• Phil Jagielka
    • Leighton Baines
    • Muhamed Be?ić
    • Morgan Schneiderlin
    • Gylfi Sigurðsson
    • Dominic Calvert-Lewin
    • Wayne Rooney
    • Ademola Lookman

I still forgot to make votes "public" :doh:.

I haven't been here long so it's probably not my place to offer an opinion on this, but anyway - votes shouldn't be made public. Why should people feel pressure to explain or justify their choices for MOTM? There are people on this forum who take certain parts of football crazily seriously, and who get bent out of shape over opposing opinions. Why offer up yet another way for that to happen? I was sometimes the only person to vote for Rom last season, which drew responses of "what fucking idiot troll voted for Lukaku?", and I wasn't trolling, I had my own reasons for doing so based on the game I saw. But once those replies began, I stopped voting in the MOTM threads because it just wasn't worth pissing people off over something so trivial.

If people want to say who they voted for, then fine, but if not, why should it be public? You risk turning certain people off voting (I mean people who don't come here for the confrontational exhanges). Just my opinion. Great forum by the way.

Nobody's choice for motm should be laughed at.

Votes for Siggy could well be questioned, cos apart from his goal he looked like a little boy lost. Did very little in my view but we all see things differently.

Pretty much this.

I remember over the last few years that a certain striker would play shit but score in the 80 something minute, and i guarantee you he'd get a good amount of votes.

Each to their own in this thread...the one place where no ones decision should be questioned.

I haven't been here long so it's probably not my place to offer an opinion on this, but anyway - votes shouldn't be made public. Why should people feel pressure to explain or justify their choices for MOTM? There are people on this forum who take certain parts of football crazily seriously, and who get bent out of shape over opposing opinions. Why offer up yet another way for that to happen? I was sometimes the only person to vote for Rom last season, which drew responses of "what fucking idiot troll voted for Lukaku?", and I wasn't trolling, I had my own reasons for doing so based on the game I saw. But once those replies began, I stopped voting in the MOTM threads because it just wasn't worth pissing people off over something so trivial.

If people want to say who they voted for, then fine, but if not, why should it be public? You risk turning certain people off voting (I mean people who don't come here for the confrontational exhanges). Just my opinion. Great forum by the way.

Valid point and your opinion is worth just as much as anyone's irrespective of time on here. It was just decided at the end of last season (after a request/discussion) to make the vote public for a trial period; if it causes grief and abuse then we'll go back to private.

I know in this case your method would work in my favour, but for me if you're not willing to justify your vote you shouldn't have one.

I know in this case your method would work in my favour, but for me if you're not willing to justify your vote you shouldn't have one.

Do you feel the same way about voting in political elections? Because if so, to whom must I be "willing to justify" my vote?

Why can a person not simply have an opinion on something and prefer to keep his reasoning to himself?

Do you feel the same way about voting in political elections? Because if so, to whom must I be "willing to justify" my vote?

Why can a person not simply have an opinion on something and prefer to keep his reasoning to himself?

It's just a game :).

Totally agree with you. I will always explain my vote or discuss with anyone the reasons why. But it shouldn't make people uncomfortable to vote.

Mike, you'll never win. If you change it back you'll have someone bitching about that.

No problem Mark, if that happens we'll just go into the secret room on the forum (where the naked women are) and make a decision. No VOTEXIT debate, this place is not a democracy :lol:.

Weird game football- I thought both our cdms were poor last night and Morgan in particular looked off the pace to me.

Your right there Pad there's no rhyme or reason for how we see things so differently, but that's what makes our debate on this so good, until it descends into personally abuse.

Anyway your wrong Schneiderlin and Besic played a blinder lol.

Because of you can't explain your vote or if it is a racist reason etc you shouldn't have one.

Because of you can't explain your vote or if it is a racist reason etc you shouldn't have one.

So 1) again, using this logic do you think all political votes should be made public, so we can weed out the racists and other people who 'voted wrong', and 2) what to do with people who can explain their vote but simply don't feel the desire or need to?

So 1) again, using this logic do you think all political votes should be made public, so we can weed out the racists and other people who 'voted wrong', and 2) what to do with people who can explain their vote but simply don't feel the desire or need to?

The reason people don't want to explain their vote is because of other weasels who want to tell them they're wrong when I'm fact they also have no idea if their choice is better or not,mainly because most parties are full of utter shite.

You have an opinion, express it if you want and if someone tells you to justify it don't, because their opinion means as much to you as yours does to them

The reason people don't want to explain their vote is because of other weasels who want to tell them they're wrong when I'm fact they also have no idea if their choice is better or not,mainly because most parties are full of utter shite.

You have an opinion, express it if you want and if someone tells you to justify it don't, because their opinion means as much to you as yours does to them

Well written. I'm also very wary of pete0's idea that people with 'racist' views shouldn't have a vote. Not because racism is acceptable but because how else are you to gauge how fucked up your country is in danger of becoming if not by seeing the alarming popularity of racist parties? But, as implied, those issues probably aren't for this thread so I'll leave it at this.

Valid point and your opinion is worth just as much as anyone's irrespective of time on here. It was just decided at the end of last season (after a request/discussion) to make the vote public for a trial period; if it causes grief and abuse then we'll go back to private

When I post I generally name and give a reason, I know my opinion is going to be completely different to some I am also aware that I will on occasions be challenged for my view, which is great if done in the right way it adds to the experience of the forum.

I have also been ridiculed, that has never bothered me, but it may to some people, now I have read post where people have kicked off with comments like who fucking voted for bla bla if there not going to take it seriously they can fuck off, something along them lines.

If people choose to not make their vote public what is wrong with that, and by publishing everyone's vote what do you hope to achieve and what is the benefit if you are going to disenfranchise some people who won't be able to participate because they would rather keep their vote private, as to not be criticised for their selection.

When I post I generally name and give a reason, I know my opinion is going to be completely different to some I am also aware that I will on occasions be challenged for my view, which is great if done in the right way it adds to the experience of the forum.

I have also been ridiculed, that has never bothered me, but it may to some people, now I have read post where people have kicked off with comments like who fucking voted for bla bla if there not going to take it seriously they can fuck off, something along them lines.

If people choose to not make their vote public what is wrong with that, and by publishing everyone's vote what do you hope to achieve and what is the benefit if you are going to disenfranchise some people who won't be able to participate because they would rather keep their vote private, as to not be criticised for their selection.

Also fair enough, but if you don't want to be challenged then just make your vote and don't revisit the thread.

Have a situation at home where my wife has an issue with a neighbour (obnoxious woman) and she says she keeps getting "dirty looks". Simple solution: don't look at her! One of my daughters said the same thing last week but I just say to them if you don't look you don't engage so however they look at you is meaningless, if you respond you're playing their game. If you catch a glimpse by accident laugh at them. Don't invite then into your life.

Bit off topic and raw for me that, sorry :unsure:.

Also fair enough, but if you don't want to be challenged then just make your vote and don't revisit the thread.

You didn't phrase this as a question but I'll treat it as one anyway, and I promise you it'll be my last word on this subject: the answer is that the many discussion threads on here exist for people to express their opinions and have them "challenged". That's what discussion threads are for. Whereas polls, in any facet of life, do not exist for that reason. A poll is where people give their opinion or vote without the expectation of having to explain or justify it. Historically, the reason for making polls and votes anonymous is to ensure a higher degree of accuracy when it comes to what people actually think.

It's a very minor thing ("just a game" as you wrote earlier), but since you're the admin of the site, I suppose you won't mind some user feedback, and that's all I'm doing here. There are a couple of extremely tense, abrasive, belligerent posters on here who tend to turn many threads into tedious online slanging matches, and if my memory serves it was an appeasement to them, and their desire to know which "fucking idiot troll" voted for whom, that you made the decision to switch to public votes. Do so if you want, it's your site, but anyway these have been my thoughts on it. I give it two or three poll rounds before the usual suspects start demanding PMs to confirm fight arrangements.

Edited by Isaiah

You didn't phrase this as a question but I'll treat it as one anyway, and I promise you it'll be my last word on this subject: the answer is that the many discussion threads on here exist for people to express their opinions and have them "challenged". That's what discussion threads are for. Whereas polls, in any facet of life, do not exist for that reason. A poll is where people give their opinion or vote without the expectation of having to explain or justify it. Historically, the reason for making polls and votes anonymous is to ensure a higher degree of accuracy when it comes to what people actually think.

It's a very minor thing ("just a game" as you wrote earlier), but since you're the admin of the site, I suppose you won't mind some user feedback, and that's all I'm doing here. There are a couple of extremely tense, abrasive, belligerent posters on here who tend to turn many threads into tedious online slanging matches, and if my memory serves it was an appeasement to them, and their desire to know which "fucking idiot troll" voted for whom, that you made the decision to switch to public votes. Do so if you want, it's your site, but anyway these have been my thoughts on it. I give it two or three poll rounds before the usual suspects start demanding PMs to confirm fight arrangements.

Note taken.

Have a situation at home where my wife has an issue with a neighbour (obnoxious woman) and she says she keeps getting "dirty looks". Simple solution: don't look at her! One of my daughters said the same thing last week but I just say to them if you don't look you don't engage so however they look at you is meaningless, if you respond you're playing their game. If you catch a glimpse by accident laugh at them. Don't invite then into your life.

Bit off topic and raw for me that, sorry :unsure:.

Like I said Mike I'm not bothered what people say to me, but obviously Isaiah feels uncomfortable with that, so how do we benefit by knowing what people voted who don't want their choice to be general knowledge.

I just don't see why people would freak out about a vote so meaningless being made public. We're all posting in an internet forum about a football club; does anyone truly carry the illusion that their opinion matters or has any bearing on real life?

I recognize that is probably a futile question to ask, because we all have the gall and pride to think that our opinions are worthy of sharing with the public, but why post at all if you are afraid of justifying your opinions?

It's a goddamn poll about a player in a match in a season in a sport among hundreds of thousands of players in tens of thousands of matches in hundreds of seasons in lots of different sports.

Because some people troll and become abusive when people don't agree with their vote.

The question should be why do you need to know who voted for who as MotM.

Is abusive really the right word? I think we can safely say that aaron is not a troll, nor am I. Expressing incredulity at someone's opinion is different than sending them a threatening dm over an opinion. Anyone who does that should be permanently banned from this forum.

Is abusive really the right word? I think we can safely say that aaron is not a troll, nor am I. Expressing incredulity at someone's opinion is different than sending them a threatening dm over an opinion. Anyone who does that should be permanently banned from this forum.

I know you don't, but would you be that upset by not knowing who voted for who if some people chose to not make their selection general knowledge, now I like you choose to say who I voted for and why, but it doesn't bother me that some people don't want me to know their choice why would it, people should have a choice of whether to vote in secret or broadcast, what's the problem with that.

All votes should be public. That way, people like Donald Trump won't get elected.

Right, we need to bully and shame people into voting the 'right way', don't we?

Donald Trump was elected precisely because people tried every method to publicly bully, cajole, humiliate, intimidate and shame people into voting for Hillary. When pollsters accosted people in the street and asked them "Will you be voting for the racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic deplorable nationalist Donald Trump, or will you instead vote for Hillary Clinton?", people of course said "Err...fuck, I guess I'm voting for Hillary!" And therefore, every single poll predicted Hillary as a dead cert to win.

And what happened on election night? Those people voted for Trump. Why? Because even in America, the one place on the face of the entire planet where people can still feel free and safe to say what they really think is in the voting booth, because there is no braying and baying mob ready to tear them apart for their opinion.

At some point the media may actually realise what is plain to everyone paying attention: that hurling insults and bullying doesn't actually work in a proper democracy (not matter how much peteO may want to see people have their right to vote taken away if they dare to have an unpopular opinion).

Off topic, I know, and whatever. It's all just a game ;) COYB, etc.

Completely agree NYBLUE. If you don't like what someone says you can block them, it's the Internet ffs.

I don't see the point of seeking out an internet forum to give their view on a football game abd then being unhappy about someone challenging it. If you are that fragile then you need to suck it up and believe in yourself and your own judgment as otherwise noone else will. If someone challenges you and you think that they have a point, even better, because it shows that you understand people's arguments. Or if you think the person challenging you is full of shit either let them know or allow them to go on their merry deluded way.

You don't become a more rounded person by shying away in the corner too scared about what people think of you and your opinions.