.

What absolute drivel. I could understand if he constantly gave the ball away near our 18 yard box but he doesn't. On top of that he's made no defensive errors so far (squawka stats) - yet this is something to be expected from any centre half in world football. It happens.

Both Jagielka and Mori like a punt up field.... No idea where it's come from that he can't pass. He's been great and 83% is no better or worse than the majority of the squad.

People need to stop looking for faults, for me he's looking like a regular already.

I think mori has been one of the signings of the premier league this season. £9.5 mill may have raised a few eyebrows but I've got a feeling a good chunk of that went to agents. I think the fact that he is partnering stones and he feels he wants to play the same way he sometimes forces a pass. Last night he misplaced a few and he needs to get back to basics

I think mori has been one of the signings of the premier league this season. £9.5 mill may have raised a few eyebrows but I've got a feeling a good chunk of that went to agents. I think the fact that he is partnering stones and he feels he wants to play the same way he sometimes forces a pass. Last night he misplaced a few and he needs to get back to basics

agreed he's been a really great signing. for such a big attacking guy RM sure has an eye for Centrebacks. Mori, holgate, foulds, etc.

Last night is the only time I've noticed his passing being particularly poor. I don't think it's a problem myself.

I think it had more to do with the game plan than him being a poor passer. Jags mentioned Roberto's instructions were to keep the ball, as Middlesbrough aren't used to playing sides that do that. My guess is that Mori had this in mind when he tried to squeeze potentially dangerous passes to keep possession when the better thing to do was punt it upfield. It shows a lack of judgment, but that should improve with some time. He's relatively young, a late bloomer, and new to our team and league. His decision-making skills and reading of the game should improve.