IGNORED

Memphis Depay

They're paid to be productive on the field. If they can play at a high level and still smoke and drink, then that's their call. Or, if the manager likes to control that, then he can set up expectations. But, the players aren't slaves who must be monitored and regulated at all times, least of all by the media and fans. Their careers are primarily in their hands.

But they are under contract and as such "owned" by their clubs while under such a contract.

I get exactly where you are coming from and fundamentally I agree but if I was a club owner paying God knows how much I would want that "asset" to stay off the booze and fags.

A drop of booze here and there isn't a bad thing but fags are nothing but bad.

But they are under contract and as such "owned" by their clubs while under such a contract.

I get exactly where you are coming from and fundamentally I agree but if I was a club owner paying God knows how much I would want that "asset" to stay off the booze and fags.

A drop of booze here and there isn't a bad thing but fags are nothing but bad.

The club owns the contract, but not the human being.

And, I agree that players shouldn't be fucking around. But, unless the player is violating the club's policy, the manager's policy or a law, there isn't any problem until it affects their on-field product. And, in that event, this is a problem that (at least I feel) should be handled by the player, manager and club. The media doesn't have a stake in the player. The fans aren't there day-in-day-out at training or in the dressing room, and thus they don't know what's going on. This only becomes an issue for fans when people make a deal out of it publicly AND a player's form drops. Suddenly, it's all about their vices. We don't know for sure though. And, we can't.

If a player wants to be in top shape, then of course they shouldn't be fucking around. They should be keeping their nose clean. The club should have infrastructure and policies in place to ensure that their players don't fuck around and should apply sanctions when necessary. It needs to be codified and standardized in each club or perhaps even league-wide. Unless that's the case, players can do whatever they want, so long as they can still perform and get results.

Re your last paragraph I think clubs do have those aspects all in place and I suspect there is something in their contract. Didn't Arsenal fine Wilshere when he was caught?

I do agree that as long as performances don't drop then they should be able to do what they want (drink/smoke) but I can see the club's point of view too.

MOURINHO UNWILLING TO SANCTION LOANS

Man Utd manager Jose Mourinho has stated 'keeper Sam Johnstone will be the only player allowed to leave on loan.

"Sam Johnstone is the only player that I will allow to go on loan because he doesn't play one single minute, he needs to play," said Mourinho.

"We have a young goalkeeper in Joel [Pereira], a goalkeeper that played many minutes in the past six months in the Portuguese Premier League and now it's time for Sam to play six months.

"That's the only loan move that we are going to do."

- SSN

I doubt we will be in for Depay after this statement, unless his transfer fee is low, which is unlikely because it's January, and they spent £25-30 million on him.

Edited by AidanLewis

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11667/10712843/manchester-united-boss-jose-mourinho-says-memphis-depay-is-not-in-his-plans

On Depay's character, Mourinho says:

"He's a very good professional, is the only thing I can say. I know the public image is always influenced by some details of their private lives but the reality is that he is a very good professional, a very good boy.

He has a high level of education, super polite, super professional, and works really hard."

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11667/10712843/manchester-united-boss-jose-mourinho-says-memphis-depay-is-not-in-his-plans

On Depay's character, Mourinho says:

"He's a very good professional, is the only thing I can say. I know the public image is always influenced by some details of their private lives but the reality is that he is a very good professional, a very good boy.

He has a high level of education, super polite, super professional, and works really hard."

Mourinho would happily throw him under the bus if he was a tit so I'm inclined to believe him.

I would Defiantly Like to have Memphis Depay as toffee , I think Man U will regret wasting such a good talent. If there is anyone who knows how to work with Memphis it will be Koeman, Though I wish that they do their business very early in the window. I am just sad that he may not be with Delofeou cause i feel they would have been great alongside with Mirallas and Bolasie

I wouldn't. Lookman, in all likelihood, won't be going straight into the squad and certainly won't be in contention for starting. Depay would.

Isn't that exactly the opposite of the recent comments from the media? I thought the reason the deal was so high profile was because he's looked at as an immediate first teamer. It is a lot of money being talked about. I think there may be room for them both. A lack of Bolasie and Del means there are openings in the squad.

Isn't that exactly the opposite of the recent comments from the media? I thought the reason the deal was so high profile was because he's looked at as an immediate first teamer. It is a lot of money being talked about. I think there may be room for them both. A lack of Bolasie and Del means there are openings in the squad.

Hilghly-rated English youngster being talked up by the English media? Never thought I'd see the day!

Honestly, though, it would be best to keep him limited to the U-23s and the occasional sub appearance until he beds in. Putting too much on his shoulders, should he fail to miraculously make an immediate impact, could be devastating (all too often it is). He's done pretty well in League One, but to expect him to be able to produce in the Premier League is too much at the time. We're paying for his potential, in my mind.

Hilghly-rated English youngster being talked up by the English media? Never thought I'd see the day!

Honestly, though, it would be best to keep him limited to the U-23s and the occasional sub appearance until he beds in. Putting too much on his shoulders, should he fail to miraculously make an immediate impact, could be devastating (all too often it is). He's done pretty well in League One, but to expect him to be able to produce in the Premier League is too much at the time. We're paying for his potential, in my mind.

On the other hand, Calvert-Lewin didn't even play League 1 and he's now in our first team squad. Lookman is expected to cost what, six times as much? So is it fair to expect him to be ready for the first team six times as fast?

Sent from my Fusion5 using Tapatalk

On the other hand, Calvert-Lewin didn't even play League 1 and he's now in our first team squad. Lookman is expected to cost what, six times as much? So is it fair to expect him to be ready for the first team six times as fast?

Sent from my Fusion5 using Tapatalk

I hear you. Our squad is thin. If we had another viable forward, he likely wouldn't be seeing the action he has seen. If our squad is still this thin (we get Lookman and no other winger), then we will probably see him play. I'm saying that this shouldn't be the case though and that it is unfair to the kid to place that amount of pressure on him.

Posted 03 Jan 2017 - 14:34

rumours of interest from Italy aswell here, hope we can pull this one off rough diamond Koeman can polish to come a great player.

I pray that we pull this one off too cause if AC MILAN is also knocking @ the door then we in deep trouble, I still dont understand why Gerad Deulofeu is fallen out of favour Koeman, I still feel that having combination of Kevin, Gerard Possiblity Of Memphis and a Fit Bolasie And prabably Lenon Moving to a more CAM role with Barkley would be a mean team.

Him and RVP came to blows? I've never seen him labelled as anything other than professional.

Players fight in training all the time, we just don't get to see it or hear about it. I won't be judging him on that anytime soon.

So he asked for a fancy apartment instead of a mansion. I complained last week that my new company car isn't as nice as my old one. Doesn't make me bad at my job.

Him and RVP came to blows? I've never seen him labelled as anything other than professional.

Players fight in training all the time, we just don't get to see it or hear about it. I won't be judging him on that anytime soon.

So he asked for a fancy apartment instead of a mansion. I complained last week that my new company car isn't as nice as my old one. Doesn't make me bad at my job.

exactly

His missus makes him wear jackets with her face on the back of it, nothing to do with his footballing abilities mind, just thought I'd point out this useless information.

whats wrong with that, I thought everyone done that so my wife said anyway :leggit:

Edited by scouse