IGNORED

Weirdness Abounds (or the Idrissa Gana Gueye Thread)

"He has not been named in the matchday 18 at the John Smith’s Stadium and speculation over a move to PSG has now only intensified but Everton say Gueye has a small injury issue" 

Can't stand that.dont patronise the fans it's blatant why he's not in the squad. Lies

Today we'd have lost with him. Davies helped create the goal and was solid when we went down to 10 men holding the line in midfield and always giving an option. Whereas Gana offers feck all going forward and would've crumbled when we went down to 10 men as he can't hold position. Even if he doesn't go I'm still happy PSG come rocked the boat, we're 3 points better off for it at worst. 

1 minute ago, Bailey said:

I was expecting more tbh 😂

Imagine if we actually looked like a better team against Huddersfield field though! Then surly the argument that Gana makes us awful would at least be able to be taken seriously! We grinded out a result which against almost any other team in the league we wouldn't have got. Nothing to do with the absence of Gana. 

2 minutes ago, Aidan said:

Imagine if we actually looked like a better team against Huddersfield field though! Then surly the argument that Gana makes us awful would at least be able to be taken seriously! We grinded out a result which against almost any other team in the league we wouldn't have got. Nothing to do with the absence of Gana. 

Well we did do what we havent been able to do recently, including against Millwall. It was a more disciplined and more organised performance even if the quality wasnt high. With 11 men, their expected goals was less than 0.5 and was still less than 0.8 after 90 minutes. Even against crap sides we have given them an opportunity whether it be a set piece or open play. 

Whether it was Gana is open to debate. I dont think it was BUT there isnt much doubt in my eyes that we set up that was because Gana wasnt available. If Gana had filled the role Gomes played we would have played equally as well (or badly depending on your view of the game) IMO but I doubt we would have played that way in the first place.

10 minutes ago, Aidan said:

Totally agree don’t think Huddersfield have had that many attempts at goal in a single match all season have they. They are useless though. We have played possibly the worst team in the division and hung on for for three points.

It screams that what we have at the moment is t good enough. Time for Brands to show what he is made off.

10 minutes ago, Aidan said:

The player that replaced Gana showed up tonight and showed us what we are missing with Gana in the team, a couple more games without Gana will improve us no end, and allow Davies to be more match ready.

4 minutes ago, Shukes said:

Totally agree don’t think Huddersfield have had that many attempts at goal in a single match all season have they. They are useless though. We have played possibly the worst team in the division and hung on for for three points.

It screams that what we have at the moment is t good enough. Time for Brands to show what he is made off.

Shots dont mean anything. They tell you nothing about the chance. Huddersfield were expected to score less goals against us even with 10 men for 25 mins than against City, Utd, Bournemouth or West Ham. 

They became a threat when Digne fucked up and got himself sent off and even then it was really just 1 or 2 shots. Before that they were expected to score less than half a goal. 

Your right they tell you nothing about the chance. Watching it though you saw they had three headers no more than six yards out. There own players ya Klee themselves on our penalty spot and they played through us with ease.

I understand the reason your playing their chances down I really do. But there’s no need. Gana is pretty much gone and we have to accept that, I already have, and have moved on.

But I would suggest that last night showed us, that we are really weak in the middle now. Huddersfield are the worst team on the league, but dominated us in midfield. They created chances against us, and with better players would have been more dangerous. 

Mid you think Davies is the answer and that midfield was good enough, then that’s fine. But for me, it’s nowhere near good enough. Scraping through against the bottom team just isn’t good enough for me. I want and expect more from the pool of players we have. 

What’s this expected to score bollocks you keep spouting by the way haha. Get off your Xbox man. There’s fresh air and real life out there haha.

Man City were expected to score more against Newcastle, but they didn’t..... means nothing.

I mean that seriously by the way.... what is it haha.

3 hours ago, Shukes said:

Your right they tell you nothing about the chance. Watching it though you saw they had three headers no more than six yards out. There own players ya Klee themselves on our penalty spot and they played through us with ease.

I understand the reason your playing their chances down I really do. But there’s no need. Gana is pretty much gone and we have to accept that, I already have, and have moved on.

But I would suggest that last night showed us, that we are really weak in the middle now. Huddersfield are the worst team on the league, but dominated us in midfield. They created chances against us, and with better players would have been more dangerous. 

Mid you think Davies is the answer and that midfield was good enough, then that’s fine. But for me, it’s nowhere near good enough. Scraping through against the bottom team just isn’t good enough for me. I want and expect more from the pool of players we have. 

Shukes are you seriously saying we haven't been weak in the middle till last night because if you are don't worry about going out for fresh air mate to late your already clinically brain dead😉.

I would say no worse or no better but I felt Davies all round game was better than what Gana's been given us and if he can get a run maybe he and Gomes can form some understanding and work well together, because I've said it before on paper as individuals our midfield should be good but the reality is it isn'tt more because they don't play together as a unit, and Gana's had more game time than anyone within different combinations and we haven't improved, so hopefully without him we might because no matter how hard we try with him it isn'tt working as a team.

Also Gylfi as to do a bit more of the donkey work when we lose the ball he needs to help the other two midfielders and do his share of the defending and winning it back, I think Bernard would be very capable of playing that position and would like to sea him get the opportunity he was wasted out on the right hardly got into the game.

Fucking hell that was some undiluted shite after a couple of days away....

Anyway, as I said in the Twitter rumour thread... If PSG were to through Munier and £20m, I'd take that even without a replacement for the rest of the season. It would be a gamble, but we've got enough quality to not slip too far down and might as well take advantage of the increased January rates to squeeze every penny out of the deal.

Everton have accepted a £26m bid from Paris Saint-Germain for defensive midfielder Idrissa Gueye, but the two parties are yet to agree on how the deal will be structured in terms of instalments, according to reports in France.

Yahoo France report that Gueye is keen to make the switch to PSG this month.

Meanwhile, RMC report that PSG face competition for Gueye's signature, with Premier League teams interested in the 29-year-old former Aston Villa man.

22 minutes ago, Matt said:

Fucking hell that was some undiluted shite after a couple of days away....

Anyway, as I said in the Twitter rumour thread... If PSG were to through Munier and £20m, I'd take that even without a replacement for the rest of the season. It would be a gamble, but we've got enough quality to not slip too far down and might as well take advantage of the increased January rates to squeeze every penny out of the deal.

Never a dull moment mate I'd go along with that not because I don't think he's not worth more but because he's asked to be able to leave, and if he doesn't get his wish what are we going to be left with in the way of attitude going forward.

5 hours ago, Shukes said:

Those chances you mentioned werent easy to score from. The header Pickford saved was a great header and it still didnt go in.

I also strongly dont agree that they dominated us in midfield. First half they had nothing of any quality. We pressed onto them a lot more and made it difficult for them to pass out with any control. Second half we sat back and let them have it a lot more and we were trying to play on the counter, albeit without much of our own quality. Our 3 slow and not very mobile midfielders were starting to feel the pinch too. If I was designing a midfield, it wouldnt be those 3 but we are where we are.

Expecting more is great but we are in a bad patch and we just need to be solid and pick up points. If we had played like that more this season, especially with Gana, we would have conceeded less goals.

5 hours ago, Shukes said:

What’s this expected to score bollocks you keep spouting by the way haha. Get off your Xbox man. There’s fresh air and real life out there haha.

Man City were expected to score more against Newcastle, but they didn’t..... means nothing.

I mean that seriously by the way.... what is it haha.

Get in right Shukes, Im a playstation man ;)

Expected goals are the sum of goals expected based on the quality of the shots and their position to goal expressed as a percentage. If you remember Vardy's goal the other week, the average PL player puts that chance away 33% of the time on their non-dominant foot. 

Their best chance was the header which is expected to be scored every 0.26 times. As a team they were expected to score 0.74 goals based on their chances. Prior to the sending off they were on 0.25. 

As a comparison In the home leg they were expected to score 0.66 goals and we were actually expected to score less than we did yesterday. I told you it was progress! 😂

Ahh I see. Baffles me how football is turning into a chess game rather than a full contact sport. 

I think we both saw the game differently, but are also pointing out the same point. That midfield didn’t work, or rather it did, but not by design, and that you wouldn’t pick it as a first choice midfield. That’s all I’m trying to say really. More Han happy with a clean sheet and points, but I would worry if we had to face Wolves with that team, and more to the point, formation. 

I would much rather have saw Lookman out wide and Bernard as the more forward playing mid. And that’s not to discredit Davies, who I think grabbed his chance. We just lacked creativity of any level. 

3 hours ago, Shukes said:

Ahh I see. Baffles me how football is turning into a chess game rather than a full contact sport. 

I think we both saw the game differently, but are also pointing out the same point. That midfield didn’t work, or rather it did, but not by design, and that you wouldn’t pick it as a first choice midfield. That’s all I’m trying to say really. More Han happy with a clean sheet and points, but I would worry if we had to face Wolves with that team, and more to the point, formation. 

I would much rather have saw Lookman out wide and Bernard as the more forward playing mid. And that’s not to discredit Davies, who I think grabbed his chance. We just lacked creativity of any level. 

Yes and no 😂

I still dont think Bernard would cut it centrally especially how Davies played. Bernard messed up quite a lot of easy passes yesterday which would have given us overlaps and lets be honest, its not an uncommon thing. Even late on he had an easy through ball to Richie to be 1 v 1 with the keeper and he pushed him to wide allowing the defenders to get back.

At this stage of our season, I would prefer graft over guile in the middle but I would happily rotate Lookman, Richarlison and Bernard down the wings. They all add something different.

50 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Midfield destroyer is very apt, he's fucking ruined ours for the past 3 seasons. 

16 minutes ago, Newty82 said:

Doesn't win possession though. Or pass forward enough. Or get forward enough. Or get back enough. And he only tackles because he's out of position.

You're being sarcastic but it's true. You can make Niasse look like the best striker in the league based on stats last year. 

Article is purely on stats. Ambitious forward pass is not something you'd associate with Gana. One of the top forward passes? The pass maps show otherwise. 

26 minutes ago, pete0 said:

Midfield destroyer is very apt, he's fucking ruined ours for the past 3 seasons. 

You're being sarcastic but it's true. You can make Niasse look like the best striker in the league based on stats last year. 

Article is purely on stats. Ambitious forward pass is not something you'd associate with Gana. One of the top forward passes? The pass maps show otherwise. 

I know the shit some journalists write just to earn a buck.