IGNORED

Sense of excitement building

Can you feel it, too? More and more people are beginning to realize just how strong is the young core of our team: a really talented group of players who could feasibly stay together for several years, with another wave coming along behind them. I just read the report about Conor Grant, and it mentions Felipe Mattioni, whom I must have forgotten. Yet another talented youngster to add to the current crop. Tom Cleverley just stated that nothing can stop Everton securing a spot this season in Europe. Players are beginning to gel and enter a good run of form.

Of course, it only takes one disappointing loss to bring us back to earth with a bump, but I really do think that, as we dream about the potential of this team, the excitement will continue to build. It will be interesting to read whether those attending matches at Goodison sense the same thing among the crowds there.

(Sorry. Had to edit because I kant spill.)

Edited by Cornish Steve

Mattioni isn't a youngster, he's 27/28. He signed for us a few weeks ago on a free transfer.

Apart from that, I agree. Hopefully we can keep them together but there's not a lot of patience in football, so if we don't get CL football at least 1 will go this summer.

Edited by Romey 1878

Mattioni isn't a youngster, he's 27/28. He signed for us a few weeks ago on a free transfer.

Apart from that, I agree. Hopefully we can keep them together but there's not a lot of patience in football, so if we don't get CL football at least 1 will go this summer.

Ah. I missed that completely about Mattioni. Still, he sounds like another solid addition, albeit not a youngster.

My excitement is that something is gonna get done at corporate level. How many storms can they weather.

On the playing front I have been a big Martinez fan for a while. Some things he does pisses me off but I believe he has a plan, a continuous plan that will see us not carry penknives to gun fights but hand grenades.

Although I agree our core is fantastic, I am excited about this team, we need better results against the teams around us. Man city, Man, U and Arsenal swept us off the park and we've drawn with every team around us bar Southhampton. Once start getting good results against a few more teams in the top half, then we will be a top 4 team. It's not impossible though.

I had a sense of excitement in Martinez first season when we were turning over the top sides and sitting in the top 4 at Christmas - that was excitement. This season is all too meh! I have absolutely no idea why anyone else would? There's a sense of "hope" for the future but the immediate feeling can only be described as "inconsistant"

I had a sense of excitement in Martinez first season when we were turning over the top sides and sitting in the top 4 at Christmas - that was excitement. This season is all too meh! I have absolutely no idea why anyone else would? There's a sense of "hope" for the future but the immediate feeling can only be described as "inconsistant"

We have a run of games that are completely winnable and would put us top 4. That's the optimism, we went through the the gauntlet unscathed and are ready to attack. Plus were in the quarter final of a cup with another cup still to come. Lot of positive in the horizon.

For me it's all the youth and scouting. I'm blown away by Roberto and the scouting department. With moyes we had great scouts but now with actually playing youngsters regularly it's like we are a top destination for young talent. They want to come here.

Transfers have been solid too. Gerry romelu Barry McCarthy Kone Mori etc

Guest rusty747

If we can keep adding some steel, bite and leadership to the skill that is undoubtedly there, then I do think we could be on the cusp of a major leap forward.

Confidence is key, and that comes from results. In that regard, the Bournemouth game is an deal yardstick to see how we deal with the favourites tag in an away game that actually isn't as easy as some would have you believe.

In short, the Bournemouth game is important. We need a professional performance and three points.

Liecester City sit proudly on top of the league, whilst Chelsea flounder.Man City drop points to Villa, a team we made look almost non-league.

We've got a very good squad, if we don't play too much 'tip tap' crap across the middle of the pitch we have a good chance of doing something this season form and injuries permiting, so yes I'm pretty excited about this season at the moment.

In Stones and Lukaku we have two of the best young talents in world football, can we keep them, probably not !

Agreed, yet my concern is Howard. He has cost us points and matches both this year and last year, and unless we get somebody who is a f***ing solid rock back there, there will be balls flying into the back of our net. In fairness, he has had some decent games very recently, but he has also had some shite matches. He really worries me and I cringe every time there is either a cross or corner. So while we see some big progress in most other areas, we are still VERY vulnerable at the back.

But yes, the potential of this team is huge. Night and day from last season - I think Geri has infused some life and energy into this team, and the other lads (Mirallas notwithstanding) are all generlly playing well. There is a directness and attacking quality that was missing from last year - I think Martinez wised up and put his pride and ego aside in many ways.

COYB's!!!

In Stones and Lukaku we have two of the best young talents in world football, can we keep them, probably not !

Well that's the shitty part. How does this team ever expect to transform itself into one of the top 4 or 5 of the PL if we keep losing our best players? Is Everton always going to be regarded as a decent mid-table club? If we make it into the CL for a few seasons, would that heighten the appeal of this club to want to make our best lads stay, or are we just a "temporary" stepping stone? Its a bit frustrating when you look at the outlook of guys like Stones, Geru, Rom, Barkley, etc

Days like today should bring people crashing back down to reality.

Bournemouth are a poor side and we made them look like Barcelona in the second half. It was really poor game management. We were in total control and should have gone on to get 4 or 5 but instead we took our foot off the gas and invited them back into the game

If this had happened under Moyes there would have been a major melt down in here

Bournemouth are a poor side and we made them look like Barcelona in the second half. It was really poor game management. We were in total control and should have gone on to get 4 or 5 but instead we took our foot off the gas and invited them back into the game

If this had happened under Moyes there would have been a major melt down in here

You mean like going 1-0 up against a shit Liverpool team in the FA Cup semi final and bottling it? I think we did melt down.

You mean like going 1-0 up against a shit Liverpool team in the FA Cup semi final and bottling it? I think we did melt down.

This was a completely different scenario, yes we choked against The Shite but this was all about game management.

We did turn up for this game and we had it won , which makes it even more galling

I also think there is a massive difference between being out played by Liverpool and being out played by Bournemouth but yes it was every bit as annoying as that and IMO not enough of the spotlight is on Martinez

Edited by duncanmckenzieismagic

This was a completely different scenario, yes we choked against The Shite but this was all about game management.

We did turn up for this game and we had it won , which makes it even more galling

I also think there is a massive difference between being out played by Liverpool and being out played by Bournemouth but yes it was every bit as annoying as that and IMO not enough of the spotlight is on Martinez

So... we need to be 2-0 up against a 'so called' top side and draw? I'm not excusing Martinez today as I support Everton - not the manager, chairman,CEO, so yes he can fuck off for todays let down.

As for moyes... Would you want him back???

It's not even the first time we've done it this season, which shows the players and manager aren't learning. We did it against Sunderland and had to beat them twice. We even took our foot off the pedal against Villa, it's just that they're so shite they couldn't do a thing.

We played the second half yesterday like we thought we'd already won it. It's not acceptable and it's why we're so inconsistent this season. Fuck, we still haven't managed to win 2 league games in a row this season!

Guest rusty747

If we can keep adding some steel, bite and leadership to the skill that is undoubtedly there, then I do think we could be on the cusp of a major leap forward.

Confidence is key, and that comes from results. In that regard, the Bournemouth game is an deal yardstick to see how we deal with the favourites tag in an away game that actually isn't as easy as some would have you believe.

In short, the Bournemouth game is important. We need a professional performance and three points.

We failed.

Carry on like that and we will be lucky to finish in the top half. Given the talent in the squad, that would be criminal. Given the way Martinez manages that talent, it would not be a surprise.

The game against Boro is massive now, we don't have the consistency to finish in the top 6 let alone top 4.

We need this cup and I'm very worried we are going to throw it away, by picking a second string team.

Martinez needs a kick up the back side, this is the best squad we've had in a long time and he's wasting it.

Probably the wrong thread for this post, sorry.

• 2 weeks later...