IGNORED

Sheffield United (Away) Monday July 20th

markjazzbassist

1 minute ago, markjazzbassist said:

Great result.  Away win and a clean sheet.  Improved performance from a lot of players.  Gylfi needs to be the 10 or nothing, he was great feeding passes and linking up in transition.  Walcott did well today too.  

Final ball was always off, but he did play some some decent stuff.

Just shows when the effort is there you can get the 3 points without firing on all cylinders.

Best moment for Branthwaite was a loosish touch at the back that went towards Keane but took control, made it his to deal with and it was instinctive. That’s what Keane lacks at times.

Kid is so impressive.

We looked a lot better not having our cms sitting on top of our Center backs.

12 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

He was defending and working really hard today, honestly probably the hardest I’ve ever seen him work.  He wanted it and that’s a good thing.

Don't disagree with that. Just the final ball was off in attack, which is really his primary function on the pitch; good that his overall contribution was better.

That is definitely the most I have enjoyed watching us this season. Whilst the first half was a bit boring, we gradually started to work them out and then in the second half we were by far the better team. The goal (great header) seemed to settle the lads down and almost all of them started playing some decent football. Who would have thought a change from 442 and being more prepared to go long would help hey?

Pickford had little to do and did everything he needed to.

Sidibe didn't do much wrong until the very end. It was like he went to wing back and forgot that he had to track his man. Other than that he was solid but nothing more.

Keane and Branthwaite struggled a little early with their passing and getting used to the traps being set by Sheffield but they both grew and grew and they looked great at the end. Both winning headers and making tackles. A big block from Branthwaite in the game and two huge headers from Keane at the end. Really impressed. 

Digne was combative as usual. Again not perfect but he showed a great attitude and kept going. Him and Richarlison weren't quite on the same wavelength.

What an absolute joy it was to watch Gomes today. He ran the game. He was finally given some rope to break forward and we saw the old Rolls Royce of a player get going again. His passing, his dribbling and his vision were great. 

Davies was a mixed bag. He was terrible first half, so far off the pace a bit like watching your dad play football in his 50s, but then he got better and better until right at the end when he gave away another possession stupidly. 

Yet again it was no surprise to see a player in their more natural position play much better and Siggy did that today. We played through him a lot better than we have done for a long time and he was much more comfortable. I thought he played well.

The wingers were like chalk and cheese. Whilst Richarlison was involved in everything, Walcott was invisible. He did turn up towards the end of the game for a brief cameo but otherwise it was another case of him being disinterested. Richarlison on the other hand wanted to be involved and the header he scored with was fantastic. 

Another poor game from DCL. He is trying but its a combination of poor touches, poor decisions and poor finishing. I still can't believe he didn't square the ball to Siggy after some great work to get him into the position he was. Like I said during his spree he is still the same player and it feels like this will be what we have to expect from him as the norm. I would love for him to score against Bournemouth and go out on a high. 

Not a great deal to say about the subs other than Gordon did well to dribble his way into the box and I think he should have hit it. He has the excuse of being young and inexperienced though and a more confident player probably would have had a go because nothing else was on. 

More of the same on Sunday please lads.

1 hour ago, Formby said:

Fretless like Jaco or slappy like Flea?

neither, it's fretted but i play fingerstyle (i never slap, hate that sound, sounds like cheesy 80's music to me).  i'm mostly a soul music and jazz guy, so it's a thick warm thumpy type sound (think motown) instead of a rock bass kinda grindy aggressive in your face thing.

2 minutes ago, c1982 said:

I thought DCL should have finished that personally. Been frustrating since the restart in my opinion.

Thought he did well to get to it in the first place. Don’t blame him for going alone for the other chance either, his first touch made the pass to Gylfi very tricky

8 hours ago, Matt said:

Thought he did well to get to it in the first place. Don’t blame him for going alone for the other chance either, his first touch made the pass to Gylfi very tricky

More disappointed by the chance from the Gomes pass. At least our forwards are getting chances.

10 hours ago, Matt said:

He’s desperate to get back into the goals again so squaring it never crossed his mind, which is what you should want from a striker, the problem was it was a fairly tame effort which led for the calls that he should have squared it. 
I’d rather have a striker hungry for goals. 

That first half... I thought we were just in for more of the same from the past few games. We looked very disjointed too, like we hadn't quite got to grips with the formation etc. It was so bad and I was relieved to get to half time so I wouldn't have to watch any more of it for a little bit.

Second half couldn't have been more different. I don't know whether the early goal was behind that or if we'd have huffed and puffed again but we looked much sharper and hungrier all over the pitch. We had players linking up, getting into space and looking to make things happen.

That's twice we've played these now and twice I've wondered how they're where they are in the league because they're very poor. They were truly fucking dog shit at Goodison, it just transpired that we were even worse.

Now, I want us to go and relegate another shit side in Bournemouth on Sunday. The myth that they play good football pisses me off, and hopefully relegation will finally stop the other myth that Howe is a good manager too.

4 hours ago, Palfy said:

He’s desperate to get back into the goals again so squaring it never crossed his mind, which is what you should want from a striker, the problem was it was a fairly tame effort which led for the calls that he should have squared it. 
I’d rather have a striker hungry for goals. 

I'd rather have a striker that makes the best decisions for the team and then in second I would have a striker hungry for goals (as opposed to desperate). I am not sure I have ever seen a player that can combine the two!  😂