Brexit...

Hafnia

Referendum  

50 members have voted

1. 1. In or out?

• Stay in
    • Leave

This poll is closed to new votes

In the US, the news is dominated by Google's analysis of searches from Britain the day after the vote. Things like "what is the EU? how many countries are in the EU? what will happen if Britain pulls out?" As a result, I've been subject to more smirks about the lack of British intelligence than I can ever remember. It sounds like a bit of a non-story to me, but has this been dominating news in Britain too?

Its not bollocks at all, clearly not everyone who voted leave is a thick racist, but every thick racist has been been empowered by the result and the evidence is everywhere.

By idiots being given the right to vote doesn't mean the article is correct or even evidential I'd hazard a guess and say most of the numbnuts that are of that mindset didn't even vote

I'm sure 9m (majority as its being put) got their union jack undies and knickers on and marched to the nearest polling station with the thought of no immigrant ever stepping foot in this country again, give people some credit not everyone is a dumb less intelligent creature from Jeremy Kyle

It is bollcocks because it is founded on 1200 to 1700 tweets 17m people voted if you deem that a sound basis for debate and labeling then it's pointless even talking to you

I hate racism hence why I won't be put into a simple minded bracket by people who have spat their dummies out because they lost like smacked arsed kids, will racism have played a part yes most certainly not denying that but a very very small one and certainly something you can't gauge from a load of shite conveniently plucked from Twitter

Edited by EFC-Paul

In the US, the news is dominated by Google's analysis of searches from Britain the day after the vote. Things like "what is the EU? how many countries are in the EU? what will happen if Britain pulls out?" As a result, I've been subject to more smirks about the lack of British intelligence than I can ever remember. It sounds like a bit of a non-story to me, but has this been dominating news in Britain too?

I've seen it on social media Steve, I think a large part is from "the people" not being given a neutral perspective on the potential outcome either way and many don't understand or get involved in politics until an election/referendum so I'd expect those kind of searches tbh

I've seen it on social media Steve, I think a large part is from "the people" not being given a neutral perspective on the potential outcome either way and many don't understand or get involved in politics until an election/referendum so I'd expect those kind of searches tbh

But why would such searches happen only after the vote?

But why would such searches happen only after the vote?

No one took it seriously / Too lazy / Indifference / Ignorance / Shite explanations of the details from both sides / etc...

Not the best basis for such a monumental change for the generations to come

General feeling in Sweden is that the stay side gained strength from UK's exit.

Ppl joking about the Google searches here to. Also saying that the UK is competing with the US on stupidity but the US has a Trump card.

All of this and still the Swedish Democrats, a far right wing party and known racists/bigotts get 18-20% in the polls.

IT IS about racism, nationalism, pride and fear of the future.

Edited by Peter H

One thing is clear across all swedish parties today. The UK will NOT be getting a sweetened deal from the EU. That would only make other countries want to leave. There must be a difference between being in or out of the EU.

Im putting my money on a Norwegian type deal. So IF there were ppl voting leave because of the immigration, they will be very dissappointed. (Just like the ones that believed Farage about the entire sum going to the NHS were)

It's been said before but the biggest problem now is that "out" never expected to win; they were hoping to get close and have their eurospectic credentials validated to a degree. Now they've won they're clueless what to do and the two main parties are in complete disarray.

I'm moving to Syria next Thursday; it's more stable over there.

Must admit though I'm getting fairly fed up of all the debating etc what's done is done now hopefully we move on as a Nation and come out of it all stronger

Not entirely related to the topic just slightly in a sense and sheds some positive light on the whole racism them and us type mentality a nice watch IMO

urll="https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DtyaEQEmt5ls&ved=0ahUKEwi9g_Pgy8jNAhVsK8AKHREKD84QtwIIGzAA&usg=AFQjCNE8A2p5rTuP-vyjBRVHoVVj4p64zg&sig2=yXSwZYs923UD9DxFxNqvbg"]https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DtyaEQEmt5ls&ved=0ahUKEwi9g_Pgy8jNAhVsK8AKHREKD84QtwIIGzAA&usg=AFQjCNE8A2p5rTuP-vyjBRVHoVVj4p64zg&sig2=yXSwZYs923UD9DxFxNqvbg[/url]

Edited by EFC-Paul

Must admit though I'm getting fairly fed up of all the debating etc what's done is done now hopefully we move on as a Nation and come out of it all stronger

Not entirely related to the topic just slightly in a sense and sheds some positive light on the whole racism them and us type mentality a nice watch IMO

whats done is not what's done, yet ;)

Cheers for embedding it Mike it means I don't have to agree with that wetwipe Matt :)

Its a great video isn't it makes you think and if it was compulsory like the lady suggests I wonder how many mindsets would change, it's got me looking online at companies that do it tbh, interesting stuff

Edited by EFC-Paul

Cheers for embedding it Mike it means I don't have to agree with that wetwipe Matt :)

Its a great video isn't it makes you think and if it was compulsory like the lady suggests I wonder how many mindsets would change, it's got me looking online at companies that do it tbh, interesting stuff

:shaking fist: I'm on my phone too!

That's ok too, Mike and I are pretty much in full agreement ;)

It's been said before but the biggest problem now is that "out" never expected to win; they were hoping to get close and have their eurospectic credentials validated to a degree. Now they've won they're clueless what to do and the two main parties are in complete disarray.

I'm moving to Syria next Thursday; it's more stable over there.

Mike, I think there is some confusion here. 'Out' aren't the Government. The currently elected government called the referendum. They had the responsibility to consider a Brexit win and draw up contingency plans accordingly. If they haven't it is a monumental dereliction of duty. If they haven't then Cameron isn't resigning, he is running away.

Edited by johnh

Mike, I think there is some confusion here. 'Out' aren't the Government. The currently elected government called the referendum. They had the responsibility to consider a Brexit win and draw up contingency plans accordingly. If they haven't it is a monumental dereliction of duty. If they haven't then Cameron isn't resigning, he is running away.

No confusion John. I agree with all of that, Cameron said he'd start the process the next morning in the event of out winning, no doubt whatsoever he's running away; but maybe Boris and his gang should have anticipated that? Not rocket science, it was always going to happen following an out vote.

No confusion John. I agree with all of that, Cameron said he'd start the process the next morning in the event of out winning, no doubt whatsoever he's running away; but maybe Boris and his gang should have anticipated that? Not rocket science, it was always going to happen following an out vote.

Personally, I think commentators are completely misinterpreting the situation. The Leave vote was, in essence, a vote against political union. I know of very few people who don't wish to be a part of the original economic union. The very real threat of invoking Clause 50 will prompt voters in other countries, who are similarly upset with the current move toward a super-state, to follow suit. This would put the very existence of the EU at stake. So now we're in a high-stakes poker game. Will the EU leadership be willing to swallow its pride, put aside it's supranational ambitions, and separate economic union from political union? If they do so, the entire crisis would be resolved in a single fell swoop.

And for those who don't believe there's a big time drive toward a United States of Europe, why else would there be such an insistence on, and even promotion of, mass population migrations? Russia moved millions of its citizens to Soviet satellite countries for just this reason. It backfired big time and, among other things, left us with the current crisis in Ukraine.

Boris struggles to tie his laces, no way he had the intelligence to predict that. A brilliant cowards way out from Cameron

Curious on how Europeans see us now? So am I.

If you live outside the UK what do you think?

Oh and the poll votes are still changing on this thread. :dont know:

I get the sentiment that the Brexit has given pro-EU voices a boost (reading French, Dutch and Belgian newspapers (not something I usually do but the Brexit thing has got my head spinning looking for every bit of information out there), see Peter H comment about Sweden, Podemos losing in Spain, ..).

Media are highlighting:

- the google thing (what is EU? on the 24th of june),

- the fact that so many British citizens regret their vote for leave/didn't think it was actually going to happen, (not sure this is true for a significant number of Brits, but it is being reported like that)

- huge coverage is given to the vandalism to the Polish cultural center in London and to the messages left in the mailbox of some polish families with the words "Polish vermin" written on them.

- this morning on the radio they were talking about how soon the banks would be leaving London

.. in essence: nothing positive about the Brexit.

I heard a guy at my local tennis club (who knows jack shit about anything) say that article 50 should be invoked right now so England can be thrown out of Euro 2016.. maybe anti-EU is turning into anti-UK for the dumbest among us.

Instead of the anti-EU parties, it seems politicians who say they're going to be tough on Britain will now get the populist vote.

Edited by holystove