Brexit...

Hafnia

Referendum  

50 members have voted

1. 1. In or out?

• Stay in
    • Leave

This poll is closed to new votes

If a company invests in poor parts of Europe (don't know the criteria, but every country has such regions) they get financial aid from the EU (through loans, subsidies, ...). The EU doesn't force a company to relocate though (it would be absurd to believe that).

Belgium has the same problem as the UK in that a lot of big companies leave the country to go to cheaper countries; I could make a list just as long as Lowensda. The reason these companies leave is because its cheaper to have production in another country. It's more expensive in the UK (and Belgium) because of national fiscal policy (for example in Belgium, there are huge taxes on income). This is a political decision by national governments. You can't blame this on the EU, as evidenced by the fact that Germany (a rich country) is a beneficiary of companies relocating; they have a more company-friendly fiscal policy (not saying this is better).

And if that is most important to you, a Brexit will only make it worse, as not only will the UK be crippled by its own fiscal policy, it will face tariffs etc to export to the biggest single market in the world (coincidentally, the neighbours of the UK).

--

Anyway good luck tomorrow, either way it goes, it will be very interesting.

Guest rusty747

Pussies.

Everything. The sky, the ground, airplanes... Ok, not airplanes, they're scary shit.

i can agree with you there :unsure:

You guys sound like you might have been my passengers recently!

You guys sound like you might have been my passengers recently!

No problem with me Rusty; if you and your mates got food poisoning I'd be straight up the front on the wheel getting talked down by the tower while the head stewardess "relieved my stress" (I'll not elaborate, it's my fantasy and I'm sticking to it :P).

I'm sure we've heard them all before, but here are some typical outlandish EU regulations - some of which were withdrawn after the understandable outcry:

- Eggs cannot be sold by the dozen. They must be sold by the kilogram.

- Cucumbers cannot be sold if their curvature exceeds 10mm for every 10cm in length.

- The angle on bananas cannot exceed a prescribed maximum.

- A jam with less than 50% sugar must be called a preserve.

- Producers of bottled water cannot claim that it helps prevent dehydration.

- Sellers of prunes cannot claim they promote bowel movement.

- A swede cannot be labled a turnip - unless it's in a Cornish pasty.

- Those suffering from diabetes may not drive.

- A child under 8 cannot blow up a balloon without adult supervision.

- Horses may be eaten, but not pet horses.

- It's illegal to use barley straw to clear garden ponds of algae.

- Restaurants cannot serve customers with dishes of olive oil for their bread.

- A child under 14 cannot use blow-out party poppers.

- A kiwi fruit cannot be sold if it weighs less than 62 pgrams.

How can anyone justify this level of regulation?

Always wanted to respond to this but forgot. For the full list that debunks or clarifies every single item on your list, go to this official website : http://blogs.ec.europa.eu/ECintheUK/euromyths-a-z-index/
The EC has responded to over 400 myths published by the British media. These range from the absurd (fishing boats will be forced to carry condoms) to the ridiculous (zippers on trousers will be banned). Some are seemingly the result of wilful misunderstandigs. A story published by the Sun in 1999 claimed that the queen would suddenly have to make her own tea because of new EU rules. Not only is this inaccurate, but the laws that this referred to were enacted by Britain itself in 1993. Another artikel in the Daily Star in 2004 reckoned that the EU was going to limit the speed of children's playground roundabouts. This voluntary guidline was not even proposed by the EU at all, but rather by a different organisation with the word "Europe" in its name.
There is no other country in the EU where the media publishes these amount of fabricated stories. I think this shows there has always been a certain hostility and suspicion towards the EU from the beginning.
If Remain wins, maybe the biggest reform needed is on the reporting on the EU in Britain. :)

Thinking on this further, and I need Holystove's expertise here if he's about, but would us leaving the EU not have affects on ties / agreements / contracts / etc, with individual countries? If so, do all of these things not need to be reviewed with the respective governing bodies? If so, how many items need reviewing, how much is that going to cost to break / renegotiate deals, and how likely are the countries we have to deal with going to be willing? Thinking about that, you can stick another 10 years and move the cost brackets to the hundreds of billions.

Doesn't matter if there is an effect on 'ties' - not many people wear them these days. :D

My final post before the vote. I forecast 55% against 45% (of votes cast) in favour of 'leave'.

You can get 4/1 on a 55% out vote with Corals John, get your money down!

Better still you can get 7/1 with Betfred on remain getting 45%.

Drinks on you tomorrow if you're right.

Hopefully I'll be buying :).

13524514_10154878148782004_3058600609543

Front page of Germany's Bild is spectacular.
"Dear Britain, if you stay in the EU...
We will acknowledge the Wembley goal.
We won't make any more jokes about Prince Charles' ears.
We won't wear sun cream on the beach in solidarity with your sunburn.
We will go without our goalkeeper at the next penalty shootout to make it more exciting.
We will introduce tea time, with buckets on the beaches of Majorca.
We will willingly provide the villain in every Bond film.
We'll start "ticking" like you and put our clocks back by an hour.
We'll put through an EU directive which forbids foam on our beer.
We'll reserve sun loungers around the pool for you with our towels.
Jogi Löw will guard your crown jewels.
We will come to your Queen's 100th birthday."

Who said the Germans don't have a sense of humour :lol:

The fact that the UK had faster growth after joining the EU than before, was nothing to do with EU membership. It was due to the change of Government in the UK. Our low growth prior to joining the EU was due to internal UK political problems, not because we weren't in the EU. The subsequent growth was because we sorted out those internal political problems.

The fact that the UK had faster growth after joining the EU than before, was nothing to do with EU membership. It was due to the change of Government in the UK. Our low growth prior to joining the EU was due to internal UK political problems, not because we weren't in the EU. The subsequent growth was because we sorted out those internal political problems.

Fair enough. I'm not an economist so I can't offer a counter argument myself. I can only refer to the article I already posted:

Assessment

Splitting correlation from causation is difficult. All countries’ growth slowed after the postwar surge petered out. But, given the dramatic improvement in Britain’s position, it is nearly impossible to argue that the EU stood in the way of Britain pulling up its socks. In the most detailed assessment to date, professor Nick Crafts of Warwick university, Britain’s leading economic historian, estimates that the EU directly raised UK prosperity by about 10 per cent, largely due to increased competition and better access to the single European market.

Fair enough. I'm not an economist so I can't offer a counter argument myself. I can only refer to the article I already posted:

Assessment

Splitting correlation from causation is difficult. All countries’ growth slowed after the postwar surge petered out. But, given the dramatic improvement in Britain’s position, it is nearly impossible to argue that the EU stood in the way of Britain pulling up its socks. In the most detailed assessment to date, professor Nick Crafts of Warwick university, Britain’s leading economic historian, estimates that the EU directly raised UK prosperity by about 10 per cent, largely due to increased competition and better access to the single European market.

The 1970's were a low point for the UK economically. (I know because I lived through it) 3 day week, high inflation, labour disputes, power cuts. For example, I was computer manager and our computer worked 24 hrs a day, 6 days per week. When the power went off there wasn't enough slack for recovery. We installed a generator to keep us going. So its not really valid to use part of that decade as a 'base' for comparison.

Always wanted to respond to this but forgot. For the full list that debunks or clarifies every single item on your list, go to this official website : http://blogs.ec.europa.eu/ECintheUK/euromyths-a-z-index/
The EC has responded to over 400 myths published by the British media. These range from the absurd (fishing boats will be forced to carry condoms) to the ridiculous (zippers on trousers will be banned). Some are seemingly the result of wilful misunderstandigs. A story published by the Sun in 1999 claimed that the queen would suddenly have to make her own tea because of new EU rules. Not only is this inaccurate, but the laws that this referred to were enacted by Britain itself in 1993. Another artikel in the Daily Star in 2004 reckoned that the EU was going to limit the speed of children's playground roundabouts. This voluntary guidline was not even proposed by the EU at all, but rather by a different organisation with the word "Europe" in its name.
There is no other country in the EU where the media publishes these amount of fabricated stories. I think this shows there has always been a certain hostility and suspicion towards the EU from the beginning.
If Remain wins, maybe the biggest reform needed is on the reporting on the EU in Britain. :)

I checked several of these out before posting (I'm not that gullible!), and they are quite valid. Just ask the Iberian countries about olive oil; they were not happy campers, and the EU had to backtrack.