IGNORED

Manchester City (Away) Monday August 21st

markjazzbassist

There wasn't anyone who stood out in the midfield for me, they treated the ball like a bomb as soon as it came to them they hoofed it up the pitch in the hope DCL or Rooney would get on the end of it, and all that happened was we handed possession straight back to them, the only time we really kept the ball down and played it around lead to our goal, thought Pickford and the defence particularly Jags were outstanding they kept us in the game, we were set up to defend with that line up we were never going to take the game to them, was it the right tactic the result says it was, but with the amount of chances they squandered we could have just as easily lost 5-1.

That sort of game will be great for team spirit everyone fighting for each other and coming away with a result, when your expected to be the losers, that breeds believe and confidence and that one game could mean so much to our season.

Am I happy to right I am.

Indeed, our midfield seems weaker as compared to last season.They seem like a weak link...somehow, maybe we need another commanding holding midfiedler.... our current midfield was not able to string 5-10 passes together in a game over last few games, instead we have been chasing shadows...

Yesterday to the 4-0 at Goodison with Davies and Barry controlling the midfield is miles apart. Schneiderlin and Gana looked second next to Allen and Fletcher play week as well.

As a pairing they'd be mid-table.

Re-watched this game last night.

The first half was a very even match, for most chances or balls across the box that City created in the first half, Everton were up the pitch attacking, creating chances in reply. With an impressive high press at times. Marking was 1 on 1 around the pitch, aside from our back 3 and one of Gueye or Schneiderlin depending on where the ball/players were.

Everton looked very impressive.

City had a 5 minute spell of good chances created, then Everton went up the other end and scored.

The second half Everton dropped off slightly on tight 1-1 marking, the intensity seemed to drop out of the press, possibly Everton were slightly more zonal in there marking.

A few less passes stuck to DCL and Rooney as Everton tried to move up the pitch similarly to the first half for the first 20mins, another striker with fresh legs could have helped here.

Instead we had Thor and Klaasen come on, but unfortunately Everton still struggled to make possebesion stick for decent periods.

Watching the game without the emotion of the result to think about, Everton were impressive and took the game to City from the kick off, Very excited for the team that is building.

Re-watched this game last night.

The first half was a very even match, for most chances or balls across the box that City created in the first half, Everton were up the pitch attacking, creating chances in reply. With an impressive high press at times. Marking was 1 on 1 around the pitch, aside from our back 3 and one of Gueye or Schneiderlin depending on where the ball/players were.

Everton looked very impressive.

City had a 5 minute spell of good chances created, then Everton went up the other end and scored.

The second half Everton dropped off slightly on tight 1-1 marking, the intensity seemed to drop out of the press, possibly Everton were slightly more zonal in there marking.

A few less passes stuck to DCL and Rooney as Everton tried to move up the pitch similarly to the first half for the first 20mins, another striker with fresh legs could have helped here.

Instead we had Thor and Klaasen come on, but unfortunately Everton still struggled to make possebesion stick for decent periods.

Watching the game without the emotion of the result to think about, Everton were impressive and took the game to City from the kick off, Very excited for the team that is building.

Took the game to them? We only had three shots on target and they only had 10 men for second half.

Took the game to them? We only had three shots on target and they only had 10 men for second half.

Yes that's the statistics, I'm commenting on the tactical flow of how the game played out by watching the game. Not summarising it into a shots on target statistic.

On that stat, I thought a lot of City's shots on and off target had 1-2 defenders passing on the attacker to reduce the shooting angle, and and Pickford in excellent position to stop the shot. Our defence was very well organised, I was impressed.

***Edit***

To expand on that, I think this is where Koeman has drilled a lot of work into how Everton defend as a unit, You can't always stop a player, but you can move them to reduce the opportunity to score, I.e Chanel them to the corner rather than opening up the centre of the pitch, to limit the shooting angle with where your body is positioned between the ball and goal.

There looks to be good situational practice as well, when Pickford rushed out shut down a player on a tight angle, the shot was chipped, Everton had 2 defenders on the goal line who reacted to get to that position as soon as Pickford rushed out. This hasn't happen d by chance, it's been taught and practiced.

Great defending as a unit.

Edited by DavisJD

City looked better with 10, they played their asses off. Say what you want about them, but Aguero, Silva and Debruyne are a freaking nightmare of class and guile in the attacking half. That feels like 4-5 men there. Disappointed we didn't finish them, but Jesus, that's such a good squad. It's a point, I'll take it.

Thought it was a terrible dive myself. There was contact but only because Davies made it. It was like the penalties that Vardy "wins" all the time.

I thought it was legitimate contact, and it would have been difficult to avoid which was just made a meal of by the swan dive afterwards.

Id book players for doing that if I could.

Otamendi should get one for holding his face. Aguero should have been off for a second yellow. Can't believe he never got one for that shove on Jags. Other way round they'd be no hesitation from the ref.

Otamendi should get one for holding his face. Aguero should have been off for a second yellow. Can't believe he never got one for that shove on Jags. Other way round they'd be no hesitation from the ref.

I lost a lot of respect for Aguero Monday. Should've had a card or two for diving as well.