• Fabian Delph
    • Gylfi Sigurðsson
    • Bernard
    • Dominic Calvert-Lewin
    • Alex Iwobi
    • Richarlison
    • Anthony Gordon

1 hour ago, pete0 said:

It's Digne's job to block his run off, if he loses his man he should give a shout. But Digne has completely switched off so they've ended up having a free man in the box. 

We have possession of the ball and Pickford doesn’t make the obvious play anyone would have expected which is to put his foot through it. In my view it’s not Digne’s responsibility to be bodying their attackers in the box and risking a penalty when we have possession. He’s not supposed to be glued to their forward when we have the ball 

31 minutes ago, SpartyBlue said:

We have possession of the ball and Pickford doesn’t make the obvious play anyone would have expected which is to put his foot through it. In my view it’s not Digne’s responsibility to be bodying their attackers in the box and risking a penalty when we have possession. He’s not supposed to be glued to their forward when we have the ball 

Lumping it is the last resort, had he been given a warning I'd imagine that's what he'd have done just as he tried to against spurs. He's not given a warning so rather than just give possession away he's let the ball run to enable the team to keep possession which is what the manager wants. If we just lumped it every time most likely that player wouldn't have closed down Pickford either, so it's the managers tactics that the opposition has took advantage of. 

Also what's the point in having defenders if you think you should just let the opposition run in the box and pressure the keeper? 

43 minutes ago, pete0 said:

Lumping it is the last resort, had he been given a warning I'd imagine that's what he'd have done just as he tried to against spurs. He's not given a warning so rather than just give possession away he's let the ball run to enable the team to keep possession which is what the manager wants. If we just lumped it every time most likely that player wouldn't have closed down Pickford either, so it's the managers tactics that the opposition has took advantage of. 

Also what's the point in having defenders if you think you should just let the opposition run in the box and pressure the keeper? 

The point of defenders is to defend when the opposition has the ball and act as outlets when we have it, not to wall off opposition forwards just in case our keeper does something idiotic. Pickford should be more aware than Digne who is facing our goal while Jordan can see everyone in front of him.  He was unprepared to receive the pass and unaware of his surroundings. If you actually watch it back you’ll see that once Keane plays the ball back Digne does exactly what he’s supposed to do and makes himself available as an outlet. You’re suggesting what he should have done is run towards Pickford along with their forward and create another body to block Jordan’s clearance. Again, we are in posessesion. Digne’s responsibility is to be an option to receive a pass, not stand next to the opposing forward and make himself useless. If you want to give some of the blame to Keane then OK but it’s laughable to suggest Digne who never touched the ball and who did exactly what he’s supposed to is at fault. 

9 minutes ago, SpartyBlue said:

The point of defenders is to defend when the opposition has the ball and act as outlets when we have it, not to wall off opposition forwards just in case our keeper does something idiotic. Pickford should be more aware than Digne who is facing our goal while Jordan can see everyone in front of him.  He was unprepared to receive the pass and unaware of his surroundings. If you actually watch it back you’ll see that once Kean plays the ball back Digne does exactly what he’s supposed to do and makes himself available as an outlet. You’re suggesting what he should have done is run towards Pickford along with their forward and create another body to block Jordan’s clearance. Again, we are in posessesion. Digne’s responsibility is to be an option to receive a pass, not stand next to the opposing forward and make himself useless. If you want to give some of the blame to Keane then OK but it’s laughable to suggest Digne who never touched the ball and who did exactly what he’s supposed to is at fault. 

Surely if he's made himself available Pickford would have found him. But Pickford isn't able to as Digne has let the man go and isn't available as the player he should have blocked off is now blocking the path for a pass to him. 

Also the reason Pickford hadn't lumped it is because he is unaware he's being closed down (and the managers tactics of playing from the back), the reason why he's unaware is because Digne didn't alert him. 

16 hours ago, c1982 said:

1st goal wasn’t solely Pickford’s fault but surely he’s experienced enough to know when to launch it... hey-ho, things like that happen now and again with this style - remember Alisson having a similar howler - the one Pickford actually commented on through the media (not been the same since!)

2nd goal is truly shocking though - the positioning on the initial cross - half coming then changing his mind - then the flap at the finish - pretty sure no one will be more disappointed than Pickford.

In reference to the second goal in particular anyone see this  added to the KFC twitter account?
KFC UK & Ireland on Twitter: "Jordan Pickford...… "

to be honest it's telling what the commentator says as it happens https://streamable.com/60dz6u Pickford has to make the save, no he can't = 🤦🏼‍♂️

15 hours ago, Hafnia said:

What did you love? Did you add up all the errors and see which keeper has made the most errors over 3 seasons?  Or 2 seasons if you want.... Either way no goalkeeper has made more errors than Pickford.....

Not sure how you interpreted it   

No keeper has conceded more goals from outside the box in 3 seasons either.

My son does play in goal for the U12 and honestly, I would've had a go at him for not stopping that, in fairness I actually think he would've.

In fact he's looking for a new club, anyone got Marcels number? ;)

4 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Just to note.... In the man of the match thread Pickford has zero votes.

For anyone interested in hearing professional opinion of him and the goals.. Head over to talk sport, they have dissected him fully.  

So many good performances last night from outfield players.  

They have. And Ally McCoist and Jamie O’Hara still said he was the best English keeper. 
Wont be taking too much notice of Perry Groves, he never has anything good to say about anything Everton. 

4 minutes ago, StevO said:

They have. And Ally McCoist and Jamie O’Hara still said he was the best English keeper. 
Wont be taking too much notice of Perry Groves, he never has anything good to say about anything Everton. 

Missed my point... So yeah man of the match .... Niels for me. 

I'm happy to continue debating Jordan in a thread which has absolutely no relevance to him but people usually moan about it. 

But yeah Niels and a shout out to iwobi who was excellent

Could have been quite embarrassing that, against a better side we wouldn't have come back from those two goals. Two clangers like that against Manchester City puts you three points down or out of the cup. I think that a goalkeeper will be on the transfer agenda, Carlo didn't look happy at all following the first goal and will quite rightly be asking questions behind the scenes. I still wouldn't drop Jordan for the likes of Lossl or Virginia, but would absolutely be looking to bring someone in to challenge him. 

Nkounkou was the stand out man for me, I'm excited to see him against proper opposition but there's all the ingredients of a very good player. His assist to Kean was just as good as a goal for me, didn't look up once yet foxed the defender and put it on a plate.

Amazed that some people are having a pop at a young kid with low confidence not celebrating as he scores the fifth in injury time. Made up that he (Kean) scored, hopefully spurs him on to do the same in the league. 

Charlie, Bernard, Iwobi were all insane, the latter looks a changed man. Happy to wave goodbye to the "Iwoeful" tag if this is what we have to look forward to, only player on the park that I'd question (other than Pickford) is Delph but I'll not go on a tangent and stop here. 

Onto the next round, happy days!

2 hours ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

Could have been quite embarrassing that, against a better side we wouldn't have come back from those two goals. Two clangers like that against Manchester City puts you three points down or out of the cup. I think that a goalkeeper will be on the transfer agenda, Carlo didn't look happy at all following the first goal and will quite rightly be asking questions behind the scenes. I still wouldn't drop Jordan for the likes of Lossl or Virginia, but would absolutely be looking to bring someone in to challenge him. 

Nkounkou was the stand out man for me, I'm excited to see him against proper opposition but there's all the ingredients of a very good player. His assist to Kean was just as good as a goal for me, didn't look up once yet foxed the defender and put it on a plate.

Amazed that some people are having a pop at a young kid with low confidence not celebrating as he scores the fifth in injury time. Made up that he (Kean) scored, hopefully spurs him on to do the same in the league. 

Charlie, Bernard, Iwobi were all insane, the latter looks a changed man. Happy to wave goodbye to the "Iwoeful" tag if this is what we have to look forward to, only player on the park that I'd question (other than Pickford) is Delph but I'll not go on a tangent and stop here. 

Onto the next round, happy days!

Fwiw I thought Delph was fine overall. Worth noting he isn’t a spring chicken and hasn’t played in a long long time. Everyone gets a fresh slate this season for me. 

12 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

yeah i've been a delph basher and i was plesantly surprised, he makes a decent CM backup for allan.  we need that.

We saw precious little of Gbamin before his injury but in theory he’s the backup/rotational play for Allan longterm. At which point we can move on from Delph and his wages.