Hafnia

Referendum  

50 members have voted

1. 1. In or out?

• Stay in
    • Leave

This poll is closed to new votes

think it's obligatory in Australia, good idea

It is, and we have a preferential system so if your first choice doesn't get up, your preferences flow in the order of your selections, we also democratically elect our upper house.

How you can have a first past the post system in this day and age and call that democracy I have no idea.

I voted out. I want our elected government to make our rules. Is that far right? No is it fuck.

Are there any specific EU rules that you didn't like or just a general problem with being an EU citizen?

As far as I am aware you have two houses of parliament that can legislate for Britain, and as far as this thread goes your reasons for wanting to exit seem pretty much rooted in nativism which is pretty right wing.

hows about the amount of people who voted in because "I seen a picture of IN that included Blair, Branson, Cameron and some posh popular figures vs OUT that included Trump, Farage, Boris and some unpopular figures.

This played a massive factor... ridiculous. In the end for many it bacame an intellectual back patting exercise for people too fuckin lazy or stupid to understand how the vote would impact them.

Some girl who i went to school with who to put it politely doesnt really watch news or look into things other than Towie or big brother wrote "i cant beleeve it, dis is really bad for england isnt it".

When asked why she said "no more holidays in spain, we arent in europe anymore" i was awaiting the no more eurovision song contest shout.

There has been ignorance on both sides.

Btw. Not all people who are concerned about immigration are racist. Do i lock my cupboard in work because i dont trust my work colleagues? No. Its called taking precautionary measures and having governance. Immigration is a good thing - I am a 3rd generation immigrant from Ireland like many in the north west. Its ensuring that immigration works for the economy not hits the economy.

Its not just immigration that needs sorting. Its the "no work" culture. When its more profitable to sit on your arse doing nothing then its not good is it. Many things need to change in this country... minimum wage needs rising for one.

I'll green you in return !

Read my reply to Newty and you'll understand where I stand.; no need to be so defensive.

I tend to (try to) keep emotion out of these things, but I guess that's easier not being a UK citizen and not really directly affected.

Fair enough.

I did get emotional and do about anything that I have a strong opinion about. And I'm sick of hearing the shit that's getting spouted in the media about the leave voters, and it came across as you saying the same thing and I sort of exploded. Not all remain voters are educated for example - I heard one woman who voted to stay say she couldn't believe we'd voted to leave during the Euro's and what were our players going to do now! Fuck me, how thick can you get?

I don't think anyone has accused anyone here of racism etc. The point is that only far right parties are celebrating it. At least, that's how I've read it.

Brave is a bit strong, Romey. I'm glad the people voted and a change is coming, I'm just angry at / scared by the result.

But, I agree with you that politics brought it upon itself and now there will be massive repercussions. There is a collective fear from a lot of people of what's to come.

I apologise for getting so emotional about it, and like I've said elsewhere I respect the opinions of those who stuck to their guns and voted the way they felt fit, even if I strongly (perhaps too much) disagree. I just don't think either side made this decision based on any concrete evidence, pretty sure that's my biggest gripe.

I don't think brave was a bit strong at all, Matt. This was perhaps the biggest decision people had to make in their entire lives, that would have massive repercussions no matter which they voted.

I blame them also.

Just had a deep discussion with Josh about it and he's far more angry than me. We all know people who never watch the news, never read a paper, who would have been completely oblivious to the fact that the referendum even took place. Never been one for compulsory voting but maybe it's something that needs looking at.

I've been saying it should be compulsory for a while. Well, ever since I studied politics in Sixth Form and loved it. It should be your duty as a citizen. Even if they have an option to tick a box saying neither or whatever. You should have to make the effort to actually vote - you never know, the ones who would vote neither because they don't care might actually take the time to look into the vote because they have to vote no matter what and put a proper vote in.

Haha, wow, just saw Nigel Farage's comments about that 350m transfer from the EU to the NHS. He's not wasting time. Weren't the parties campaigning for a Brexit the neoliberal ones and did people actually believe they were advocating a Brexit to save publically funded healthcare? ​

He didn't say that it was the vote leave group of which he's excluded from he's with the grassroots campaign group it's just a typical media ploy to make people "think" what have we done! He said the money would be distributed to which resources required it

It's funny I've not heard many IN voters and media outlets mentioning that Cameron and co sold off NHS Kent to Branson and he's privatising it as Virgin Healthcare one of the main aspects of the remain camps campaigns

He didn't say that it was the vote leave group of which he's excluded from he's with the grassroots campaign group it's just a typical media ploy to make people "think" what have we done! He said the money would be distributed to which resources required it

It's funny I've not heard many IN voters and media outlets mentioning that Cameron and co sold off NHS Kent to Branson and he's privatising it as Virgin Healthcare one of the main aspects of the remain camps campaigns

That's the thing though. I'm not saying David Cameron is or ever was the saviour of the welfare state. It was UKIP and a majority of the Tory party campaigning for Brexit. Neither of them were realistically doing it to fund the NHS. If you do save money by exiting the EU, and seeing as the Tories are still in power, I think it's far more likely the money's going to tax cuts for the rich as surely it will eventually "trickle down".

That's the thing though. I'm not saying David Cameron is or ever was the saviour of the welfare state. It was UKIP and a majority of the Tory party campaigning for Brexit. Neither of them were realistically doing it to fund the NHS. If you do save money by exiting the EU, and seeing as the Tories are still in power, I think it's far more likely the money's going to tax cuts for the rich as surely it will eventually "trickle down".

I get your point Steve I just find it laughable the media and people jump on what they want to hear without knowing what was actually said or even by whom it was an easy and simple point to try and vilify Farage and co

I'm not defending the man either but I've seen that clip posted so many times by people doing just that I wanted to point out he never even said it, nothing new there in terms of finances trickling down its the way of the world sadly I'd just like people to remember how many broken promises we've had from Cameron since being elected it swings in roundabouts

The way I see it there would have been ramifications whichever way the vote swung we now enter a relative unknown with an opportunity to become stronger rather than stay onboard a ship that was always bound to sink at some point, it could go the other way and we could come out far worse but you never get anywhere without taking a risk

I feel like this is the kind of subject where both camps exaggerate their arguments... All I want to know is; what are the impications. For instance, does leaving the EU have any impact on UK's membership of the Schengen zone or the European Economical Area? Are those off the table now? Or not? Or do they have to be re-negotiated? And how about programmes like Erasmus?

Edited by Mirallas

There has been ignorance on both sides.

Btw. Not all people who are concerned about immigration are racist. Do i lock my cupboard in work because i dont trust my work colleagues? No. Its called taking precautionary measures and having governance. Immigration is a good thing - I am a 3rd generation immigrant from Ireland like many in the north west. Its ensuring that immigration works for the economy not hits the economy.

Its not just immigration that needs sorting. Its the "no work" culture. When its more profitable to sit on your arse doing nothing then its not good is it. Many things need to change in this country... minimum wage needs rising for one.

You shouldn't justify your racism under the umbrella of precautionary measures. Foreigners bring in more money than they take out.

No idea why you're going on about benefits, I hope it's not alluding to the immigrants. As for minimum wage it gives companies a nice pitiful level to pay their staff that they will moan about, however it is easily affordable for most and the company better off than if we had proper procedures in place to govern wages. Conversely raise the minimum too high and you will scare off the employers, see South Africa.

You shouldn't justify your racism under the umbrella of precautionary measures. Foreigners bring in more money than they take out.

No idea why you're going on about benefits, I hope it's not alluding to the immigrants. As for minimum wage it gives companies a nice pitiful level to pay their staff that they will moan about, however it is easily affordable for most and the company better off than if we had proper procedures in place to govern wages. Conversely raise the minimum too high and you will scare off the employers, see South Africa.

Maybe you need to read what I wrote before you class me as racist you fuckwit.

The very fact that i never specified the "no work culture" as being specific to immigrants or whatever is because I am not racist. If i was to in anyway specify a behaviour by demographic then that would be prejudiced. A no work culture is exactly what we have seen across great britain and it has been supported by benefits given out stupidly.

Absorb what i wrote. Maybe its you who is racist... it never occurred to me to think it would just be immigrants who have a no work culture.

Immigration helped build this country after the second world war. To have people sponge benefits - immigrant or not does not sit well with me. Two seperate issues entirely.

Dont imply im racist again you prick.

Edited by Hafnia

Maybe you need to read what I wrote before you class me as racist you fuckwit.

The very fact that i never specified the "no work culture" as being specific to immigrants or whatever is because I am not racist. If i was to in anyway specify a behaviour by demographic then that would be prejudiced. A no work culture is exactly what we have seen across great britain and it has been supported by benefits given out stupidly.

Absorb what i wrote. Maybe its you who is racist... it never occurred to me to think it would just be immigrants who have a no work culture.

Immigration helped build this country after the second world war. To have people sponge benefits - immigrant or not does not sit well with me. Two seperate issues entirely.

Dont imply im racist again you prick.

Didn't say you had, but you strawmanned it next to it. Why are you bringing benefits up?

Anyhow it was the bit before that was racist. Enjoy your dailymail, Mr Informed Decision Man.

Didn't say you had, but you strawmanned it next to it. Why are you bringing benefits up?

Anyhow it was the bit before that was racist. Enjoy your dailymail, Mr Informed Decision Man.

Explain the strawman again... i love it when you get this one wrong.

What's the connection between immigration and benefits?

Notice you have chose not to explain your precautionary measures racist comment, Strawman.

The connection??? It was a seperate paragraph you nob. No comma, not even hyphenated - not even a new sentance. A new paragraph.

Are you accusing me of making loose connections? If i have something to say i will say it. Or do I need to place all my political views on everything in one post?

And fuck off with your strawman misinterpretation. Its tiring, you seen someone use it and without any understanding of it you use it incorrectly - repeatedly.

You make yourself look a right tit on here. Go read a book or watch an independent news channel and dont irritate

me with your trolling - i dont buy news papers or get my views from one. Stick to kane bashing - doesnt require too much intellect.

Edited by Hafnia

The connection??? It was a seperate paragraph you nob. No comma, not even hypenated - not even a new sentance. A new paragraph.

Are you accusing me of making loose connections? If i have something to say i will say it. Or do I need to place all my political views on everything in one post?

And fuck off with your strawman misinterpratation. Its tiring, you seen someone use it and without any understanding of it you use it incorrectly - repeatedly.

You make yourself look a right tit on here. Go read a book or watch an indepandant news channel and dont irtitate me with your trolling. Stick to kane bashing - doesnt require too much intellect.

I know when people are smarter than me. I listen to them and even hold my hand up when I'm wrong. You listen to Gove, Trump, and Boris, and are too stubborn to admit when you are wrong and improve.

Still strawmaning away from your racist comment.

I guess the below is why you don't like the independent, they published an article on the 8 reasons Haf voted out.

http://indy100.independent.co.uk/article/8-of-the-most-misleading-promises-of-the-vote-leave-campaign-ranked-in-order-of-preposterousness--WyxD59VO3Nb

Edited by pete0

I know when people are smarter than me. I listen to them and even hold my hand up when I'm wrong. You listen to Gove, Trump, and Boris, and are too stubborn to admit when you are wrong and improve.

Still strawmaning away from your racist comment.

I guess the below is why you don't like the independent, they published an article on the 8 reasons Haf voted out.

http://indy100.independent.co.uk/article/8-of-the-most-misleading-promises-of-the-vote-leave-campaign-ranked-in-order-of-preposterousness--WyxD59VO3Nb

You are a complete and utter gobshite. It would not surprise me if you voted based on brewsters millions "none of the above" campaign.

I'm glad you feel you made the right decision because the independent is on your side... tell me, did you used to sit next to the clever lad in science so you could copy off him?

Me? I relied on myself.

Strawman quote again... please do stop using that phrase. It's like hearing someone say "can you be more pacific".

I feel like this is the kind of subject where both camps exaggerate their arguments... All I want to know is; what are the impications. For instance, does leaving the EU have any impact on UK's membership of the Schengen zone or the European Economical Area? Are those off the table now? Or not? Or do they have to be re-negotiated? And how about programmes like Erasmus?

I'll just repost my question :D

Come on guys, keep it civil

I've called him out on a racist comment.

He's spat his dummy out again, with the bullying name calling. I've not retaliated beyond him being annoyed about my apparent misinterpratation of Strawman. He should be beyond warnings now, not the first time he's resorted to abuse. How many people has he bullied off this site?

His comment is racist. He's not tried to manage any misinterpratation of it. So must know it's racists. Why is he still allowed to post on this forum. That's two strikes today. Surely he has a bucket load more to go with them too.

You are a complete and utter gobshite. It would not surprise me if you voted based on brewsters millions "none of the above" campaign.

I'm glad you feel you made the right decision because the independent is on your side... tell me, did you used to sit next to the clever lad in science so you could copy off him?

Me? I relied on myself.

Strawman quote again... please do stop using that phrase. It's like hearing someone say "can you be more pacific".

I've got a degree in economics, but your probably right, you always are aren't you.

I was a Mirror and Guardian reader in the past. Don't bother with the rags any more.

No, they probably copied off me tbh, I was in the top set for science. Sure you did. I had mates and helped them, probs why I don't read the mail.

If it bothers you that much, then hold your hand up, explain your racism, and stop strawmaning.

Edited by pete0

Bullying? Playing the victim again are we Pete. You replied a post I made that had absolutely nothing racist in it with an accusation of me being Racist... not for the first time has this happened and right up till that point to this thread was absolutely fine. You clearly fancied a response and by fuck you got one. So stop licking your wounds and bleating to the mods.

How the fuck dare you call me racist? I find racism abhorrent. You know fuck all about my background and why I detest racism - watching my best friend as a child from 8 till 15 suffer bullying as second generation Jamaican immigrant. Watching him not be allowed into shops or followed round because the shop owners thought he would steal.

You are a nob... I'm stating a fact for the very reason above. Don't lock horns with me on shit like this unless you really have good grounds - you don't, now kindly shut the fuck up.

I wonder if we can now close the topics of foreign players in the rumourama folder who aren't internationals for their country. However, taking a quick look at the list of players in there... They're pretty much all internationals, apart from the rare exception here and there.

The links have disappeared now, but I read two very interesting articles last night at the BBC website. The first quote the reaction of ordinary citizens around Europe. Several (including people from Holland and Germany) praised British voters for having the courage to challenge a dysfunctional EU and wanted the same opportunity. In contrast, President Juncker is demanding that Britain begin withdrawal proceedings next week. No, Mr. Juncker, that's not how negotiation works. Britain will invoke clause 50 at the time best for Britain, not when the EU says so. Also, Mr Juncker called a meeting of all heads of state for next week, but refused to invite Mr. Cameron. This is ridiculous since we remain, for now, full members. Such pettiness on his part will backfire.

The links have disappeared now, but I read two very interesting articles last night at the BBC website. The first quote the reaction of ordinary citizens around Europe. Several (including people from Holland and Germany) praised British voters for having the courage to challenge a dysfunctional EU and wanted the same opportunity. In contrast, President Juncker is demanding that Britain begin withdrawal proceedings next week. No, Mr. Juncker, that's not how negotiation works. Britain will invoke clause 50 at the time best for Britain, not when the EU says so. Also, Mr Juncker called a meeting of all heads of state for next week, but refused to invite Mr. Cameron. This is ridiculous since we remain, for now, full members. Such pettiness on his part will backfire.

That sounds somewhat ridiculous.