IGNORED

William Carvalho

12 hours ago, Haiku said:

He's not a mobile player. Slow but solid defensive midfielder with vision on how to set up an attack. Think of Gareth Barry while he was playing for us, but younger. Also reminds me of Yaya Toure in his later years. I don't know if we need him though.

That exactly what I was thinking when watching him last night. Only problem is it was the over the hill, lazy bastardo version of him minus the shooting ability

4 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

Koeman was Dutch and immediately brought in Dutch players. I really hope we’re not going to be biased toward Portuguese players. We need the best blended team, not players with whom the manager has worked in the past. 

I’m optimistic though because building a team is Brand’s role. 

Did he? Klaasen arrived after a year. Cuco came after a year.

Who else is Dutch? I don't think there was any sort of drastic bias towards Dutch players. Not that I can think of anyway.

21 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

Koeman was Dutch and immediately brought in Dutch players. I really hope we’re not going to be biased toward Portuguese players. We need the best blended team, not players with whom the manager has worked in the past. 

I’m optimistic though because building a team is Brand’s role. 

2 dutch players makes him biased?  martinez bought 2 spaniards is your golden boy just as biased?  he bought a good amount of spanish speakers alcaraz, funes mori, leandro rodriguez, etc.  if anything your man was more biased.

24 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

2 dutch players makes him biased?  martinez bought 2 spaniards is your golden boy just as biased?  he bought a good amount of spanish speakers alcaraz, funes mori, leandro rodriguez, etc.  if anything your man was more biased.

We had no Dutch players, and then we had three. Of course, we shouldn't object when those players are top-notch, but Stekelenburg and Martina? Really?

25 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

Alcaraz is Paraguayan.  Funes Mori is Argentinian. Rodriguez is Uruguayan. You're only a few thousand miles out. :)

3 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

Alcaraz is Paraguayan.  Funes Mori is Argentinian. Rodriguez is Uruguayan. You're only a few thousand miles out. :)

Read it again, I said Spanish speakers.  I know they aren’t Spaniards.

regardless your logic is flawed.  Portugal and Brazil produce some of the best players in the world, I’ll gladly have a team of them.

2 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

so when we play city liverpool chelsea etc it will be ok for him to be mediocre?   no thanks.  honestly save the money and get a LB. 

Not at all, but when you play against some of the best players in the world it’s not exactly easy to stand out. 

14 minutes ago, rubecula said:

we get no idea on what he was told to do by the manager anyway, if we get him on a free as suggested by the Echo, I will be happy to give him a try.  If he is no good it will be easy to sell him on (I hope)

This is the thing...its never a 'free'!!!

The players gets an over the top wage - tough to move on if he's no good. Plus a nice exaggerated signing on fee. Not to mention the agents fee....

Be good to watch him over the coming games, I'm sure he has more to offer than that.

37 minutes ago, c1982 said:

It’s great how people can write him off after watching him once against arguably the best team in the world. My guess is that our scouts and recruitment team have done their research and if they see something there, I’ll give it my full support.

Not writting him off just saying he was poor in that game and looked as though he offers no more than what we already have.

No point being bumhurt over a player that is not even ours!!!

The funny thing is though...if he has an outstanding tournament...reality says he ain't coming to us. So if Silva and Brands do like him, they kind of need him to not stand out too much. So that is going well so far!!!

2 hours ago, c1982 said:

It’s great how people can write him off after watching him once against arguably the best team in the world. My guess is that our scouts and recruitment team have done their research and if they see something there, I’ll give it my full support.

I would never scout a player based on form in a big tournament because certain players seem to raise their game and just happen to fit into the national team and then others arent played to suit their best attributes because an idiot manager tries to get as many of his best players into the same side. 

He is a big strong dominant central midfielder and Silva has worked with him before. I personally would like to see a bit more from a player in that role but we are crying out for physicality in that area so if thats the player they want for that role then its not like they wont know what they are getting.

34 minutes ago, Bailey said:

He is a big strong dominant central midfielder and Silva has worked with him before. I personally would like to see a bit more from a player in that role but we are crying out for physicality in that area so if thats the player they want for that role then its not like they wont know what they are getting.

Exactly, we’ve hopefully got in Brands, Silva, etc. people who have a clear vision of what they want for EFC - if Carvalho is part of this vision then I’ll be optimistic based on the positives I’ve seen and the fact that there’s previous relationships there so Silva will know character, etc.

15 minutes ago, nogs said:

Been crap again today. Portugal have been crap again, so negative. Carvalho would have done well under Allardyce, but nothing I've seen in two games makes me think he'd improve us. And bear in mind I can't stand Schneiderlin. 

Yeah but he was up against Moroccos midfield. And the commentators didn't notice him so that means he was doing his job. And he must have been instructed to play that way so he did. And....

😉

Just joking chaps, just joking.....

10 minutes ago, Newty82 said:

Yeah but he was up against Moroccos midfield. And the commentators didn't notice him so that means he was doing his job. And he must have been instructed to play that way so he did. And....

😉

Just joking chaps, just joking.....

If he think those Sporting Lisbon fans are bad, god help him if he turns up at Goodison playing like that!