Hafnia

Referendum  

50 members have voted

1. 1. In or out?

• Stay in
    • Leave

This poll is closed to new votes

Whoohoo!

Now the EU will be forced to separate political union from economic union. If they have the courage to do that, Britain will remain part of an economic union - what was once called the Common Market. We would embrace that, right? But we no longer have to cede power to European leaders and allow them to undermine the traditional British way - which can best be defined as "fair play."

Glad to see that Wales (and Cornwall, from anecdotal reports) were strongly for the Brexit.

I agree with Steve (thank you for not using the word bureaucrat in your post :P). 99% of legislation from the EU still has to do with the Common Market though, so all those regulations and rules you feel hold Britain back, will still apply if you want to remain in the Common Market. Don't think Farage would go for that.

The idea of a two-speed Europe has existed for a long time, where you'd have a core Europe with deeper integration and then other countries who are not (yet) ready for such integration (because they are too weak economically, or they have a strong cultural/historical adversity towards unity between European states, or ...). Theoretically this Core Europe would then have a "centripetal effect", a magnetic attraction for the rest of Europe.

Geert Wilders (the Dutch anti-Islam facsist) has already congratulated the UK and calls for a vote in the Netherlands; so has the Vlaams Belang (Flemish very right wing party); .. I think it's a bit early to have referenda on membership in all these countries (although I the dutch and belgian would be firmly in). First we need to see how the UK-exit is handled.

Think Cameron should resign now (also if Remain had won); he just split his country in two.

Very sad.

Pound drops to lowest levels since 1985.

I'd like to leave (if I could afford to).

But fair enough to those that called it, I blame John's family personally, beat the odds big time.

I'm sorry Mike :mellow: . My affinity for all (UK) Toffeetalk members was the only reason I would have been pleased with a Remain vote;

It sucks to be on the losing side of a near 50-50 vote, especially if you see Farage on the other side. Silver lining: he's out of a job now, right?

Edited by holystove

It sucks to be on the losing side of a near 50-50 vote, especially if you see Farage on the other side. Silver lining: he's out of a job now, right?

Said that earlier in the thread, if the purpose of UKIP was achieved would they bugger off; but I expect the smarmy c*nt will now have his feet well and truly under the table.

Said that earlier in the thread, if the purpose of UKIP was achieved would they bugger off; but I expect the smarmy c*nt will now have his feet well and truly under the table.

Big Sexy Jeb! Lund Retweeted Katharine Viner

We're not often classier in America, but we usually give it at least 12 hours before doing a 180 on our worst lies.

Big Sexy Jeb! Lund added,

Katharine Viner @KathViner

Mark P Retweeted Anushka Asthana

I hate it when I accidentally laser-cut a huge mistake onto the side of a fucking 20-foot bus

Mark P added,

Anushka Asthana @GuardianAnushka
Nigel Farage says no we won't be able to spend £350m to the NHS... That was a mistake for Vote Leave to say that, he says...
Edited by holystove

Piss people off long enough and this is what happens.

No one in my mind has voted for boris or farage... they have voted for the ability to have more control of our destiny. Its a bold step but this country is the 5th latgest economy in the world and not because it was in the EU.

Piss people off long enough and this is what happens.

No one in my mind has voted for boris or farage... they have voted for the ability to have more control of our destiny. Its a bold step but this country is the 5th latgest economy in the world and not because it was in the EU.

First thing you wrote is true. Elites depress wages & economic mobility, saddle people with debt. Then get surprised as demagogues win by giving people convenient scapegoats.

Second thing you wrote is, according to every economist who is not in the "Economists for Brexit" camp, wrong.

Very sad.

Pound drops to lowest levels since 1985.

I'd like to leave (if I could afford to).

But fair enough to those that called it, I blame John's family personally, beat the odds big time.

It was always going to happen and rose slightly yesterday which made the decrease look slightly worse today

It will steady out over time it will take around two years to "fully leave" and in that time the hard negotiations will take place ala Norway Switzerland etc

Rome wasn't built in a day and I'm hoping over time it will be shown to be the right decision

Matt do you know if any of the bilateral agreements put in place by the likes of Norway cover the likes of yourself? Hopefully so and we see something similar happen here for the likes of yourself

David Cameron clearly lacks the confidence to lead the UK in challenging times so it is right he resigned, although he had a duty to stay and deliver the will of the people. I see him as a modern Clement Attlee; he needs to replaced with the modern Winston Churchill.

We are continually told that winning is all the matters, and that beliefs and principles are secondary.

I agree that you have to win, but if you do by forgetting or by completely compromising what you truly believe, then you lose in the end.

David Cameron clearly believed that Britain should remain a member of the EU, but chose to have a referendum to make sure that he won in 2015, so he could lead a Conservative Government, and be PM again.

By the time he resigns he'll have managed to do that for at most 17 months.

17 months of 'winning' is apparently the price of our EU membership and our future.

I don't think much will change in the upcoming future.

The pound did tumble down, but is already starting to come back again. The currency was always going to have a little turbulence while the mega rich played chess with their bank accounts.

We don't just leave today. Nothing happens straight away. We have to give our official notice...then a 2 year count down begins. Might take a while to 'hand in our notice'.

We'll still trade with the EU. We'll still adopt relative laws to keep us competitive. A big wire fence doesn't just suddenly appear around the UK. We will still work with the EU. But we'll do it in a way that best suits our nation and our country. What's wrong with that?

Seems like pressure is mounting in other countries in the EU to follow suit.

Someone in Sinn Fein is calling for a referendum for Norn Iron to decide if they wish to join Ireland in the EU as the majority of Norn iron voters voted to remain.

Someone in Cornwall Council is wanting reassurances from the UK Government that they will match the EU funding they have been receiving now the result is known. http://www.itv.com/news/westcountry/update/2016-06-24/cornwall-pleas-for-reassurance-it-will-not-be-worse-off-following-brexit-vote/