IGNORED

Hull City (A) FA Cup 3rd round Sat 8th Jan 17:30

MikeO

League has to be priority however the kids showed us against chelsea we can rely on them. I’d keep Pickford in however. Probably a good chance to give the new signings a run…

Pickford 

Patterson Holgate Brainthwaite Myk.

Gbamin    Gomes  Onyango

Gordon             Simms             Dobbin 

Cant see Rafa starting Simms over Rondon unfortunately. Lacking depth on the wings and don’t want to over use gray. I hope Brianthwaite is fit/recovered.

2 hours ago, Btay said:

League has to be priority however the kids showed us against chelsea we can rely on them. I’d keep Pickford in however. Probably a good chance to give the new signings a run…

Pickford 

Patterson Holgate Brainthwaite Myk.

Gbamin    Gomes  Onyango

Gordon             Simms             Dobbin 

Cant see Rafa starting Simms over Rondon unfortunately. Lacking depth on the wings and don’t want to over use gray. I hope Brianthwaite is fit/recovered.

I really wish we'd do something like this, especially with the Leicester game coming up soon after, but I suspect Benitez will play most of the first team and swap out Pickford, Gordon, and Allan (for Begovic, Iwobi, and Gomes). Rondon will replace DC-L after 82 minutes (the only substitution).

5 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

I really wish we'd do something like this, especially with the Leicester game coming up soon after, but I suspect Benitez will play most of the first team and swap out Pickford, Gordon, and Allan (for Begovic, Iwobi, and Gomes). Rondon will replace DC-L after 82 minutes (the only substitution).

Iwobi will be away at AFCON. If Rondon starts I just hope he has Dobbin running off him as he looks a real live wire.

14 hours ago, Btay said:

Not sure I agree.  This one is going to be a tough one for Rafa.  If he loses to Hull things will become even more toxic.  Which in terms of his tenure makes this game much more important than Leicester.  He never plays 4-3-3.  Hoping we do not play 5 at the back but it might happen.  Best case scenario we play 4-2-3-1 or 4-1-4-1.  So I would go for something like this:

Pickford 

Coleman  Keane Godfrey   Myk.

Onyango Gomes     

Gordon         Doucs       Dobbin 

Simms

Assume Mina and Brainthwaite will still be unavailable or they would be in.  Maybe Keane and Doucs gain some confidence in this one? Then sub on Patterson and Grey. But Rafa would never... and Rondon most certainly will start this one.

1 hour ago, plaidharper said:

Not sure I agree.  This one is going to be a tough one for Rafa.  If he loses to Hull things will become even more toxic.  Which in terms of his tenure makes this game much more important than Leicester.  He never plays 4-3-3.  Hoping we do not play 5 at the back but it might happen.  Best case scenario we play 4-2-3-1 or 4-1-4-1.  So I would go for something like this:

Pickford 

Coleman  Keane Godfrey   Myk.

Onyango Gomes     

Gordon         Doucs       Dobbin 

Simms

Assume Mina and Brainthwaite will still be unavailable or they would be in.  Maybe Keane and Doucs gain some confidence in this one? Then sub on Patterson and Grey. But Rafa would never... and Rondon most certainly will start this one.

He needs to win this for a multitude of reasons, that’s to many changes for me I see him playing as many of the first team players that are available to him. 

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

He needs to win this for a multitude of reasons, that’s to many changes for me I see him playing as many of the first team players that are available to him. 

Me too. Maybe one of the new lads will start but I wouldn't count on it. 

Coleman might drop out for Branthwaite (if fit) with Godfrey moving to left back or Mykolenko might just replace him. 

I don't see much change in midfield and I think it would be a bad move to bench either Gordon or Gray. 

That leaves the fight up front and its pretty clear Rondon will win. Championship is probably his level at the moment so he should be fine! 

I feel a good cup run coming on.( or maybe just willing).

Stranger things have happened, I think a change of focus from the league will help. 

Put out as strong as team as possible, we had a decent break before Brighton game (which i think backfired a bit), so not worried about resting before Leiceter game, its actually some game time they are all needing now. 

I can see Mykolenko getting his debut start and Patterson maybe coming off the bench. 

3 hours ago, RuffRob said:

I feel a good cup run coming on.( or maybe just willing).

Stranger things have happened, I think a change of focus from the league will help. 

I won't be popular for writing this, but we don't need the FA Cup as a distraction right now. All our focus must be on avoiding relegation. As a word of explanation? Wigan.

Despite what I predicted earlier our manager will actually do, I'd rather he play as few regular starters as possible - giving other players the opportunity to make their case.

2 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

I won't be popular for writing this, but we don't need the FA Cup as a distraction right now. All our focus must be on avoiding relegation. As a word of explanation? Wigan.

Despite what I predicted earlier our manager will actually do, I'd rather he play as few regular starters as possible - giving other players the opportunity to make their case.

So let’s say he throws out the U23 you will be praising yourself if they win with the I told you so, and if they lose it will be the customary blaming Benitez. We have to win this game just for the confidence factor it will give the team, obviously I’m quite aware that if we win 90% of people on here still won’t be happy with Benitez, and will be expressing so after the game, but there comes a time surely when the team come before any individual gripes on one individual person, but I also realise 90% want us to lose so it speeds up the exit of Benitez and that’s fine, although very petty in my opinion but hey crack on boys. 

I don't want us to go out but if we do go out then I won't be as bothered as I would be in past years. Not because it brings us closer to getting shut of the manager but because relegation is a real fear right now and I want league points.

Then again, win this one and it could breed confidence going in to the Leicester game (if we played the majority of the first team in this game) and we haven't looked like putting any sort of winning, or at least unbeaten, run together since the very start of the season.

17 minutes ago, RPG said:

We need to play our strongest team but what the hell does that look like? Allowing for injuries, new signings, Digne situation etc, I think I would go with

Pickford

Coleman. Keane. Mina/Godfrey. Digne (to cup tie him)

Allan. Doucoure

Gray.                   Gomes/Townsend           Gordon

DCL

Hopefully the game is safe at 60 mins and we can introduce Patterson (for Coleman), Mykolenko (for Digne) and either Simms or Dobbin (for DCL).

Mina and DCL are unavailable.

48 minutes ago, RPG said:

Thanks, having a bit of a senior moment there. So:

Pickford

Coleman. Keane. Godfrey. Digne

Allan.   Doucoure

Gray.  Gomes. Gordon

Dobbin/Simms

Digne probably isn't playing either. He's posted a picture today with the caption 'no days off'.

I think we should go with a standard 442. 
                           Pickford. 
Coleman.  Keane.   Godfrey.   Mykolenko 

Gordon.    Doucoure.  Gomes.   Gray  

Dobbin.         Rondon.

With Dobbin just playing behind Rondon.

1 hour ago, RPG said:

I wouldn't argue with that team but it seems hard on Gordon. He has just started scoring and must be one of our few players not short of confidence at the moment. I would play him in that team instead of Townsend.

Changed it mate you were right about Gordon I completely forgot about him, shocking I know.