IGNORED

Weirdness Abounds (or the Idrissa Gana Gueye Thread)

33 minutes ago, pete0 said:

Midfield destroyer is very apt, he's fucking ruined ours for the past 3 seasons. 

You're being sarcastic but it's true. You can make Niasse look like the best striker in the league based on stats last year. 

Article is purely on stats. Ambitious forward pass is not something you'd associate with Gana. One of the top forward passes? The pass maps show otherwise. 

So now we’re disagreeing with facts. Fun.

6 minutes ago, nyblue23 said:

So now we’re disagreeing with facts. Fun.

http://www.evertonfc.com/fixtures/2010-to-2019/2018-2019/english-premier-league/southampton-vs-everton/match

Click stats, then scroll down to the chalkboard. Check out Gana's passing. We moan Sigurdssen doesn't get on the ball enough yet looking at that pass map Gana has made one forward towards his area of the pitch. Other than that all the 'forward' passes are in his own half or outwide. I largely suspect the stats they used must consider forwards as any pass in 180°, for me a forward pass would be at least 45°. 

1 hour ago, pete0 said:

You're being sarcastic but it's true. You can make Niasse look like the best striker in the league based on stats last year. 

Article is purely on stats. Ambitious forward pass is not something you'd associate with Gana. One of the top forward passes? The pass maps show otherwise. 

I certainly was not being sarcastic. How rude.

I'm deeply offended.

Oh crikey...Not only have you nagged me to conversion on Gana, you've also turned me into a soft snowflake tree hugging hard leftie.

On 29/01/2019 at 22:10, pete0 said:

Today we'd have lost with him. Davies helped create the goal and was solid when we went down to 10 men holding the line in midfield and always giving an option. Whereas Gana offers feck all going forward and would've crumbled when we went down to 10 men as he can't hold position. Even if he doesn't go I'm still happy PSG come rocked the boat, we're 3 points better off for it at worst. 

Just to move this back into the right thread Pete - your claim that Gana isnt a DM is utter nonsense because, as you point out, he doesn't offer much going forward. His job, his strength, the reason a CL team is looking to pay £25m odd for him, is tackling, interceptions, breaking up play. You imply that what qualifies you as a DM is how deep you sit. That's nonsense for two reasons. Roberto Carlos and Cafu were still full backs even though they spent half their careers in the opposition half. Henry was still a striker even though he loved drifting out to left. Its about roles as much as which 20ft sq of the pitch you occupy. And secondly, the position maps you love to use to illustrate your own criticisms of Gana clearly show he spends most of games in his own half. So yeah - absolute nonsense. 

49 minutes ago, nogs said:

Just to move this back into the right thread Pete - your claim that Gana isnt a DM is utter nonsense because, as you point out, he doesn't offer much going forward. His job, his strength, the reason a CL team is looking to pay £25m odd for him, is tackling, interceptions, breaking up play. You imply that what qualifies you as a DM is how deep you sit. That's nonsense for two reasons. Roberto Carlos and Cafu were still full backs even though they spent half their careers in the opposition half. Henry was still a striker even though he loved drifting out to left. Its about roles as much as which 20ft sq of the pitch you occupy. And secondly, the position maps you love to use to illustrate your own criticisms of Gana clearly show he spends most of games in his own half. So yeah - absolute nonsense. 

Carlos and Cafu were wing backs. Fullbacks don't get forward as much. 

So what was the role of the others next to him? When they collect the ball from defence what is Gana's job in midfield? 

The maps show Gomes and Gana overlapping in the same position. They show Schneiderlin further back. I've not checked Barry but I assume he'd be sitting further back too. 

1 minute ago, pete0 said:

So what was the role of the others next to him? When they collect the ball from defence what is Gana's job in midfield? 

The maps show Gomes and Gana overlapping in the same position. They show Schneiderlin further back. I've not checked Barry but I assume he'd be sitting further back too. 

Baines, Coleman, Digne would disagree...

43 minutes ago, Matt said:

...in soccer...

Anyway, that article proves the point - it depends on the tactical setup. Considering we've played 4 at the back for decades 99% of the time, I'll stick with full backs

Modern soccer being a key point. It was more clear a decade ago when full backs would overlap less and not risk staying forward. 

In our current set up I'd say Digne plays more a wingback role and Coleman a fullback. 

1 minute ago, StevO said:

Fuck me, wing back, full back, it’s just the same. In the real world anyone think there is a single manager out there going “I need to buy some wing backs as I’ve only got full backs!” No, because it’s the same!

lets all have a chat about CDMs and AMs and number tens and false nines, all bollocks! 

Stop playing FIFA and experience the world outside. 

If football was that simply managers wouldn't be paid millions. 

Would you say Sigurdssen plays the same position as Gomes? 

1 minute ago, pete0 said:

If football was that simply managers wouldn't be paid millions. 

Would you say Sigurdssen plays the same position as Gomes? 

It’s the same as when the papers used to say we played 4231 or 4141 or 451.

Then Koeman said “we always play 433, football is not a complicated game”. 

You can look at Sigurdsson in two ways for me, is he playing as a second forward or a third midfielder. Take your pick. 

Fuck it, he can be an inside forward playmaking creator. He is a classic IFPC. 

2 hours ago, pete0 said:

We play two deep lying midfielders and have done for years. 

1 hour ago, nogs said:

We play two deep lying midfielders and have done for years. 

Gana isn'tt deep lying. No team in the league plays with two deep midfielders. One collects out from the back four the other links midfield to attack. Tbf Gana does neither. 

Who else plays with two sitters in the league? It's just not something any team does as you'd never get forward. 

Gomes drops to collect the ball. What should Gana be doing in that phase? 

I do actually see one way Gana might actually hold us back and that’s because he’s so good at what he does the manager doesn’t think of an alternative. Maybe him not playing will force a little creativity in tactics but that’s more a criticism of the managers than the player I guess 

40 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

I’m so happy that we get to keep this thread going until at least the summer , pure comedy gold!

I agree with you dang it be entertaining and light hearted, just a shame the football in midfield is going to remain shit😂😂😂👍 that’s comedy gold dink. 

46 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

How about this one

Yeah but that's all because he's out if position. If he was in position, he wouldn't have to do any of that. The ball would just come to him. Or something. Pete can explain better than me, I'm a newbie to the Gana debate 😉

1 hour ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

How about this one

Again, must be all made up. Unless I see it in black and white it’s false.... err ok... unless I see it in colour and factual, it’s false....oh, ok.... unless I see it tailing an aeroplane across Goodison Park on a match day then it’s false!

Hah, your inability to do that means that I must right!

55 minutes ago, Bill said:

I reckon the reasoning behind those great stats is probable because he's better at his job than everyone else. 😎

GET OUT!

Go in, get out of our thread. Talking football and shot in our thread, how dare you. Your probably one of the se guys that watches football and stuff. 

That shit doesn’t translate onto Xbox’s ( and PlayStations, sorry Bailey ) you know. Take your real life crap back to the other threads and leave us dreamers so argue our daydreams and unicorns in peace!