IGNORED

Pre-season 2022/23

MikeO

27 minutes ago, RuffRob said:

Parents at fault not the kids. We are in this age where people simply think their kids simply have a sense of entitlement.

Players now have to simply tell the kids "you not allowed on the pitch, please get off", and give them nothing. 

Exactly.

5 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

I spent 25 years in the Royal Navy, mostly based in Plymouth or Portsmouth so I know exactly what you mean!

Didn't know that Dunc, I was based at HMS Collingwood for a couple of years. Love that part of the country.

3 hours ago, Wall Writer said:

That pitch invasion malarkey needs to stop. That was embarrassing last night. That happens next week and the FA are gonna make an example of us quite quickly I feel.

Parents are responsible for this the players should be told not to remove their shirts. 

I think the club need to come out and make this point. I'd like to see Frank during his pre-match make reference to this, that there will be consequences not only for the club but for individuals as well.

It might also be worth getting the players to do a short clip thanking the fans for their support but that they need to stay in their seats for everyone's safety.

I'm afraid this pitch invasion nonsense is becoming a bit of a habit with us. And it's bound to end on tears.

I have finally had a chance to look at the highlights and again there are some more positives emerging.

Whilst I am not expecting to score too many goals like the first, Tarkowski played a perfect ball into Dom but he also played a lovely ball into Gray just before that as well, through the lines, into feet with the right amount of pace. He made a couple of decent tackles too, albeit one of them had a bit of a hefty follow through!

Iwobi is easily our most progressive passer. He gets into space and he sees where there is space to attack. He doesn't yet have the positional discipline to play in a 2 man midfield in my opinion but that can be coached.

What a great debut from McNeil, two good goals in very different ways. He is big lad and he has enough speed about him to cause the opposition problems.

It looked a decent debut for Vinagre too. Stood the defender up and put in a good ball for the goal.

We also didn't seem to give Kiev any genuine chances from open play so either they are really bad or our defending is starting to take shape. They certainly didn't cause us to panic in the same way Atlanta did.

The negatives were that I am not sure a 2 man midfield will work as well against Premier League opposition. For this formation to be effective, we need possession and the full backs need to get forward. If we can't control midfield, the full backs get pinned back and the ball gets turned over again and again. We then become reliant on taking one of our limited chances. 

Godfrey is just sloppy. I am not sure where his head is at. Someone give him a shake. He needs to improve a lot. Holgate is the same. 

Set pieces are still a problem, they had a couple of chances from them. One in particular was down to Mykolenko who is starting to make a habit of it by switching off and being too weak. I also worry he gets sucked in too often. 

Gordon and Gray lack in their decision making and their execution. 

Generally it didn't look like we created a lot. One goal was from a set piece, one was a bit fortunate and the other was a bit of individual brilliance. Dom had another chance from a corner and the only two worked chances I remember came from Gordon who took the wrong option/poor execution each time.

I am not really sure how these last couple of games would have prepared us for what is to come at the weekend but I wouldn't say that Chelsea are firing either and they don't really strike me as a side about to bang in the goals. 

20 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I have finally had a chance to look at the highlights and again there are some more positives emerging.

Whilst I am not expecting to score too many goals like the first, Tarkowski played a perfect ball into Dom but he also played a lovely ball into Gray just before that as well, through the lines, into feet with the right amount of pace. He made a couple of decent tackles too, albeit one of them had a bit of a hefty follow through!

Iwobi is easily our most progressive passer. He gets into space and he sees where there is space to attack. He doesn't yet have the positional discipline to play in a 2 man midfield in my opinion but that can be coached.

What a great debut from McNeil, two good goals in very different ways. He is big lad and he has enough speed about him to cause the opposition problems.

It looked a decent debut for Vinagre too. Stood the defender up and put in a good ball for the goal.

We also didn't seem to give Kiev any genuine chances from open play so either they are really bad or our defending is starting to take shape. They certainly didn't cause us to panic in the same way Atlanta did.

The negatives were that I am not sure a 2 man midfield will work as well against Premier League opposition. For this formation to be effective, we need possession and the full backs need to get forward. If we can't control midfield, the full backs get pinned back and the ball gets turned over again and again. We then become reliant on taking one of our limited chances. 

Godfrey is just sloppy. I am not sure where his head is at. Someone give him a shake. He needs to improve a lot. Holgate is the same. 

Set pieces are still a problem, they had a couple of chances from them. One in particular was down to Mykolenko who is starting to make a habit of it by switching off and being too weak. I also worry he gets sucked in too often. 

Gordon and Gray lack in their decision making and their execution. 

Generally it didn't look like we created a lot. One goal was from a set piece, one was a bit fortunate and the other was a bit of individual brilliance. Dom had another chance from a corner and the only two worked chances I remember came from Gordon who took the wrong option/poor execution each time.

I am not really sure how these last couple of games would have prepared us for what is to come at the weekend but I wouldn't say that Chelsea are firing either and they don't really strike me as a side about to bang in the goals. 

On Kiev, they were playing a mixed squad on an emotional night two days after playing in the Champion’s League. I wouldn’t read too much into their performance.

45 minutes ago, SpartyBlue said:

On Kiev, they were playing a mixed squad on an emotional night two days after playing in the Champion’s League. I wouldn’t read too much into their performance.

Well that would have me more worried about our performance then!