Brexit...

Hafnia

Referendum  

50 members have voted

1. 1. In or out?

• Stay in
    • Leave

This poll is closed to new votes

There's tomorrow too, it's only today for those who want to remain. Those who want to leave go tomorrow.

Brilliant :rofl:.

51-49 to remain.

I'd settle for that but personally I think it'll be slightly wider, 54-46 or thereabouts.

todays the big day, what time do polls close?

10.00pm.

Have just been to vote with Her indoors. We both voted 'leave' so as far as I know, 'leave' is ahead 2 - 0.

Just been with wife and son, remain 3-2 ahead :happy:.

Brilliant :rofl:.

I'd settle for that but personally I think it'll be slightly wider, 54-46 or thereabouts.

10.00pm.

Just been with wife and son, remain 3-2 ahead :happy:.

10p? wow that is late. so that would be i think 4pm my time, so maybe before i go to bed they'll have the results close to counted. or do you think it will take a couple days?

10p? wow that is late. so that would be i think 4pm my time, so maybe before i go to bed they'll have the results close to counted. or do you think it will take a couple days?

Friday morning the official and final result will be announced; but news organisations take "exit polls" asking people how they voted as they come out, so they give a projected result almost immediately. General Election last year the BBC's prediction was almost totally correct, so unless it's very close I think we'll as good as know by 10.01.

Edit: actually no exit poll on BBC so I take that back.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36596647

Friday morning the official and final result will be announced; but news organisations take "exit polls" asking people how they voted as they come out, so they give a projected result almost immediately. General Election last year the BBC's prediction was almost totally correct, so unless it's very close I think we'll as good as know by 10.01.

thanks mike! the media in america have really ramped up coverage on this topic this week, looking forward to the results and conversation on the results here. it's been a good thread.

Mike, I'm not sure an exit poll is valid in the context of a referendum. We are not voting for several candidates is just a yes or no. Different social groups will vote at different times during the day so a 'trend' is meaningless. Plus, there was no exit poll when I voted.

Have just checked, there are no exit polls.

Edited by johnh

Think it will be 40 remain, 30 leave, and 30 won't vote.

I say that because the English never like to rock the boat, we never want to be put in a position where we have to make a decision, and we are quite happy to keep our head down and muddle along. Pussies

Mike, I'm not sure an exit poll is valid in the context of a referendum. We are not voting for several candidates is just a yes or no. Different social groups will vote at different times during the day so a 'trend' is meaningless. Plus, there was no exit poll when I voted.

Have just checked, there are no exit polls.

I noticed that myself John and edited the post accordingly; sadly I type slow and you and Mark replied before I'd done it, curse you :shaking fist:.

My brother and cousins all voted Out, which is now ahead 21-3.

Good job it's not a table tennis match :lol:.

(I know, before anyone points it out, that table tennis matches nowadays only go up to eleven points, I'm talking about when I played it and the scoring was done properly)

I'm genuinely worried how this misguided rhetoric from English Trump, Gove and the other lying fuckwits is going to affect my life here. All the while I've been denied my right to a say because of a technicality. Fuck you, Cameron, you monumental puss filled distended rectal wart scab.

Edited by Matt

Votes cast from me and the other half, regardless of my view as I've actually took some interest and read up on the pro's and con's of both sides although it's hard with all the scaremongering malarkey from both sides more so the IN side

The one thing that I've been appalled by is the way Cameron has used the sad death of Mrs Cox as leverage to sway votes the same thing happened in Sweden years ago...fishy

In a sense, Britain has put itself in a no-win situation. If Out wins, the bureaucrats will get all stuffy and make trade more difficult for Britain than for the US, Australia, even Russia. If In wins, they'll be like a scolding parent correcting a wayward child, telling us we'll now be forced to accept this, that, and the other and to stop complaining. Good will, it seems, has gone out the window.

I'm genuinely worried how this misguided rhetoric from English Trump, Gove and the other lying fuckwits is going to affect my life here. All the while I've been denied my right to a say because of a technicality. Fuck you, Cameron, you monumental puss filled distended rectal wart scab.

I was up town today with the missus and two chaps were handing out stay in flyers and chatting to Joe public about their views etc and they pulled a Danish bloke over and asked who he was voting for...

He said I can't I've lived here for x-amount of years and paid my taxes and have no say which I think is wrong he's been contributing to the system so he should be entitled to his vote in my eyes

I genuinely feel for the likes of yourself Matt who's livelihoods could be affected by it but don't have the right to vote it stinks tbh

I was up town today with the missus and two chaps were handing out stay in flyers and chatting to Joe public about their views etc and they pulled a Danish bloke over and asked who he was voting for...

He said I can't I've lived here for x-amount of years and paid my taxes and have no say which I think is wrong he's been contributing to the system so he should be entitled to his vote in my eyes

I genuinely feel for the likes of yourself Matt who's livelihoods could be affected by it but don't have the right to vote it stinks tbh

its a shambles. I agree I shouldn't get a say in who runs the country; I don't live there and don't pay taxes. But when these greedy little toff bastards are then denying me my right to vote on how my citizenship is affected I damn well do deserve a voice.

Matt, reading between the lines I get the impression that you have a grievance against Cameron.

Thanks lads, needed that :lol:

There are very few people I genuinely hate in this world but that man has turned our country upside down in his first term and now torn it in 2, all with the swaggering arrogance and condescending vile smugness that only comes from knowing you're screwing over people you don't give a shit about whilst reaping in masses of cash for you and your scum cronies.

In a sense, Britain has put itself in a no-win situation. If Out wins, the bureaucrats will get all stuffy and make trade more difficult for Britain than for the US, Australia, even Russia. If In wins, they'll be like a scolding parent correcting a wayward child, telling us we'll now be forced to accept this, that, and the other and to stop complaining. Good will, it seems, has gone out the window.

Such negativity is exactly what's wrong with how the public in the UK views the EU.

First of all, "bureaucrats" will have zero say over what trade deals will be put in place after a Brexit. Politicians decide that. The UK is just as much ran by bureaucrats as the EU...

Do you genuinely believe that Russia will get a better deal than Britain? Even with all the sanctions because of the annexation of Crimea? That's just absurd, Steve.

If a Brexit happens, the Belgian GDP will drop by an estimated 0.5% tot 1% so it is also in other member states' intrest to negotiate good deals.

If you remain, you will be part of the EU. Therefor if you refer to the EU it should be as "we". You won't be forced to accept anything that you didn't have a say in.

Seems to me you can't really blame good will going out of the window for some other Europeans, when it was never there in the first place for the Brits (granted this is to a large degree your media's fault).

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36420148

Not sure this was posted. Will be interesting what happens to the global markets

The Dow soared this morning, but it's backed off a bit and moving around hesitantly. Similarly, gold dropped this morning but has been climbing since. Clearly, the hope is for Remain, but the market is jittery.

Such negativity is exactly what's wrong with how the public in the UK views the EU.

First of all, "bureaucrats" will have zero say over what trade deals will be put in place after a Brexit. Politicians decide that. The UK is just as much ran by bureaucrats as the EU...

Do you genuinely believe that Russia will get a better deal than Britain? Even with all the sanctions because of the annexation of Crimea? That's just absurd, Steve.

If a Brexit happens, the Belgian GDP will drop by an estimated 0.5% tot 1% so it is also in other member states' intrest to negotiate good deals.

If you remain, you will be part of the EU. Therefor if you refer to the EU it should be as "we". You won't be forced to accept anything that you didn't have a say in.

Seems to me you can't really blame good will going out of the window for some other Europeans, when it was never there in the first place for the Brits (granted this is to a large degree your media's fault).

I'm simply relaying the sentiments I hear from family and friends. It doesn't mean it's logical, but it's how we feel. Europe, when I was growing up, was something "over there", and we were not part of it. Britain entered a Common Market, with emphasis on Market. Several years later, Britons, a little reluctantly, voted to remain in Europe despite significant misgivings. We joined this club because of trade, and that was it. We didn't join to become part of this charter or that regulation, this policy or that restriction, or to see our political destiny joined at the hip with Europe. Unlike countries on the continent, in my opinion, we still do not feel we're really a part of Europe and don't want a closer political union. Blame it on history, culture, isolationism, pride, misinformation, arrogance, whatever you want, but that's the way it is. Frankly, I don't think Europeans get this. Clearly, you don't.

Yes, like you, I would hope that the EU would see the benefit in continuing trade agreements with Britain should voters choose Out, but I sense a mean spirit among European leaders. Sometimes, countries cut their own throat rather than accept reality. Time will tell.

I'm simply relaying the sentiments I hear from family and friends. It doesn't mean it's logical, but it's how we feel. Europe, when I was growing up, was something "over there", and we were not part of it. Britain entered a Common Market, with emphasis on Market. Several years later, Britons, a little reluctantly, voted to remain in Europe despite significant misgivings. We joined this club because of trade, and that was it. We didn't join to become part of this charter or that regulation, this policy or that restriction, or to see our political destiny joined at the hip with Europe. Unlike countries on the continent, in my opinion, we still do not feel we're really a part of Europe and don't want a closer political union. Blame it on history, culture, isolationism, pride, misinformation, arrogance, whatever you want, but that's the way it is. Frankly, I don't think Europeans get this. Clearly, you don't.

Yes, like you, I would hope that the EU would see the benefit in continuing trade agreements with Britain should voters choose Out, but I sense a mean spirit among European leaders. Sometimes, countries cut their own throat rather than accept reality. Time will tell.

It's not the way it is for all of us. In fact, if the result goes the way it's looking like it's going to go, it's not the way it is for the majority of us.

It's not the way it is for all of us. In fact, if the result goes the way it's looking like it's going to go, it's not the way it is for the majority of us.

I wouldn't draw that conclusion at all, Mike. As I see and hear it, many people will vote Remain solely to retain access to the European market - the original premise of the Common Market. I'd be very surprised if a majority actually seek close political ties with European countries as part of a potential United States of Europe.

I wouldn't draw that conclusion at all, Mike. As I see and hear it, many people will vote Remain solely to retain access to the European market - the original premise of the Common Market. I'd be very surprised if a majority actually seek close political ties with European countries as part of a potential United States of Europe.

Some are voting to remain just so their holidays to Spain aren't more expensive... I shit you not.

There was an article recently in the Telegraph by William Hague in support of 'remain'. He emphasised the various 'opt-outs' that Britain has in a number of areas. If remain wins, then the acid test will be whether these opt-outs are worth the paper they are written on (that's if they are written down). His other point was that we have the option of referendums for certain issues eg joining the euro. We shall see. I do not trust politicians or bureaucrats - in that order.

Fair enough; though I for one would be delighted to see a United States of Europe and ultimately a United States of the World. I'll be in the ground long before that happens though, barring alien invasion to demonstrate to us how utterly insignificant we are in universal terms. We're less than a grain of sand in the Sahara but we insist on ganging up together due to accidents of geography and wars long since past.

MikeO, I once read that there are more 'suns/stars' in the universe than there are grains of sand on the whole of the earth. I find this difficult to believe as you should see the number of grains of sand in the block paving on my drive for a start!