IGNORED

US Politics/Biden Presidency (Trump-free zone)

johnh

1 hour ago, Matt said:

I don’t understand why people are shocked. Drumpf has spent 4 years expanding the divide. This was inevitable and I’ll say again what I said before he won the last time; he’ll get 2 terms and try changing things for a 3rd term 

I think people are just shocked that it's come this far rather than the potential result of the election. Issues have escalated rapidly in the last 5-6 years. 

2 minutes ago, Sibdane said:

I think people are just shocked that it's come this far rather than the potential result of the election. Issues have escalated rapidly in the last 5-6 years. 

They have, by design, which is why I don’t see why people are shocked or surprised 

3 hours ago, Matt said:

I don’t understand why people are shocked. Drumpf has spent 4 years expanding the divide. This was inevitable and I’ll say again what I said before he won the last time; he’ll get 2 terms and try changing things for a 3rd term 

I said to the wife that it wouldn't surprise me if he tried to run for a 3rd term, as unthinkable as that would be. 

As I said earlier, I pay little to zero attention to politics but as far as I understand Biden is winning but the state's not yet counted, Trump is looking likely to win and will therefore win overall?

56 minutes ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

I said to the wife that it wouldn't surprise me if he tried to run for a 3rd term, as unthinkable as that would be. 

As I said earlier, I pay little to zero attention to politics but as far as I understand Biden is winning but the state's not yet counted, Trump is looking likely to win and will therefore win overall?

It's all just a clusterfuck right now. Nevada saying they won't finish counting all of their ballots till Thursday, a vote-counting machine in Wisconsin running out of ink, Drumpf coming out and saying he won already and that votes should stop being counted. Honestly, burn this country to the ground and start over. 

Phew, glad I got that out. Woke up this morning feeling a little more hopeful. Biden has taken a slight lead in Wisconsin, he still trails in Pennsylvania and Michigan, but with a large portion of heavily democratic areas having not fully reported yet, and he's still in with a shout in Georgia. 

Unfortunately the Senate isn't looking too good right now. We need to flip 3 more seats and it's looking unlikely. 

20 minutes ago, dunlopp9987 said:

It's all just a clusterfuck right now. Nevada saying they won't finish counting all of their ballots till Thursday, a vote-counting machine in Wisconsin running out of ink, Drumpf coming out and saying he won already and that votes should stop being counted. Honestly, burn this country to the ground and start over. 

Phew, glad I got that out. Woke up this morning feeling a little more hopeful. Biden has taken a slight lead in Wisconsin, he still trails in Pennsylvania and Michigan, but with a large portion of heavily democratic areas having not fully reported yet, and he's still in with a shout in Georgia. 

Unfortunately the Senate isn't looking too good right now. We need to flip 3 more seats and it's looking unlikely. 

Same here. There's still a chance. 

When I woke up this morning the psychotic narcissist blob was slight favourite to win with the bookies (OK so pretty meaningless a lot of the time) but now Biden is 1/4 with aforementioned throwback 3/1.

Considering whacking £1000 on the legend in his own mind to soften the blow if the worst happens (well I would be if I gambled but I don't).

9 hours ago, dunlopp9987 said:

It's uh....it's not looking good. We still might not know by tomorrow, but right now it's looking bleak. And I also don't see the Senate flipping. 

Honestly at this point, how am I shocked by this. We have an openly white supremacist in office, in a country built upon and continuing to further white supremacy. This shouldn't be shocking anymore.

the Senate not flipping would mean Biden wouldn't get anything done till the mid-terms when they would have to vote the Repubs out (if they could).  Then it makes Biden look like he didn't do anything when it's all the Repubs fault for just blocking everything.

5 hours ago, Sibdane said:

Currently praying that PA and one of the other swing states currently red will flip to blue. We also have to keep hold of Nevada... but yeah, it's not looking too great. It's also likely that Biden wins the popular vote which makes this even harder to take. 

I could see this coming, but I'm still shocked.

Biden will win the popular vote.  The only ones who like the Electoral college are repubs and rural states because they are worth something, whereas the popular vote they wouldn't even be visited by candidates.  

i'm hoping Biden wins NV, WI, and MI, then he won.  The senate will be repub but hopefully they can put pressure on them or work with them to get some stuff done until mid-terms to try and get rid of them repubs.  just get rid of trump.

8 hours ago, Matt said:

he’ll get 2 terms and try changing things for a 3rd term 

Will he live that long? He’s determined not to go even if he loses, for the Yanks who is responsible for making sure he leaves the White House if he loses, and will he still be in command of the forces if he refuses to acknowledge the result.

45 minutes ago, Palfy said:

There’s been more postal votes from Democrats, because they are more responsible when it comes to Covid, Trump doesn’t understand or except that so he calls it fraud, if he showed the respect to Covid which it deserved then he could be leading this. 

spot on.  it looks like now Biden might win this.  He doesn't need Pennsylvania, just Nevada, Arizona, Wisconsin and Michigan.

4 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

What's the views on the economic abilities of the candidates?

As a human biden wins hands down.  Someone mentioned that for the UK it could be key that trump gets in because he will help the financial recovery. 

Hard to exactly know what will happen if Republicans retain control of the Senate. I work for a large corporation that deals a lot of exports, specifically to China, so Trump has hurt that. Biden would probably open trade up more as he seems to be more free trade-minded; however, he would probably try to raise corporate taxes whereas Trump has lowered them. 

26 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

As a human biden wins hands down.  Someone mentioned that for the UK it could be key that trump gets in because he will help the financial recovery. 

the article below says all you need to know about biden, he's a strong catholic and a decent human being.  he is pro free trade and a career politician who has friends on BOTH sides of the aisle (Repub John McCain was his best friend).  he's a "get it done" kind of guy who is more centrist than anything.

https://www.npr.org/2018/03/17/594421324/joe-biden-and-a-homeless-veteran-have-a-very-human-moment

49 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

the article below says all you need to know about biden, he's a strong catholic and a decent human being.  he is pro free trade and a career politician who has friends on BOTH sides of the aisle (Repub John McCain was his best friend).  he's a "get it done" kind of guy who is more centrist than anything.

https://www.npr.org/2018/03/17/594421324/joe-biden-and-a-homeless-veteran-have-a-very-human-moment

Cheers MJB

1 hour ago, Hafnia said:

Very much a secondary consideration in my opinion (not that my opinion counts). Most important...

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/oct/26/world-climate-crossroads-trump-biden-different-directions

I think there are “officially” 5 states still in play: North Carolina, Georgia, Arizona, Nevada, and Pennsylvania.

1. NC - Trump highly likely to win.

2. Of the other 4, Arizona has already been “called” for Biden, but there are still enough uncounted ballots that Trump still has a small chance.

3. Of those other 4, Biden needs to win any 2.  Thus, Trump needs to win any 3.  Of the 4, as the ballot-counting continues, Biden is favored to win Arizona, Nevada, and Pennsylvania.  Georgia is thought to be a toss-up.

4. So, Biden very likely but not 100% certain to win.

5. Trump will hope to drag this out for weeks through “legal” (often frivolous and desperate) challenges in close states.  He will hope to cause chaos.  He cares nothing about his country or about democracy.  He is a fascist madman.  We’ve experienced nothing like his sociopathy in American political history, at least at the national level.  Nothing even close.  Trump’s win in 2016 was a World Historical Mistake.  Around 65 million Americans voted for him this time, most of them for a second time.

Edit — my mistake.  Biden could also achieve the required 270 electoral votes if he wins PA.  If he loses PA, he’d need 2 of Georgia, Arizona, and Nevada.

5 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

Yes also important is Mitch McConnell and rob portman, both high ranking republican senators made statements today which seemingly signaled if Biden wins they will push trump to stop the legal battles and conspiracy crap. This tweet has the story

Hooray!! We're applauding them for literally doing the bare minimum of what's required to be a decent human being! 

Trump might be a sociopath, but Mitch McConnell is legitimately the worst of the worst. I loathe him FAR more than the big Cheeto. 

8 hours ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Hooray!! We're applauding them for literally doing the bare minimum of what's required to be a decent human being! 

Trump might be a sociopath, but Mitch McConnell is legitimately the worst of the worst. I loathe him FAR more than the big Cheeto. 

He really is the worst. Lindsey Graham is another one I despise. 

8 hours ago, dunlopp9987 said:

where was i applauding them?  i simply stated the repubs won't join in the legal battles like Trump wants to.  Which is how it should be and a good thing.  never said i liked either of them, my feelings on repubs have been widely shared on here already so i'll spare you