IGNORED

US Politics/Biden Presidency (Trump-free zone)

johnh

On 18/02/2016 at 16:17, Cornish Steve said:

Frankly, he's an out and out fascist, and, while it's not been widely reported, his supporters have been beating people up. It's mind-blowing that he's even scoring double-digits, let alone winning contests. Why do we not learn lessons from history? This is not going to turn out well.

I thought I'd have a look at the early posts in this. Steve not alone in calling it but he got in early, 7th post in the thread.

For me the repubs reaction is political spin.  NOW they vote for impeachment to act like they don’t like him and didn’t support him for 4 years.  They’ll use this to wash their hands of him and have Pence be president for a couple days and talk him up.  Meanwhile the dumb will fall for it.  They aided and abetted him his whole presidency, did nothing about the siege on the capitol but now wanna act like he’s too much.

no from me.  Anyone linked to trunk should have ads going non stop when they are up for re-election, get them out.

4 hours ago, MikeO said:

I thought I'd have a look at the early posts in this. Steve not alone in calling it but he got in early, 7th post in the thread.

And I'm certainly not happy about being right.

There have been notices circulating among Trump supporters calling for an armed march against all state capitols this coming Sunday (a friend of mine sent me a copy over the weekend, but it reached the mainstream news today). At this point, sadly, things are going to get worse before they get better.

50 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Let’s hope this impeachment sticks and he’s removed before his term is up, and that leads to trials for inciting riots and what ever else they can charge him with. 

McConnell has said he won't reconvene the Senate until the 19th at the earliest, so there's no way Trump will be convicted before the end of his term

A thought experiment...

What would you do if you were President Trump and wanted to conduct a successful coup?

1) Ensure your own loyalists are in charge at the Department of Defense, law enforcement, and at the intelligence services. (Should army officers be reluctant, have a retired general lined up to help.)

2) Deploy tens of thousands of troops to Washington DC and ensure that law enforcement assets are in place at all state capitals.

3) Get your supporters fired up, tell/show them they can win, and make clear that the nation/Constitution will be undermined if enemies are allowed to come into power.

4) Gain control of the media to ensure you have a powerful voice and your opponents' voices are suppressed.

5) Separate yourself from the nation's capital (the "seat of evil") and establish your headquarters somewhere safe.

I'd humbly point out that all but #4 are currently in place.

6) Ensure there's a trigger point, preferably before or during this week's inauguration.

No matter what, this will be a momentous week in American history; I hope it's not also a traumatic one.

I feel oddly confident that tomorrow will go off without a hitch (or as close to without a hitch as you can get). I think right-wing extremists will know that everyone is on high alert tomorrow, and instead might look to later this week to try anything. Fingers crossed that I'm wrong in that assumption as well

4 minutes ago, dunlopp9987 said:

I feel oddly confident that tomorrow will go off without a hitch (or as close to without a hitch as you can get). I think right-wing extremists will know that everyone is on high alert tomorrow, and instead might look to later this week to try anything. Fingers crossed that I'm wrong in that assumption as well

I agree with you and am likewise reasonably confident. There remains this lurking suspicion, though, that the president will do literally anything to stay in power.

• MikeO changed the title to Trump binned (ex Trump in charge/Race for the US presidency thread)

A great day for the USA, a great day for Americans, and a great day for all right minded people in the world. 
Now we Brits have to wait a little longer to get rid of Boris and try to right his wrongs, great to see Biden already undoing some of Trumps wrongdoing and hopefully he can reunite as many Americans as possible whether Republicans or Democrats. 
Good luck Yankee friends a great start to the year for you guys, Trump gone and Everton riding high 💙

6 minutes ago, Palfy said:

A great day for the USA, a great day for Americans, and a great day for all right minded people in the world. 
Now we Brits have to wait a little longer to get rid of Boris and try to right his wrongs, great to see Biden already undoing some of Trumps wrongdoing and hopefully he can reunite as many Americans as possible whether Republicans or Democrats. 
Good luck Yankee friends a great start to the year for you guys, Trump gone and Everton riding high 💙

We might get rid of Boris in the next election but it'll be another Conservative government, so it'll be no different. We're fucked.