IGNORED

Huddersfield (Home) Saturday December 2nd

markjazzbassist

2 hours ago, MikeO said:

It's actually written in the user guidelines, "Any member found not to be whinging for more than five successive posts will be issued a warning. If the offence is repeated twice in any calendar month s/he will get a one week suspension. Further infringements will result in a lifetime ban and public flogging carried out but the incumbent TT torturer (currently Rubes)."

MikeO,  there are actually two punishments.  One is flogging, which everyone chooses.  The other is Rubes reading the 5,000 word EU edict on cabbages - in Welsh.

25 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

:rofl: i can't wait to you meet me in real life, the stumbling drunk version of me you have set in your mind couldn't be farther from reality :)  

I mean you’ll trip over it because it’s sticking out so far because you have a cob on over Allardyce 😂

19 minutes ago, Paddock said:

I mean you’ll trip over it because it’s sticking out so far because you have a cob on over Allardyce 😂

Corn cob?  Corn cob pipe?  Hazelnut cob?

scouse slang is hilarious.  Cob, helmet, weapon, wool, German, your insults are just standard everyday language over here.  American insults are more vulgar you fucking douchebag

32 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

American insults are more vulgar you fucking douchebag

It amazes me playing cards online how much Americans use "nigger" or "nigga" (sorry but "the n word" carries much less weight); never hear it over here anymore. Why? Even if the target is from Japan or Russia or wherever when the chances of them being black are minimal it comes out.

20 minutes ago, MikeO said:

It amazes me playing cards online how much Americans use "nigger" or "nigga" (sorry but "the n word" carries much less weight); never hear it over here anymore. Why? Even if the target is from Japan or Russia or wherever when the chances of them being black are minimal it comes out.

yeah its something i've noticed on the forum and with my non-american friends.  generally non-americans insults are less cutting, vulgar, etc.  I guess americans just go to the lowest common denominator and go for it, or maybe our culture is less formal and so we can be uncouth.

4 minutes ago, Paddock said:

Cob on means you’re angry.

ha thanks.  i'll always hold the barm vs batch argument as a forum favorite.  scouse is something else :P

What I found most pleasing about yesterday was how determined we were to defend our goal.

We had players throwing themselves in front of the ball at every opportunity to stop Huddersfield scoring. If they were going to score then it wasn't going to be through a lack of trying from our players. 

There have been too many times this season when we've conceded and the only player trying to stop us from conceding was Pickford, while the other players in the vicinity just had an "ah shit" expression on their faces.

What’s people’s view on two clean sheets and the defencd that achieved them. I think overnight I can see more care in Ashley Williams and jokester has done well. Kenny has been immense both games and we don’t need cover for Seamus now.

Martina maybe unfairly I will always see as a squad player. But I hope we can give them a game in the derby now.

The defence has looked much more organised.

still a lot of nerves there, but they seem to recover and get on much faster. Kenny and Holgate are going to be there for a long time. Williams can do till the end of the season. Martina is a good stop gap, but not enough for us to progress.

I am hoping Keane comes good, but so far he has came across very weak, and a bit of a pushover to be honest.

Just watched the highlights (there werent many). In almost every bit of good play Lennon, DCL, Davies and Rooney were involved. At the back, bar one goal mouth scramble we didn' seem to be troubled at all.

All in all we looked a competent side. We weren't brilliant but we weren' passive either. It was very similar to the West Ham game.

On 12/2/2017 at 16:41, MikeO said:

When white people use that word they should be destroyed.

That said, we don't get away with saying 'cunt' like you lot do.

6 hours ago, Bailey said:

Just watched the highlights (there werent many). In almost every bit of good play Lennon, DCL, Davies and Rooney were involved. At the back, bar one goal mouth scramble we didn' seem to be troubled at all.

All in all we looked a competent side. We weren't brilliant but we weren' passive either. It was very similar to the West Ham game.

I don’t think they’ve scored an away goal yet all season or it may be for a certain amount of games but they are not the team to compare our defence to.

Edit- just checked they’ve scored 3 in 8 games. 

Double edit- how difficult is it to find an old style home and away gf ga table.

3 hours ago, nyblue23 said:

When white people use that word they should be destroyed.

That said, we don't get away with saying 'cunt' like you lot do.

I think the issue is black people referring to each other as nigger ... now they fought so long for equal rights etc and they are calling eachotger an offensive word that would see them go mad if a white person called them. Strange.

On 12/2/2017 at 17:41, MikeO said:

It isn’t that the word carries less weight in the US. In fact, it carries a TON of weight. There are two things I’d say are going on in this case. First, of course, American society is extremely racist. Racism doesn’t simply happen at an individual level. Rather, we Americans inhabit (and constantly reproduce) a racist world, even as we deny being personally racist. So, many people use the word “nigger” AS IF it carries no weight. But, the word actually does plenty of violence and supports a culture in which those who are victimized by this word (and the racist ideologies and structures of American society) can easily have their voices and feelings made irrelevant or silenced. Second, context is key. That means, it isn’t just the use of the word “nigger,” but HOW it is employed and to what ends. In a chat room or on XBox live (or the PS network or whatever), often the word is used as a way of asserting one’s dominance or control, even if it seems like a throwaway or filler word. In other words, using the word “nigger” means showing one’s brazenness or non-chalant coolness. On the other hand, it can be used directly, as a way of pointedly putting someone down, even if they aren’t black. The point is that this word is quite often a way of demeaning others and supporting one’s supremacy and control over others (even if they themselves are not white or their target—should they have one—is not black). 

Looking at it again, maybe I read your statement wrong and assumed that you meant you thought “nigger” must carry less weight in the US. I’m thinking you were perhaps stating your amazement that Americans continue to be such gigantic racist douchebags and use the word so frequently. 

7 hours ago, hafnia said:

I think the issue is black people referring to each other as nigger ... now they fought so long for equal rights etc and they are calling eachotger an offensive word that would see them go mad if a white person called them. Strange.

There are a few ways of looking at this. First, we could do as you did and say “why would you do that to yourselves, Black people? Have some self respect!” But, I don’t know that putting full responsibility for the continued harmful effects of this term on black people (when the term continues to be used to denigrate and subordinate them) is the most fruitful or empathetic line of reasoning. The next step in this line of reasoning is “Well, Kanye West said it, so I didn’t feel too bad using it” or “If black people say it, then I can say it, too!” Second, we could denounce all use of the word, police it, and punish it accordingly. But, this denies our ability to even engage in discussions like this and denies the importance of context. If we can’t understand and parse our the different uses of the word “nigger,” then were no closer to understanding WHY we shouldn’t be using it. Third, we could see that black people saying “nigger” or “nigga” is a way of playing with and transforming a term of oppression—it often amounts to a term of endearment (“my nigga,” “this nigga over here,” etc.). This recognizes the ability of people to take something that oppresses them and recontextualize it in a way that takes away its power over them. Fourth, we could look at the use of the word “nigga” as a political statement that says “Yes. I am a nigger. Fuck you for making me into one. And, fuck you for telling me that I can’t even have that, because NOW you’re suddenly uncomfortable with it.” And, building off of that, we could say that white anxiety over the use of the term “nigger” or “nigga” by black people is produced by their own discomfort when it comes to recognizing their own legacy as racist oppressors and their reticence when it comes to confronting that history and doing something to actually change it. In other words, white people would rather erase racist history by policing racist words than change a racist present by confronting the racist world they live in and support through their racist practices. 

43 minutes ago, JoeQuince said:

It isn’t that the word carries less weight in the US. In fact, it carries a TON of weight. There are two things I’d say are going on in this case. First, of course, American society is extremely racist. Racism doesn’t simply happen at an individual level. Rather, we Americans inhabit (and constantly reproduce) a racist world, even as we deny being personally racist. So, many people use the word “nigger” AS IF it carries no weight. But, the word actually does plenty of violence and supports a culture in which those who are victimized by this word (and the racist ideologies and structures of American society) can easily have their voices and feelings made irrelevant or silenced. Second, context is key. That means, it isn’t just the use of the word “nigger,” but HOW it is employed and to what ends. In a chat room or on XBox live (or the PS network or whatever), often the word is used as a way of asserting one’s dominance or control, even if it seems like a throwaway or filler word. In other words, using the word “nigger” means showing one’s brazenness or non-chalant coolness. On the other hand, it can be used directly, as a way of pointedly putting someone down, even if they aren’t black. The point is that this word is quite often a way of demeaning others and supporting one’s supremacy and control over others (even if they themselves are not white or their target—should they have one—is not black). 

Looking at it again, maybe I read your statement wrong and assumed that you meant you thought “nigger” must carry less weight in the US. I’m thinking you were perhaps stating your amazement that Americans continue to be such gigantic racist douchebags and use the word so frequently. 

I certainly don't think it carries less weight in America and as you say (though I've not experienced it first hand) America does seem to be a far more racist society than the UK, although obviously it's still fairly widespread here. I had a black girlfriend for a while many years back and I got many a snide comment and sideways look.

18 minutes ago, JoeQuince said:

There are a few ways of looking at this. First, we could do as you did and say “why would you do that to yourselves, Black people? Have some self respect!” But, I don’t know that putting full responsibility for the continued harmful effects of this term on black people (when the term continues to be used to denigrate and subordinate them) is the most fruitful or empathetic line of reasoning. The next step in this line of reasoning is “Well, Kanye West said it, so I didn’t feel too bad using it” or “If black people say it, then I can say it, too!” Second, we could denounce all use of the word, police it, and punish it accordingly. But, this denies our ability to even engage in discussions like this and denies the importance of context. If we can’t understand and parse our the different uses of the word “nigger,” then were no closer to understanding WHY we shouldn’t be using it. Third, we could see that black people saying “nigger” or “nigga” is a way of playing with and transforming a term of oppression—it often amounts to a term of endearment (“my nigga,” “this nigga over here,” etc.). This recognizes the ability of people to take something that oppresses them and recontextualize it in a way that takes away its power over them. Fourth, we could look at the use of the word “nigga” as a political statement that says “Yes. I am a nigger. Fuck you for making me into one. And, fuck you for telling me that I can’t even have that, because NOW you’re suddenly uncomfortable with it.” And, building off of that, we could say that white anxiety over the use of the term “nigger” or “nigga” by black people is produced by their own discomfort when it comes to recognizing their own legacy as racist oppressors and their reticence when it comes to confronting that history and doing something to actually change it. In other words, white people would rather erase racist history by policing racist words than change a racist present by confronting the racist world they live in and support through their racist practices. 

Interesting analysis that Joe, thanks.

On 02/12/2017 at 19:50, johnh said:

MikeO,  there are actually two punishments.  One is flogging, which everyone chooses.  The other is Rubes reading the 5,000 word EU edict on cabbages - in Welsh.

Ican not read welsh very well  so unless those 5,000 words are very repetitive I am shafted :P